5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 2 Jan 2011
G. Muirhead (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soluzioni: A Practical Grammar of Contemporary Italian (HCG) (Paperback)
This book was the recommended text for the evening class I am doing. I can't recommend it highly enough if you're a serious student and are also studying with a teacher or using a book/CD combination. I have a good knowledge of written Italian but I don't speak it regularly, so I've found this book really helpful in clarifying a lot of the niggly little doubts I often have. It goes into great detail about usage but because it signposts each section according to whether it is core grammar or advanced, you can stop at the level that is approppriate without getting into too much detail if that's what you want. The exercises (with answers!) are useful for consolidating what you've learnt. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grammar Book, 27 Aug 2011
I bought this recently, having looked at reviews on Amazon and checked out the book in a book shop. I have not had it long, but have already found it invaluable. It answers all those niggling questions (in my case , at the time, the personal pronouns ci and ne) very clearly with a good number of examples to illustrate usage. For each area, content is labelled to show what is core and what is advanced language. It's a pretty comprehensive book that you probably would not read from cover to cover but I feel that it is absolutely what I need as someone who is making the transition between beginner and intermediate. The book is very well laid out and clearly presented. It uses a tabular system throughout for showing examples and to separate them from the explanatory text. You may think tables are a turn off but these are fine, with good use of bold text and restraint to the number of words used for the explanations. There are also useful exercises at the end of each section with answers at the back of the book. The index is also good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soluzioni: Second Edition (2010), 25 Jan 2011
R. Taylor "Bing Taylor" (CT but now UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first grammar book of any kind in any language that I don't hate - in fact I love it. The author's ability to make grammar not only interesting but easy to assimilate is (in my case anyway) nothing short of miraculous. I wanted a book that would make learning grammar fun so that I could use the language in a more sophisticated way than the 'street Italian' that I have picked up over the years. My Italian friends are impressed (and so am I) and I chalk it all up to this book. It's perfect for beginners right up to advanced intermediate people like myself. How I wish I could have had this book when I was a college student. The explanations are clear; the exercises are actually enjoyable and the solutions are all in the back. I've even found teachers' explanations hard to understand so I immediately go back to Soluzioni because I know that it will clarify things for me. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Feb 2011
J. Slotover (London, England) - See all my reviews
Soluzioni is brilliant! It is by far the clearest, most comprehensive and most enjoyable grammar book I have come across in the many years I've been studying Italian. It is excellent for all levels - from complete beginners right up to advanced students. For me, what makes this book stand out are the exceptionally interesting and imaginative examples and exercises - including excerpts from Italian newspapers and literature - which ensure you have completely understood all the grammatical points AND enjoy it in the process. In addition, there are online exercises so you can test yourself further. I can't imagine a better grammar!

4.0 out of 5 stars Soluzioni Review, 5 Nov 2011
I recently bought this textbook for the Italian degree I am doing at university. It's a good textbook which covers all the grammar you need for a degree. The instructions and questions are all written in English so it's not one of those books where you don't understand what you're meant to be doing for each exercise. The exercises themselves are useful as they not only improve your grammar but they also introduce you to lots of new vocabulary. Overall it is a good book and i would recommend it to anyone who is trying to improve their Italian grammar skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent: highly recommended, 3 May 2012
I chose this grammar after reading others' reviews, and they were right. It is comprehensive, thorough and grown-up. It uses contemporary and realistic examples and explores the exceptions as well as the rules; there is a short exercises section on each topic. I wouldn't be without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Concise and approachable Grammar, 19 Nov 2011
This book is at once easy to understand with extremely clear sections. It is a huge help to understanding the basic and advanced Grammar and is written in simple plain English; with extremely helpful examples and comments without being long winded. However if it is far from being as brief as the Schaums books or GCSE style books. Whilst the exercises are not the focus of the book, they help to reinforce the rules and exceptions well to reinforce what you have just read. All in all the most pleasant, comprehensive and easy to understand grammar I have ever come across which covers every eventuality in very advanced detail, whilst remaining concise.

Soluzioni: A Practical Grammar of Contemporary Italian (HCG)
Soluzioni: A Practical Grammar of Contemporary Italian (HCG) by Denise De Rome (Paperback - 30 April 2010)
21.62