5.0 out of 5 stars Not for children..., 12 May 2013
L. G. GUDGEON (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
What a wonderful storybook - lovely pictures (pay attention!) and flowing script. Like a certain Sir TPratchett's 'Where's my Cow', this is a clever book masquerading as something for the children. Okay, it is for children, but not the very youngest. You don't read this one out loud; you read it and take note of the little details, especially if you're planning on reading the rest of the Guardians books.

I have the e-version, run on the iPad, but would love now to own a proper hardback copy to decorate the coffee table (and read, of course).

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood) (Hardcover)
Purchased the book for my girlfriend as she is a big fan of the movie "Rise of the Guardians" and the books "Guardians of children". The book is beutifully illustrated and explains where the man on the moon came from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood charm, rekindled..., 23 May 2013
When I first saw this book, I was somewhat skeptical about it as my knowledge of it came from Dreamworks "Rise of the Guardians" but my worries were abated the moment I read an excerpt, and since then I've fallen in love all over again with the enigmatic childhood figure, known simply as "The Man in the Moon".

The book does have its essence of tragedy that might worry some parents or carers, but I assure you that the overall tale fra outshine such worries. "The Man in the Moon" doesn't just overcome his sorrows, he uses them to empower him to keep trying, and striving to do more something many children could benefit from doing.

All in all, it was a charming and delightful read, a read I've enjoyed numerous times already as the tale was just too charming. I gave it a 5/5 stars but it has also captivated my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 22 May 2013
Bought this book as a gift, birthday present; parents of the child have informed that 'The Man in the Moon' has quickly become a firm favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanted my daughter - good background to the film, 7 April 2013
Sharesman (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
Good illustrated book with pictures that provoked observations and questions from my daughter. We had to go cover to cover but it is a fairly short book, some words a little stretching for an eight year old but she managed most very well.

If your children have seen the film it doesn't have Jack as this is the first book but is does set the scene and is a good read in its own right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beauty and wonder, 27 Feb 2013
Christopher Long "Phone Monkey" (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
Is it a geek faux pas to admit you only looked at this book because of the movie adaptation? It seems somehow wrong but I shall be honest. I knew nothing of these books until I stumbled across the movie last December. Since then I've been intrigued by the world William Joyce has created. It's a simple and brilliant idea. The stories aren't always strong and the characters can be a little thin but there is something wondrous here all the same, for kids and adults alike. If you liked the movie then I advise you to delve a little further and embrace it with an open heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all children, 9 Sep 2014
elisabeth bate (Paderbron, Germany) - See all my reviews
Beautiful book, we love this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children love it, 14 Feb 2014
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
First I must state that my children and I love the movie Rise of the Guardians, so when we started reading books about some of the characters there was a little trepidation, at least on my part. But those worries were unfounded, this and other picture books we have read by William Joyce have all been amazing! This story tells the tale of the Man in the Moon or MiM for short. He was the first guardian, and his story begins before the dark times, for he was born during the golden age, a time of hope, happiness and a time when dreams could come true. The moonboot crew whistled jolly "toot toot's" and the giant glowworms provided light for him to read. And he had a guardian named Nightlight a devoted friend who watched over him. Their ship their home the moon clipper sailed from one peaceful planet to another. Ever night Nightlight sprinkled dreamsand over the MiM and sang him this lullaby:

"Nightlight, bright light
Sweet dreams I bestow.
Sleep tight, all night.
Forever I will glow."

And as long as Nightlight watched over him he was safe from nightmares. But darkness came to the golden age it came in the shifting shape of Pitch, the king of nightmares. He sought out this boy who had never had a nightmare and vowed to make him a price of nightmares. The MiM's parents were taking him to earth to him him when out of the night came Pitch, on his Nightmare Galleon.

The MiM's parents made Nightlight take an oath:
"We will watch over the children of the Earth,
Guide them safely from ways of harm,
Keep happy their hearts, brave their soul, and rosy their cheeks.
We will guard with our lives their hopes and dreams,
For they are all that we have, all that we are,
And all that we will ever be."
A great battle was waged. But that is just the beginning of the story. To find out the rest of the tale you will need to read this wonderful book.

The story is wonderful and the illustrations are fantastic. My children will pick up this book and go through the pictures again and again. Overall a wonderful book for the whole family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book shipped to Norway, 17 Dec 2011
Thanks for shipping the book "The Man in the Moon (Guardians of Childhood) to my niece in Stavanger Norway. It arrived as scheduled and her father (my brother) said he will also enjoy this creative story. I ordered the same book a month or so earlier in the USA for a granddaughter, and it came to me to wrap for her for Christmas...also as scheduled. There are more of these well-written, beautifully illustrated books in the series, so I'm glad to know I can depend on Amazon to deliver in the USA and to my family in Norway from the UK site.

The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood)
The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood) by William Joyce (Hardcover - 13 Sep 2012)