Format: Hardcover|Change

My daughter loves the Olivia books and this one is great fun. Another reviewer has commented on adult language, and I do accept that these books appeal to adult humour, but they are equally understandable to children. In this story, Olivia bemoans the fact that all the little girls want to dress as pink princesses, while she is looking for a "more stark, modern style..." As always, the illustrations are sublime and Olivia, who always has her own look, finally decides how she can compete, but still better all the princesses.

I think the Olivia books are intelligent, well written and quirky. This book does not rubbish girls who want to be pink princesses, but stresses that little girls can have their own style and individuality. In other words, if you have a little girl who is not a pink princess (and my own little girl is still very much a fan of pink, but still found this book amusing) there are, indeed, other alternatives. Olivia is in a class of her own and, if your little girl enjoys these books, she may also like Eloise.
on 12 October 2012
I enjoyed the book. My kids enjoyed the book. Although we got different things out of it. Reminded me a bit of The Muppets in their day. I try and read to my children regularly, and it's nice (a relief!) to have a few books in their collection that I can get a kick out of too. Much easier to sustain the practice.

There is a fair bit of vocab and concepts that would (initially) go over their heads. I'm ok with that. I try and choose the book when I have a bit more time to read, and can have some little side chats about the language in it. It's easily done, and I think kids are quite able to learn new challenging vocabulary in this way. Book starts with "Olivia was depressed". Simple to have a side chat; Do you know what depressed means? How do you think she looks in the picture? Yes, she looks very very sad doesn't she?

I don't think the book rubbishes the overwhelming number of princessy kids, questions it, yes. That was part of it's appeal for me.
on 25 February 2014
Wasn't quite so pleased and happy with this book like his others. It was ok, but i felt the story did not quite flow as much and bits were put in to the book to bulk it out. The origina Olivia story, Olivia joins a circus and the Missing Toy are much better books than this one, although this is still clever and the drawings are beautiful.
on 4 April 2014
We love Olivia in this house anyway, but this book is great for telling (in an amusing way) small girls that there are other things to aim for in life than being a pink princess. Such a nice change from a lot of current society / advertising. Encourages independence of thought & ambition. Fab.
on 7 December 2012
The quality and animation in this book is fantastic. The colours are vibrant and the quality is outstanding. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 29 January 2013
As funny as usual... a big fan of Olivia's books... Not the first one bought and there will be more.
on 14 May 2015
I bought this book for my granddaughter who is called ..... Olivia. She loves the pictures, the words .... such fun.
on 28 December 2015
my grand daughter loves these books good value will be buying more
on 11 April 2015
A lovely story.
on 9 September 2012
The language & humour is for adults. 'Olivia was depressed', 'corporate malfeasance' and the book rubishes children who want to be pink princesses.