5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and romantic
Published on 23 Sep 2010 by Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf

3.0 out of 5 stars May not be everybody's opinion!
Hmm i'm a bit conflicted with this one. I loved it and couldnt put it down as i read it, but then the direction of the whole second half was a bit like, really? this is where you're going?

Published on 8 May 2012 by Kathryn Hargrave

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and romantic, 23 Sep 2010
Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nevermore (Hardcover)
If I were to use one word to describe Nevermore, I'd go for haunting. Although part romance, this book leans more towards horror and mystery. Ingrained within the plot is the prominent figure of Edgar Allan Poe - and reflective of his works, Nevermore is just as dark and as fascinating. Knowing more about the poet would better your reading experience, but regardless, it is hard to resist this compelling book. It is superbly written, descriptive and genuine to its characters. The feel of the narrative is dark but smooth, fluid and completely captivating. Nevermore will drag you into its depths as easy as Poe's works - it's complex, it's twisted, but worth every word. It will have you turning pages well into the night, and leave your imagination running!

Everything begins when Isobel finds herself paired with Varen for an English project. Goth and poetic, and definitely outside of Isobel's crew, Varen finds himself threatened and bullied by Isobel's boyfriend, Brad. Isobel's defence of Varen and her subsequent distance from her crew endeared me to her. Her choice is not to stand by Varen because she is attracted to him, but because she knows her friends are acting wrongly - I liked that best about her. Her actions carry an air of realism and I never had a moment of doubt and dislike for Isobel. Varen is unlike many guys - he wears eyeliners, has lip piercing, he loses himself in the darkness of words, and is distant. He is complex, broken and... hot. It's a classic mismatch, but cheerleader Isobel is undeniably perfect for the Goth Varen. Their chemistry is one of the best I've read in YA romance.

Unlike what you might expect, Varen's and Isobel's relationship is chaste, appropriate, and is strictly within the safety of friendship - but, and it's a humongous, colossal, gargantuan BUT, the air whenever these two are together sizzles. The romantic tension between them is evident in every word, in every touch, in every searing gaze. The lack of physical interaction only intensifies the need for one, and shoot me if I was not scrambling for more Var-obel moments! Only the necessity to understand Varen more prevented me from swooning!

Isobel's difficulty at figuring out Varen's emotions is one of the most compelling parts of the plot. Although written in the third person, the readers are taken into Varen's world through the eyes of Isabel, and only through that. As a result, you only get to know what Isabel knows - a lot of suspicion arises from it and the continuous mysteries and revelations as more about Varen is uncovered is a brilliant rush. With secondary characters that will have you grinning and laughing to frowning and yelling, rest assured you'll enjoy every bit of Nevermore!

I was in tatters by the ending, and it will be a slow, painful torture to wait for the next book. Fantastic first book in a trilogy (thank God!) - and horror fanatic or not, Edgar Allan Poe lover or otherwise, read.this.book.!

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly researched and enjoyable, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nevermore (Paperback)
Despite the thickness of the book, if didn't take me long at all to read this book because I loved everything about it.

It doesn't take long for the story to kick off and the secrets and mystery are beautifully panned out through the story.

Although it comes across as a normal average love story with vampires and warewolves, Creigh manages to create a brand new fantasey world mixing with a real poet called Edgar Allan Poe, she gives us background of his mysterious death and ties it in with the story really well giving her interpretation of why he went crazy and including him as a character in the prologue.

The characters were believable and lovable and very fun to read(especially Varen) and I read it for hours at a time in a space of four days- making the mistake of not realizing the sequel wouldn't be out until the summer of the next year.

Well done Kelly, Nevermore was the best book of the year for me :D

3.0 out of 5 stars May not be everybody's opinion!, 8 May 2012
Kathryn Hargrave (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nevermore (Hardcover)

The book starts out with a stereotypical popular materalistic cheerleader with an inconsiderate jock boyfriend who she's only dating because that's what head cheerleader does. Then she starts sticking up and falling for the wierd kid.
Then the book goes in a very wierd direction where you're trapped in a whole other dark world.

