Format: Paperback|Change

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 5 year old son has just finished year 1 of primary school and in the national tests was above average but he is far from being able to read fluently. We do not push him but we do expect him to read aloud on a daily basis and we try to find books that engage him.

Poppy the Pirate Dog is a reasonably long book and is broken up into several chapters. The language is very close to that used in the school Biff/Kipper books but with several new words that are common enough but not in daily usage. The illustrations are basic but again consistent with the style used in his school books.

Overall this is a good complement to school based learning and one we will use over the long summer break to ensure that our son's reading does not go backwards when he is not at school.
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Poppy the Pirate Dog is a story about a family who take their dog with them on holiday. Poppy is convinced that she would make a good pirate dog, and cannot understand why she keeps getting nervous when accompanying the family on their various trips to sea. The tale goes on to explain how Poppy finally finds the kind of boat that works for her.

The story is written with text that is slightly larger than average, which reminds me of school reading books.There are several lines of text per page, and illustrations make up the rest. It is made up of six chapters, which makes it perfect for a child who is learning to read and wants to have a break for a bit. In our house we read half the story one night, and the second half the following night, so it depends on the speed of the person reading it, or whether it is a joint effort.

I would imagine that it is suitable for most children within the age range of 3-7 depending on what you want it for. My daughter is almost 4 and so she contributed any words she knew, and I filled in the rest. A child who has completed a whole year of school may very well manage most of this alone. It is up to you to know whether you intend it to be read by the child, or to the child.

Overall, I would recommend this tale. It is presented in a lovely manner, with pictures that really do contribute to the feel of the story and it is well written for children who are still mastering their reading skills.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My children have enjoyed other books in the early reader series, and this one did not disappoint at all. What's appealing to a young reader making the transition between staged readers and "real" books, is the fact that the pages are peppered with bright illustrations and the text isn't too long on each page.

This was the first book of this type that my daughter, aged 6, had tried, and she read it first in one sitting as she was engaged from the start by the story of the family and dog on holiday. The 78 pages are broken up into short chapters and it is ideal for reading aloud to a parent or for starting to read independently. The story sees Poppy finding being a pirate dog and taking to the seas trickier than she thought - will she find her sea legs? To find out you will have to read the book.

There are a few tricky words through the story; "pier" and "knot" that provide the right level of challenge without being too intimidating. The print is nice and clear and quite large without looking like it is from a first reader.

This is a lovely book that is a fitting addition to the series, I think it would appeal to boys and girls alike. Highly recommended.
on 26 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I struggle to get the right balance in choosing a book for my six year old daughter because she has been a confident, fluent reader since she was four. She gets through short books too quickly, but gets bored if books are too long without enough engaging illustrations. Poppy the Pirate Dog has beautiful illustrations all the way through, the print is the ideal size to fit enough on a page without it looking like too much. As soon as this book arrived, my daughter was keen to make a start, and she set to work on reading a chapter each day. She thoroughly enjoyed it, and the language was at the perfect level for her.

I would recommend this book to anybody who is looking for books to engage a 'difficult to please' young reader!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Poppy The Pirate Dog is an early reader title aimed at those children moving on to 'proper' books which are that little bit longer.

That said, the story appealed to my 7 year old as much as my 6 year old girl who both loved the characters and the tale of the dog who wanted to be a pirate but couldn't get her sea legs.

My eldest child read through the book fairly quickly, but some of the words were slightly longer for the younger child, though she was keen to read the rest of the story. It helps that the writing is very descriptive and the story is fun, encouraging further reading.

Alongside the words on each page are some nicely detailed pictures that help the children visualise the characters and splits the text up nicely to prevent a whole page of writing putting children off.
on 6 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Poppy the Pirate Dog comprises six chapters of the adventures the Brown family has, taking Poppy the Pirate Dog on holiday. It's a fun book for early readers (it's quite challenging actually) but also a nice book to read with a young child, with nice illustrations throughout. From that perspective it's difficult to know what the age range is... I'd guess 4-8 (with 4 being where the adult will be doing most the reading!). I'd say it's equally appealing to boys and girls.

If I was to make a criticism perhaps it would have been better as 6 short stories.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
How nice to find a book that moves on from baby board books but hasn't made its' way on to full text. This has a couple of line of text per page and a clear illustration of what the text has said. Just right for starting to read and moving your finger along the line as you read it out loud.

Although this is not yet a favourite with my little girl who starts school after the holidays, she does like it & I love it. I would be happy to have more of the set.
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 3-year old son really enjoyed this story, it was the first he ever read that had chapters. The chapter lengths are about right to have one chapter a night at bedtime, which extends the life of the book! Ever since he has looked for other books with chapters. The story is good, although didn't captivate my son's imagination for as long as the contents page (he loves reading the chapter titles and page numbers!).
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is ideal for 4-8 year olds with 4 year olds being read to and 6-8 year olds reading by themselves or to a grown up. It has 6 short chapters each of which would take 5 mins for an adult to read, 10-15 minutes for a child. The words are generally fairly simple and broken up by the colourful illustrations (like others in the Early Reader series). The story was ok (adult opinion!) - my child enjoyed it but more importantly, he enjoyed the fact that he was reading text that looked like that in a real book.
on 19 June 2014
Really enjoyed this book my six year old loves it he reads it to me and loves the fact it has colourful pictures and chapters