4.0 out of 5 stars excellent childrens book, 14 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
The book is ideal reading for a child 8-12.
Kids : The book is obviously about a girl with silver eyes:-) She is not liked by her classmates, they know she is different but they are not sure why. If they paid attention they might notice her readjusting her glasses without touching them, or how there are mysterious gusts of wind when she is about, and what about those silver eyes? Why are her eyes silver, why does she have special powers?
Parents: This book is essential about a girl who doesn't fit in because she's different. At first she despises these differences, but in the end feels proud of them and discovers she is not unique and that there are other people like her. A good book around which discussions of these subjects can be based

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable children's book, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Girl with the Silver Eyes (Paperback)
When people see 9 year old Katie Welker for the first time, they immediately notice her unususal silver eyes. And more often than not they keep their distance to her because of her strange eyes. So Katie spends a lot of time alone and with reading. What most people don't know is that Katie's eye colour is not the most exceptional thing about her. She has the abilty to do telekinesis, but would never use her ability to really harm other people.
When Katie is forced to move and start anew in a foreign neighbourhood, things begin to change. For the first time Katie realizes that maybe she is not the only one with special talents.
Will Katie find more children with silver eyes?

I first read about this book a few months ago and thought that it would be a cute and extraordinary story to read, so I added it to my wishlist. When I then saw the new, fantastic cover for "The girl with the silver eyes", I had to have a copy of this book immediately.

It's a short story, 181 pages, and if I had to choose one word to describe it, I would use adorable. Katie is such a cute and adorable little heroine. How she sees the world and how she manages her days was both amazing and at times a bit sad. I loved that the author made Katie a bit impish, it made reading so story very entertaining and I had to laugh a lot. The way she used her telekinesis to annoy her babysitters and people who were aggressive towards her, was IMO great and made Katie very lovable. I love people who are a bit impish and don't let others get away with rude behaviour.

Most people, myself included, tend to concentrate too much on how people look instead of on how people act and what they do. Katie learned the hard way that just because you look a bit weird people tend to treat you differently (and not in a positive way). After reading this book I feel that I should try harder to just accept how people look without judging them, what people do is way more important than how they look.

I would have loved to read this book as a child and even though I'm no longer one, I still enjoyed every page of this little book a lot. Katie's intelligence and wit, the new friendships she forms and the search for other children with silver eyes were all fantastic parts of this cute book.

cover
Love it, the cover fits perfectly to the story and is gorgeous.

final appraisal
"The girl with the silver eyes" is an adorable, short book that made me laugh a lot and think about judging others just because they look differently. Katie is an amazing little heroine and made this book fantastic.
I think this book should work for adults, young adults and children. So if you are in the mood for an extraordinary story with an adorable heroine go and get a copy of "The girl with the silver eyes".

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story about how it's OK to be or feel ..., 9 Oct. 2014
J. Gascoyne (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl with the Silver Eyes (Paperback)
One of my childhood favourites, I still have my old battered copy, but will be buying a reprint for my girls when they're older. A wonderful story about how it's OK to be or feel different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Girl with the Silver Eyes (Paperback)
Christmas present for my grandaughter

The Girl with the Silver Eyes
The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (Paperback - 22 Mar. 2011)