People may love this book because that other world was amazing, well written, and Edgar Allan Poe. But i couldnt give a toss about Edgar Allan Poe, the story would have been fine without him. And the other world was wierd. I don't know whether i just couldnt keep up with all the descriptions, but i got a bit confused and couldnt picture or keep up with what (or why?!) stuff was happenning in the other world.

Essentially, the other-world part of the book makes it really original, but i was hooked by the everyday romance that i was rooting for. I finished the book down and yearned for #2, but that was despite of the Edgar Allan Poe stuff, not because of it. If this book had just been about a cheerleader falling for a goth, it would still have been original and a page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Jun 2011
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nevermore (Hardcover)
Isobel has a great life: she is a cheerleader, her boyfriend is a star on the football team, her friends are great. That changes once she is partnered with the weird Goth guy, Varen, in English class to do a project on Edgar Allen Poe.

Varen is mysterious, and he doesn't seem too interested in Isobel. However, Isobel finds herself drawn to him, especially after she takes a peek at his notebook, only to find it filled with strange stories and drawings. Strange things start to happen both when she is alone and when she's with Varen. She can't tell whether it is a dream, or reality.

NEVERMORE was so captivating. I have never read anything like it before. It was really fast-paced and intriguing; however, the ending was slower than the rest of the novel. I loved how there was some history involved, too, because I don't know much about Edgar Allen Poe.

Varen seemed so weird at first, but right off the bat, I could tell that there was going to be something between the two main characters. Once I came to the end, I was mad because of the intense cliffhanger - but I was happy to find out that there will be a sequel!

Reviewed by: Ashley B

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular start of the Nevermore trilogy, 19 Sep 2010
This review is from: Nevermore (Hardcover)
Okay, so to start a good review first I must speak my fangirl out loud: NEVEMORE IS AWESOME! FANTASTIC! EXCITING! NEVERMORE IS PURPLE! (This last sentence makes sense to the people who have read the book).

Nevemore is the first book of a planned trilogy by author Kelly Creagh. It also happens to be her debut novel. Yes. But you'll have never guessed it was her first book published since Ms. Creagh gets you into a world of scary dreams that at first you'll want to stay but then run away as fast as you can and at the end you'll still love this book.

This is the story of Isobel, blond cheerlader who lives in the sunlight and enjoys being blond, and Varen, the goth boy who wears black, has a piercing on the lips and keeps a private journal. They are both paired into an English project. At first they both hate what they have to go through since they belong to "different" worlds in terms of the school social groups. Varen comes up with the idea of doing their proyect on Allan Edgar Poe. Isobel agrees. That's it, you ask? No. If you think doing a proyect was difficult because of how hard and tough was to do some research you are so wrong. The difficulties in Isobel and Varen's proyect come when Brad, the football player boyfriend of Isobel, and her friends want to make Varen's life hell for writing his phone number on Isobel's hand. Isobel stands up for Varen, who has done nothing but wanting to do the project with his classmate. So Isobel dumps Brad. Realizing her friends are not anymore her friends she starts hanging out with Varen, and the more she does it the more her feelings for the goth boy increase. Her parents and Varen's dad also make it tought to start the project. Along the way she starts having these dreams that scare her, and a man warning her appears from time to time, telling her that her friend is in danger. She discovers Varen might be this friend. But will it be too late for her to rescue Varen from the dream world he lives in? Or will this world drawn her too?

This is a book for everyone who loves scary, romantic, and thrilling moments. And if you're a fan of Edgar Allan Poe, trust me, you'll want to read Nevemore since he is too part of this story.

This is one of my favorite books. Really. Nevermore has it all. It can get scary for some people, but this is also a book where you'll find romance, sizzling romance that just by reading what Isobel feels for Varen you'll wish you were Isobel. And Varen. Oh sweet, smart and mysterious Varen. *sighs* You'll want to know EVERYTHING about him, and you're heart will long for him just as much as Isobel's heart does. But wait, this isn't your typical romance, nope. You get to know the characters very well. And Isobel and Varen won't just look at each other and fall in love right then and there. They'll have to go through some tough moments and spend some time together to start falling hard for each other. And there will be moments where you'll scream: MAKE OUT NOW!!

