Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 April 2008
After starting my own small business I realised I knew nothing about keeping accounts so I bought this book from Amazon. I have been using the recommended system for the last tax year and now that I am about to complete my second self-assessment tax return I am impressed at how simple it is to work out my income and also to calculate how much I have spent in the various tax-deductible categories.

I have taken off one star because in some places I thought things were not quite as clear as they could have been - nevertheless this is an extremely useful guide. I noticed that Amazon are promoting this book along with `Understanding tax for small businesses' - I have them both, and together they make it much easier for a novice like me to keep good accounts and fill in a tax return.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2012
This book is not going to turn you into an expert accountant. It won't tell you about how to use a spreadsheet, and you are unlikely to gain any significant understanding about the workings of the UK tax system.

What it does do, is provide a clear and simple mechanism for keeping track of your business accounts. The format in the book, which I'm sure is pretty rudimentary by most accountants' standards, is clear and simple. It shows you what information you need to keep and where to keep it, and what the key principles are for why you need it as well. If you keep all the paperwork as recommended in the book, you should at least not have an accountant pulling their hair out at the year end...

In my (beginner's) opinion it's well worth the money. I'd also recommend having a look at the example spreadsheets provided at http://www.startupscotland.co.uk/toolbox/bookkeeping-spreadsheet-excel-template/ They follow the same principle and should give you a good idea of how the this system can be converted into a electronic version.
on 24 July 2011
Even after being in business for a few years, i thought i would take a look at an update on what is needed now. I am glad i did as it has helped me to cut down on my paperwork.
on 29 August 2013
I don't usually review books I haven't read - but in this case I think my comment might be useful to some people. Using the look-inside feature I noticed that the intro refers to preparing your (personal) self-assessment, but NOT submitting the annual accounts of a limited company. Then on page 9 I think, it says this book is suitable for sole traders and partnerships. If that is your setup, then fine. But many, if not most, small businesses are registered limited companies (like my own). This means there is a huge chunk of information this book does not cover - which in my opinion makes the title highly misleading.
on 24 March 2015
very easy to read and understand would recommend to anyone who is starting their own small business or who is doing the treasurer accounts for a charity or small group.
on 10 July 2014
Great book for small businesses, lots of information
on 22 February 2013
this is a great book to get started in running your own business, which I am hoping to do next year with my husbands help. I would recommend this book to my friends.
on 26 February 2014
Excellent all round. Great service.Great communication. A pleasure to do business with.Hope to deal with you again. Very happy with my purchase.Thank You!!!
on 15 March 2014
well impressed with this product i like it that much i told my friends and family and they bought it too so get it yourself
on 10 January 2016
Very informative - easy to read
as chapters are well set out and can be read in isolation