5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite author
Published 10 months ago by Jenny

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time.
Published 12 months ago by Millie

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time., 3 July 2014
This review is from: Winger (Paperback)
Winger follows Ryan Dean, the imperfect protagonist who sticks out like a sore thumb in his boarding school. Although a junior, Ryan is only 14 and has just been moved to live in Opportunity Hall as a result of a previous scandal regarding a phone. At this point in the review, you're probably thinking - this is just what it says in the synopsis. Well, that's all I can say. To be perfectly honest, I thought there was nothing to this story and for a book of this size, it was really boring.

The start of the book was OK but still a bit dull. However, I presumed this was just because the author is introducing us to the setting and the characters. Therefore, I chose to stick with it. I struggled through about 250 pages of this book to only feel like I have just wasted 1 week of precious reading time. In that 250 pages, nothing and I mean nothing happens. The book is just the life of a boy at school. The usual banter with his friends, obsessing over a girl he can't have a and troubles with the jock. At this point, I really couldn't understand why the book had received the amount of hype it has already had. So, I did a bit of research and went to look for why people loved it.

Most people said that the twist near the end of the book was what made it. Going against all my book morals, I skipped to page 400 (the location of the twist). Firstly, what a waste of a book if the only reason it is good is on page 400 out of a 439 book! Once I got to this location, I thought I would struggle to follow it as I had missed many pages. I was wrong! Obviously, I was right to skip them pages as nothing had happened in them and I knew exactly what was going on. Keeping an open mind, I went into the last section of this book expecting a huge twist. Without spoiling anyone, this twist was disappointing. The event was shocking only because it was quite horrific but was very predictable and cliche. The event was skipped over as there were only 39 pages left and at the end I still felt as though I had wasted valuable time bothering with this book.

However, I cannot ignore the witty humor which is included in this book. This humor though was cast aside as I became bored. Overall, a very disappointing book with literally nothing happening in such a large book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Winger, 2 July 2014
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Winger (Paperback)
Winger is one of those books that everyone is raving about. Reviews have been really good, people are talking about it and a good amount of hype is present. So I read it in the hopes that I would feel the same, but unfortunately I didn't. I didn't love it, didn't hate it, I'm just kind of comfortably resting in the middle. While written well, I found it too slow and wasn't even surprised by the ending. I saw it coming a mile off, which in itself is unusual for me.

This is the first book of Andrew Smith's that I've read, and I have Grasshopper Jungle sat waiting. He's a good writer - I can see why everyone says that - but for me Winger fell a little flat. It's also really long, like Fangirl long, though its short chapters helped speed things along. I did struggle to get into it at first, probably for the first half of book, but then something clicked and I started enjoying it more. I had to finish it, of course, but it's not one I'm clamouring to talk about.

Winger is set at Pine Mountain boarding school where fourteen-year-old Ryan Dean West attends. He's a rugby player, in love with his best friend Annie and is possibly the most intelligent fourteen-year-old I've ever read about. It's really just about his life there, growing up and finding out what people and friends are like. Nothing much happens, truth be told, and it very much reminded me of Catcher in the Rye (which I also didn't like). Like I said earlier, even the ending didn't leave me surprised or heartbroken, which I think was the point of it. I know a lot of readers felt differently, so maybe I just spotted the foreboding clues too early.

One part of Winger that I really like is the inclusion of comic strips and drawings. It adds to Ryan Dean's narration and makes it more personal, so his thoughts are literally on the page. It's a nice addition to the novel, and it does make it stand out more than it otherwise would. I personally found Ryan Dean to be irritating and unrealistic, though I loved his comic strips and his diagrams. Go figure.

I usually love coming of age stories set at boarding schools, but Winger just didn't do it for me. It's a not a good start when a reader doesn't gel with the main character, and I think that's my problem here. I did like the humour in the novel though, as well as some of Ryan Dean's friends and the serious turn the story takes. Overall, though, I expected more and am disappointed that I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else. As always, do read it and decide for yourself, and I hope you like it more than I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite author, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Winger (Kindle Edition)
Andrew smith is my new favourite author and, as a professional bookseller, I read a lot. This book is brilliant, and don't worry, you don't have to know anything about rugby to enjoy it. I've been pushing it on all of my colleagues since I finished it because I desperately need to talk to someone about it!! This is one of those books that stays with you for a long time after you've finished it. Pure brilliance, andrew smith, write lots more!

Ps. Buy grasshopper jungle too. I can't decide which if them I like best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read that's difficult to forget, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Winger (Paperback)
So many people on GoodReads have commented this is a difficult book to review, and I totally agree.
The majority of the book is an easy three star read; I chose it to get over a 'book hangover' and it did just that.
The ending makes it a 5* read.
Didn't see it coming, and made my heart lurch. Not a book I'll be forgetting any time soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Winger (Hardcover)
Easy book to read with tiny chpaters, so it's perfect to read when taking a break from work/spare 5mins.
As a girl I would say this is a rom com aimed at young teenage boys, but I found it enjoyable to read, and Im in my late teens.
The ending is amazing, and the story is humerous throughout.
I am very glad I brough this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winger the epic story, 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Winger (Kindle Edition)
This story is an epic interesting adventure of a smart boy who is having trouble with girls friends and anything that lives. This book is suitable for older readers as there strong language in some places . Read this book and you will know what growing up is like.
Five stars from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Winger, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Winger (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing. It kept me gripped to the last page. The story is so good, it makes you feel like you are really there experiencing the plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 8 Jan. 2015
S. Cowie (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winger (Paperback)
My daughter said this book is a great story and she fell in love with all the characters.

Winger
Winger by Andrew Smith (Hardcover - 14 May 2013)
Used & New from: £22.79