4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant
I was hooked on The Rithmatist by page 29. I wasn't sure what to expect as sometimes this kind of book can be too 'kiddy,' but it's actually perfect in almost every way. The amount of detail that has gone into creating Joel's world is astounding; not only has an entirely new system of magic been created (complete with full explanations and diagrams), but it also includes...
Published 17 months ago by H. Whitehead

3.0 out of 5 stars OK...
Love Brandon Sanderson's work. This is, admittedly, aimed at younger readers. However, if you're desperate for something to read, then this is a reasonable time-filler. However, don't expect something along the lines of his more usual offerings, because it's not THAT great... Wish he'd concentrate on finishing his really good stuff, instead of paying the rent with...
Published 7 months ago by Graham

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Applause!, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
What a fun book! I absolutely loved this quirky, totally unique clock punk fantasy. This was my birthday present to myself. :) Highly recommended for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just young adult fiction, 4 Aug 2013
D Abbott (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
I stopped being a 'young adult' over 30 years ago, and still found this a totally riveting read. I don't know how Sanderson manages to invent such realistic alternative worlds with different but consistent rules/laws to ours, but he's done it again. Within pages you are sucked into this new world and start to care about the characters, the issues and the challenges they face. Every page was a delight to read, and every time I put the book down was a wrench.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another world I would like to inhabit, 25 July 2013
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
Brandon Sanderson never ceases to surprise me with the variety of genres he can conquer, his latest book "The Rithmatist" combines a world that could be ours with streamlining themes and a mathematical twist. Strong and believable characters, a twisty plot and the promise of more mean this book is not just for children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent magical yarn!, 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
Maths. For so many school-goers, such a difficult subject to get to grips with. If only there was a way to make it more exciting. Maybe with laser beams, or explosions perhaps, or, even better, what if your geometric diagrams came to life to do battle with those of other students?

Well, in New York Times-bestselling author Brandon Sanderson's young adult novel, The Rithmatist, that is exactly what does occur in the classrooms of Armedius Academy. Unfortunately for the book's protagonist, Joel, however, he's strictly forbidden from studying the magical, mathematical art he finds so alluring.

Joel is the son of a lowly, deceased chalk-maker, and is only granted attendance to the prestigious Academy because his father and the principal were such close friends. Sadly, attendance is not enough to allow Joel into the exclusive Rithmatic lectures he so desperately wants to be a part of. Rithmatists (magical individuals who can bring chalk diagrams and monster-like chalklings to life) are few and far between and their art is a closely guarded secret.

Joel is a bright young thing, though, and, through his messaging duties, sneaks his way into many a lecture on the Rithmatic campus. With his keen mind and well-honed mathematical ability, he eventually manages to work himself into the good books of an elderly Rithmatic professor, and even earns himself the chance to be the man's assistant over the summer break.

Sanderson has created a fine magical world and the Rithmatic system, which is fairly complicated, is transmitted impressively through short, intermittent textbook-style explanations. With the existence of magic not being hidden from the masses (as in Harry Potter), the book also offers a fascinating account of the social implications of magicians interacting with muggles. Prejudice and jealously all rear there ugly heads and this aspect of the story is surely the novel's greatest strength.

The actual Rithmatic duels are also wonderfully exciting, despite, at their core, consisting of two individuals scribbling pictures on the ground. There is, however, the odd problem. For example, the resemblance of snide Professor Nalizar to Professor Snape is difficult to ignore, and many of the book's relationships develop in a fairly predictable manner.

Overall, however, The Rithmatist is an excellent tale which creates a beautifully textured world and, when Rithmatists slowly begin to disappear, the story really does have you desperate to find out what's going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising read that I couldn't get enough of, 22 July 2013
I have spotted The Rithmatist on other blogs and was very interested to see what it was about, when the chance came to review the audiobook I said yes immediatley, and as soon as the book was downloaded I began listening straight away, and every day, except the day I left my iPod at work, till I finished the book.

