4.0 out of 5 stars For growing imaginations
This first book of The Spiderwick Chronicles introduces young readers to the world of fantasy in a fun and easy to read format. It is written in simple language, and is short enough and exciting enough to hold the attention of even the most restless reader.
Published on 29 Oct. 2004 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
This book is OK but not anything fantastic. I recomend it to any fantasy reader. I bought this book and had never heard of It but I thought it would be good for me. And after reading the book I was comfortably happy with it.
Published on 6 Mar. 2004 by Luke Thornton

4.0 out of 5 stars For growing imaginations, 29 Oct. 2004
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The three main characters are the children of the Grace family, Jared, Simon and Mallory, who move into a dilapidated mansion, and stumble upon a world of magical folk.
With the aid of the Field Guide of the title, which Jared discovers after solving a riddle he finds in a secret room, they begin their adventures in the faerie world, realizing that they have just glimpsed the tip of the fantasy iceberg.
Though not a challenging read for older folk, this book provides good groundwork for future forays into the world of Narnia, Lemony Snicket and Artemis Fowl, though not necessarily in that order.
Magically lure your 6 to 10 year olds into the world of fantasy - get them The Spiderwick Chronicles today.
Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 18 Nov. 2003
AC (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the first book in the adventures of the Grace children. In it Jared finds the Field Guide, a book about magical creatures, but even once he has read it he still does not realise how dangerous it is. It is a very exciting book for young people to read and I just could not put it down once I started reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome beginning, 3 May 2011
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am a big fan of both Black and DiTerlizzi, but I had not gotten around to going back and reading these books. I must admit after reading this first one, I will be devouring the rest of this series and the three books in the Beyond Spiderwick series. I have seen and enjoyed the movie but so long ago it did not affect my reading of the book. I had big expectations for this book and it did not disappoint.

The five books in this series can really be taken as one continuous story. Yet they were originally published individually. They are available in a boxed set and a single volume omnibus edition. But no matter how you read them you will be enchanted by the world presented by Black and DiTerlizzi.

The story follows 3 children, Jarod, Simon, and Mallory as they move into a relative's home. Soon they discover the house has secrets, from a dumb waiter, to a hidden library, and even residents that the children previously would not have believed existed. This first instalment into their story is fun and rambunctious as children are often wont to be. It is the beginning of what looks to be an awesome series.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 6 Mar. 2004
Luke Thornton (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Salami publishing, 1 July 2008
My nine year old daughter loved this beautifully illustrated and exciting morsel, but completed it in just one sitting. It is interesting and unique, but is hardly a story. It should qualify as a mere chapter in a book - what actually happens, after all? Some children discover a secret room and a book that's it. I blame the publishers for this salami-type publication. Imagine if Northern Lights or the Lord of the Rings or the sublime Narnia series were chopped up into bite-sized chunks like this... one would spend a fortune getting the whole story onto one's bookshelf. So I would recommend this highly if money and wasting trees are no problems to you, but if you care about value for money, and conserving natural resources, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 April 2015
This review is from: The Field Guide (Spiderwick Chronicles) (Paperback)
Great

The Field Guide (Spiderwick Chronicles)
The Field Guide (Spiderwick Chronicles) by Tony DiTerlizzi (Paperback - 7 May 2013)