4.0 out of 5 stars very good, certainly, 3 Aug 2013
schumann_bg - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I like The Sissy Duckling for its colourful main character and message of tolerance. However it is difficult to make the word "sissy" a term of self-affirmation as happens here - it's a bit like the word "queer", used for a time in the 90s by activists and then dropped. I think such strategies are only partially successful, but this is just my own feeling. The illustrations here are good but fall short of the very best, I think - next to someone like Janosch they seem to lack a lightness of touch, an aesthetic interest, which I think one is never too young to be appreciative of. But the duckling himself is very likeable and the story has plenty of pizzazz and is good for discussion. Plus he has a splendid floral backpack!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 May 2013
G. Brock - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sissy Duckling (Paperback)
I read this with my Year 5 class this week & they responded extremely well to the book's themes of stereotype and gender roles, all done in a sweet, accessible way for young people. I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nephew's favourite, 13 Sep 2008
Mr. Rj Desmond "joeinbow" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sissy Duckling (Hardcover)
I bought the book for my nephew because I have a stake in his growing up tolerant of difference... He chose to get it out to show the teacher on the pre-school home visit as his favorite book.

There are lots more reviews on Amazon.com but I think it is truely wonderful book and it seems children agree.

The Sissy Duckling
The Sissy Duckling by Harvey Fierstein (Paperback - 21 Jan 2014)
5.25