I was immediately drawn into the world Brandon has created, and whilst listening it reminded me slightly of the world of Harry Potter, just without the wizards, and wands. Rithmatists have the ability to draw chalk lines and protect themselves and others from attack, until danger strikes and soon the Rithmatists are disappearing, leaving behind mysterious chalk lines and patterns that no one can make sense of.
I absolutely love the idea about how chalk gives the Rithmatists the ability to duel, draw Rithmatist lines for defence, and chalklings to attack others lines, where your ability to win is not determined by how physically strong and tough you are, but on how well you can draw your lines, defend them, and attack others lines.

Joel, the protagonist, isn't a Rithmatist but has the amazing ability to understand the lines and draw them perfectly, down to the last millimetre, and knows a lot about Rithmatic abilities. He is drawn into this mystery as he is initially allowed to study under a professor, and ends up helping the professor study old census's trying to find clues into who could be responsible for the disappearances. Unbeknown to the professor, and the police force called in to investigate, Joel turns out to be a remarkable help in working out the clues.
Melody, who is a Rithmatist, is another student under the same professor, who is there to study the lines and practise them over and over again to make herself better, isn't immediately a likeable character to me, but a we get to know her she soon grew on me and I looked forward to listening to the banter between Joel and Melody, and also see what this unlikely duo would get up to next. I love how she is completely opposite Joel personality wise and in a situation that is dangerous to Joel, she is quick to be offended for not being invited to the 'party'.

As The Rithmatist progresses we learn more about Melody and Joel. We learn about Melody s family and her background, and also why Joel isn't a Rithmatist, and my heart broke for him when I found out the truth. When Melody suggests a possible solution to Joel's problem I wanted to hug her for actually caring about Joel and his dreams.

The Rithmatist was a surprising 'read' for me, from the synopsis alone it sounded interesting, but as I began to listen I found myself falling into this world hard and fast, reluctantly turning it off when I had to socialise with work colleagues in the staff room when all I wanted to do was keep listening. The author not only draws you under his spell with the world he has created, but the narrator brings this world to life with the way he tells the story. The different tones used for characters made it easy to distinguish who was speaking and hours would pass by quickly while I listened.

I enjoyed trying to guess who was responsible for the disappearances and why, and while I guessed the wrong character, I was correct in thinking there was something not quite right with him. One thing I miss out on with the audiobooks is getting to see the diagrams of the lines that come before in each new chapter beginning. The Rithmatist was a great read from start to finish, and I intend to pick up a physical copy soon so I get to have it on my shelf, and also so I get to see the drawings.

I also can't believe we have to wait till 2015 to find out what happens next........really......that long.....it's torture.

**Audiobook was provided free in exchange for an honest review**

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
While the writing style is perhaps a little too simplistic for adults the story was original and really quite cool. It was a surprising read and i look forward to the next.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
Not, in my view as good as the mistborn trilogy or Elantris, but I still enjoyed it. It's the first in a trilogy or series, but it works as a stand alone book too

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
After reading the description I was left wondering and to be honest I wasn't going to buy the book. It sounded as boring as......well... Chalk dust. The only reason I downloaded in the end was because it was Brandon Sanderson. I'm so glad I did! Brandon has an amazing imagination, how he thinks up these worlds and different magic for them is beyond me, again he brought another story to life with his incredible writing. Highly recommend this book, I was thoroughly disappointed when it ended - looking forward to book two!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good story from Sanderson, 8 July 2013
T. Zielinski (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
Like always Snaderson provided us with a new World governed by a new rules and concepts. However it is a bit simplistic comparing to other of his stories, too much of the 'teenager' prose for my taste. Still, I am going to read the next part if published.

4.0 out of 5 stars As usual from this author a great book and an enjoyable read, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
As usual from this author a great book and an enjoyable read. Only didn't give it 5 stars because his better books are so much better - but he is pretty much in a league of his own at the moment. Thoroughly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good action fantasy and everyone who loved comic books.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
Used & New from: £11.20