4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant
I was hooked on The Rithmatist by page 29. I wasn't sure what to expect as sometimes this kind of book can be too 'kiddy,' but it's actually perfect in almost every way. The amount of detail that has gone into creating Joel's world is astounding; not only has an entirely new system of magic been created (complete with full explanations and diagrams), but it also includes...
Published 14 months ago by H. Whitehead

3.0 out of 5 stars not his best
The author is one of my regulars and I await his books with anticipation. This seemed more like a young adult book. Ok but only 3 stars for me.
Published 4 months ago by jb

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER WINNER FROM BRANDON SANDERSON, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
Yet another form of magic from a very talented writer. Strong story line with well defined characters which, whilst it appears to be aimed primarily at the teen market (five stars for this market) will appeal to readers of all ages. I got through it very quickly which usually correlates to a book which holds my interest. I am looking forward to reading yet another sequel from a writer who has a number of excellent story lines running in other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Write quickly Mr Sanderson, so I can read the next one, and the next...., 15 Jun 2014
B. Turner (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
I have now read every published book by this author, and this one was up there with all the others as a fabulous read....world building, magic system, characters and plot are all beautifully done. The tone of this one, for me, is like Harry Potter (which is high praise as I loved that series). Joel and Melody, the main characters, are really the best part - they are fully developed people, despite the fast pace of the book and the easy writing style. All the other characters are also very well done....as the plot moves along at its page turning best, new facets of every character are revealed along the way - just wonderful. As ever with Brandon's books, the reveals on the magic system are inventive and retain a sense of mystery. You know that more of this mystery will be revealed in future books in the series, another well crafted narrative that runs as a constant thread in the book. I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea...if you haven't read it already, then lucky you - you have that pleasure to look forward to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
You must read this book. It is original, intricate, fascinating and gripping. The characters are very engaging and the story fairly hums along. Can't wait to read the next instalment. I want to say a special thank-you to the writer for writing a fully rounded mystery and not an introduction to the next book as many seem to be doing. Classy and professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Sanderson Great, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Hardcover)
I love Brandon Sanderson. His books are always imaginative and take an interesting spin on a what appears to be a simple idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rithmatist, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
Loved this. I read about 100 books a year and this makes my current top 10. Brilliantly inventive, like nothing else out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars not his best, 29 April 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars OK..., 17 April 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Paperback)
Love Brandon Sanderson's work. This is, admittedly, aimed at younger readers. However, if you're desperate for something to read, then this is a reasonable time-filler. However, don't expect something along the lines of his more usual offerings, because it's not THAT great... Wish he'd concentrate on finishing his really good stuff, instead of paying the rent with this kind of offering, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars unexpectedly loved this, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Paperback)
can't wait for the next one, this was an unexpected breath of fresh air from B.Sanderson, he keeps finding ways to impress

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Kindle Edition)
An engaging and fascinating world is teased into the open with plenty of plot and interesting characters. Worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Rithmatist (Hardcover)
I'm quite amazed to be in strong like of this story!
I can only guess it's classified as YA in the hope of drawing YA's into the "magic" which geometry actually is. Shame it wasn't about in my own schooldays - I loathed and couldn't make sense of the stuff! - but as a middle-aged adult this story is calling strongly to me. Go figure ... if I may use the expression!

On top of the actual content, I love the illustrated chapter headings, each one different, with even little starbursts around each page number, and best of all the covers of both paperback (used for Kindle version too) and the hardback. I'll get a copy of this for myself (presently reading a Library loan) when I actually choose which version to treat myself to. Very well done to Ben McSweeney the Illustrator - the magic of the story has been represented beautifully. Very well done the author Brandon Sanderson, too. Looking forward to the next one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
Used & New from: 2.62