5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and leaves you wanting more
I have a avid interest in psychology and have many books on the subject most of which have some real insights and learnings I refer back to. With Applied Psychology I find myself constantly referring back to the book, and alomost every section, in my professional life as a management trainer.

I don't have a formal education in pyschology and I think this book...
Published on 25 July 2006 by K. Mcdougall

2.0 out of 5 stars Read if you have NEVER had anything to do with Psychology
This book is for the people who have absolutely zero experiece and knowledge with psychology - which is made clear with the title of the book.

It explains basic principles and ideas on a child like level - which is not a bad thing.

Published 2 months ago by Philip Girelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and leaves you wanting more, 25 July 2006
K. Mcdougall "keithmc" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

I don't have a formal education in pyschology and I think this book would be way to basic for anyone with that background, however if you are someone looking to gain some insights in psychology or you want to know more on the huge subject that is psychology this book could be a great starting point.

It does leave you wanting more, but it also leaves you knowing which area of the discipline you want to know more about too.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 10 Feb 2011
This review is from: Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
I bought this book to teach myself and it is so great that I never wanted to finih it. It explains, evaluates and describes... I even recommend this book for people who do A level Psychology....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
Great book, very well written and great price. It is an intro to intermediate level and covers alot of content. I do quite like the "Teach yourself" series. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A straightforward book explaining the basics of psychology, 12 Oct 2001
This review is from: Psychology (TYE) (Paperback)
This book has proved to be very useful and excellent value for money. As a GCSE psychology student, the book has provided me with a clear understanding of the basics of psychology and more in depth information where required.
I would recommend this book to anyone studying at this level and possibly as an aid at A Level.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read if you have NEVER had anything to do with Psychology, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself (Paperback)

There are some chapters which I found intresting but for the most part, I got the impression of this just being a collection of simple tabloid knowledge (information you could read in a magazine/article).

So if you have never had any experience with psychology I guess this will give you an idea but instead just go online and search for an introduction to psychology - you will be better of because of the saved money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself, 1 Nov 2012
This is a lively book written in a clear relaxed style. As someone who studied the subject many years ago, the material presented in this volume served to show just how far the field has developed over the last decade or so. This book should appeal to students and the general reader alike and is ideal for those who are looking for a serious but not too technical introduction to the many facets of psychology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift idea, 13 Dec 2011
This review is from: Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
Bought this item as a gift idea for xmas. I have studied psychology myself and is a good book to get you going if you have no previous knowledge of the subject. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Reading, 30 May 2001
By A Customer
I think that this book will be a great resource with my studies, written in an easy to follow manner. It makes you really think about the subject

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book with a doubtful title, 3 Feb 2011
It's very tempting to argue that you CAN'T teach yourself Applied Psychology - to learn AND apply psychology you have to interact (in a discipline-specified way) with people as well as with a book. After all, the author actually points out that it takes eight years to become a fully qualified (clinical) psychologist. So, having read this book, and made notes on it, I can honestly say that I have NOT taught myself psychology, applied or otherwise. But I have definitely learnt a lot.

This is indeed a very worthwhile introduction to various strands of psychology, and I personally found the chapters on Clinical Psychology and Counselling Psychology especially informative. All the traditional bases are covered (e.g. the psychoanalytic, behavioural, humanistic, cognitive approaches, etc.) along with (as the title would suggest) the practical applications.

Like other reviewers, I have found this book to be a useful support to academic study, and I have no hesitation in recommending it. It really deserves five stars, but I have given it only four as I'm being pedantic about the title, and I take very seriously the author's warning about it being 'all too easy for people with only a limited amount of psychological knowledge to mislead the public, or to put that psychological knowledge into practice in a way which is manipulative and deceptive.'

4.0 out of 5 stars ideal reading for the layman and the academic, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself (Paperback)
Bought this for my girlfriend, only problem is she cannot get it out of my hands, great read for those with an interest in psychology. For those into serious study on the subject there is a section for further reading as well as a number of very informative psychology web sites, but for those with a passing interest with maybe ideas to expand their knowledge this is an exellent book. Nicky Hayes tries to keep it free of jargon and uses topics that try and relate to everyday life, find it very insightful in my dealings with my fellow humans. the text never gets long-winded but is very concise and informative.Much better than the Dummies guide to psychology books and definitely recommended for the amateur and for those wishing to deepen their understanding of the science.

Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself
Understand Psychology: Teach Yourself by Nicky Hayes (Paperback - 29 Jan 2010)
8.99