Nevemore is a MUST read book. Kelly Creagh has created a world that gives you goose bumps and makes your heart ache for the romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nevermore, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nevermore (Paperback)
"You're a dream. Like everything else."

It's been ages since I've finished this book and I still don't know what to say. I don't think anything I can say for this book will be enough.

This is one of the most unique paranormals I've read. You've got all sorts of Pnr out there but what about books where people create creepy worlds with their creativity. This is one creepy book but I love it. The world building is amazing. It's so ORIGINAL!. Why don't we have more stuff like this out there? Our minds our powerful things and sometimes the creepiest things live there. The author has a great concept (I've said that already I know).

I remember when I first saw the summary I rolled my eyes. A cheerleader and a emo guy. How perfect? *sarcasm* But I added it anyway because I had yet to read one where that happened. I unlike a lot of people didn't run into a lot of books that went along those lines so the idea wasn't cliche to me yet. It took me a few months to finally read it. THERE IS NOTHING cliche about their relationship. Or for that fact any of the ones in the book. It has always annoyed me how in YA parents are either absent or they suck and well friends suck as well. Why cannot there be good relationships in YA. Why must the guy be the girl's savior? WHY?

I love how the author takes it slow with the relationship. The girl doesn't wake up one day and decide that she loves the guy thank god for that.

It develops slowly, from hate to being okay with them to like to love. This kind of development doesn't only happen on the girl's side, it also happens with Varen. No Varen hasn't secretly loved her for a long time or any other things that happen these days in YA. He dislikes her because she is popular.

And no he isn't a bad guy. He is never outright rude to her. It's more like Isobel thinking he is and you can see it. He isn't a broken bad boy who is an ass. He may be broken but he doesn't take it out on other people which I admire.
Yeah I think Varen's awesomeness is one of the main reasons I love the book. How can someone read this book and NOT love Varen? He is one of the most original male characters in YA.

I think the character development is also amazing. The girl finally decides that her popular friends suck. Her boyfriend is too overprotective so even though it hurts her she turns against them and starts hanging out with Gwen. (Gwen's awesomeness must also be mentioned but we don't see as much of it in this book as we do in the next book so I won't talk about it because I'll probably end up spoiling the next book).

I cannot think normally for too long when I think about this book because thinking about it always brings a rush of emotions. I really do love this one and at the same time I wish it were nicer to me, loved me more and wouldn't be so mean.

*sighs*
Now I am just rambling. I should shut up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 20 Feb 2012
O. Lisa "NightReader" (italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nevermore (Paperback)
They say not to judge a book by its cover. That appearances are deceitful.

I say this time you should not judge the book by how it starts off. At first it very much looks like your garden-variety paranormal YA: jocks, cheerleaders, cliques, mean girls, emo-goths, star crossed lovers, you get the gist. There were a couple of scenes at the beginning where I thought I was probably going to ditch it if it went on like it was.
But it didn't.
First of all, you should be aware that underneath the shallow, clichéd appearance, this book is very dark and oneiric. I don't know if you're familiar with the work of Edgar Allan Poe, but the story is based and heavily influenced by several of his writings, such as The Raven, The Masque of Red Death and Ligeia, among others. Parts of his biography, especially concerning the mysterious circumstances of his death, are also a fundamental part of the plot.

The story starts, quite predictably, with Isobel - blonde, cheerleader, girlfriend of THE football player of the school - getting paired up for an English project with Varen - goth guy, aloof, antisocial, with a mean girlfriend but magnetically irresistible. Despite a rocky start, as Isobel's feelings for Varen change and grow into something even she is reluctant to accept, strange things start to happen. Isobel gets chased by voices, she starts hallucinating, supposedly.
Who is causing all this? The key seems to be a book of the works of Edgar Allan Poe that Varen has given to her her for the project and that appears to have a life of its own.

Nevermore came as a surprise to me, really.
Despite glowing reviews (and some non-glowing), I wasn't expecting much from it. This seemed to be confirmed in the first few chapters, when all the clichés made their entrance, and the mean girls theme put me in eye-rolling mode.
BUT. As the Raven theme crept more and more into the story and the clichés were left behind, the plot turned into something truly and incredibly original. I am sorry for those readers who dropped the book before getting to that part because, really, they missed out on something good.
The second part, which takes place in a sort of dreamland, a story inside the stories, was truly engaging and fascinating for me. The star-crossed lovers got separated, grotesque figures started appearing, Isobel became a dark Alice in Wonderland, right after she fell into the hole.
I'll admit: not everybody will like it. It can be confusing at times and many people won't like the romance being set aside to see other characters steal the scene with their bloody razor teeth. Me, I loved it. I love when a book manages to surprise and frankly, this did it successfully.

As far as I am concerned, a success. I can't wait to read Enshadowed when it comes out in August, 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world! Reviewed by Ali @ wingedreviews.com, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Nevermore (Paperback)
This is one of those books where after only a couple of lines, I'm immediately hooked. I fell in love straight away with the story line, the characters, the setting, the mystery - everything. Why? Why did I wait this long to read Nevermore!

This is certainly one of the best YA books I've read in a long time. I simply loved every minute of it, every detail and everything about it. I've never felt such a compelling need to keep reading.

Everything about it was a breath of fresh air. From the original story line, to the Edgar Allen Poe references, to the gothic dreamworld that the characters are thrown into. I'm just completely speechless as to how this book escaped my notice for so long!

Our protagonist, Isobel, is in her senior year in high school. She's head cheerleader, and her boyfriend is captain of the football team. However, when she gets paired up with Varen, morbid quiet goth boy, to do a project on Edgar Allen Poe, everything changes. I loved that Isobel already had a boyfriend to begin with. That doesn't happen often with YA books and I'm glad the author decided to take a different approach to this. I also like that it took so long for Isobel to decide she likes Varen. No insta-love here. It was built up and built up bit by bit and felt very believable.

As you can imagine, as this is set in high school, there are lots of troubles and incidents along the way for Isobel and Varen as neither his goth friends nor her football/cheerleader friends are too happy about their sudden interest in each other. This made for some interesting chapters of high school politics, which is something I love to read about. Any book with an American high school interests me and this one is probably the best I've ever read.

The paranormal aspect was woven in nicely with the Poe stories. Upon reading more Poe writings for the project Isobel starts to have strange dreams and becomes able to see and interact with beings that no one else can. These dreams and beings bring her closer to Varen, who she soon comes to realise has a lot more to do with it than he is letting on. I've never read any Edgar Allen Poe works so I wasn't sure what sort of bearing it was going to have on the story. Turns out, a very gothic, eerie one! I adored it.

The last few chapters were very dark, dramatic and extremely creepy (and in the best way possible!) I found myself holding my breath and getting a knotted up feeling inside over what was happening and whether it was all going to be alright in the end! A lot of questions are answered that I had been wondering about and so this was good. But we are also left with just the right amount of unanswered questions to carry us through to the sequel, which I am now impatiently waiting for!

If you've been putting this one off for a while like me, then I urge you to please, please, give it a shot. It really is well worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Many attempts I could not get into this, 21 Dec 2011
This review is from: Nevermore (Hardcover)
I did like this book but it never draw me into other books which I have read in the past! I have made many attempts with this book and around halfway point I start to get confused... overall I think there are too many chapters which make me think that the novel can REALLY drag out in some parts but in the end I gave up!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, 27 Oct 2011
Sevilay Aydogan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nevermore (Paperback)
I read this book last year and it only just occurred to me to leave a review. If i could i would write about every page but that would take forever so i'll sum it up in one word.
Fan-bloody-tastic
I've read a lot of books in my 19/20 years of life and this is the only one that made me cry (it was only a single tear but the point is it happened) The final moments are tragic and heartbreaking and at the same time amazing.
I can not wait to read the next book (its feels like i've been waiting forever) i have high hopes for the rest of the trilogy and i pray Kelly Creagh doesn't let me down.

Nevermore
Nevermore by Kelly Creagh (Paperback - 30 Aug 2011)