3,555 Reviews
 (2,387)

1,494 of 1,529 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to start with - but incredible results!
I just wanted to share my experience with anyone thinking about starting on this diet.

Published on 28 Jan. 2013 by ScotsLad

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't need the book
Saw the documentary but didn't think I'd be able to do it, but met a friend who was following the diet and found it doable. So bought it on my Kindle (not a good idea, much better to buy the book as it has illustrations of the menus which are just, well, grey on a Kindle). Have completed 2 fast days and found it easy and empowering however, as much as I appreciate that Dr...
Published 24 months ago by Kaz

1,494 of 1,529 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to start with - but incredible results!, 28 Jan. 2013

I consider myself a yo-yo dieter. Once committed to a diet I do stick to it. The trouble for me arises at Christmas, birthdays and other special occasions. I think to myself, for the next week I will treat myself, it's only Christmas or my birthday once a year right? Wrong.

This is a trigger for me. Once I have fallen off the wagon I am in big trouble and usually put the majority of the weight back on. Kidding myself that I will start again on Monday, but never following through. Only being jolted back into action when I approach my heaviest weight. The trouble is I have been "dieting", trying to control my daily calorie intake, essentially denying myself food. What I really needed was to establish a new relationship with my food. A relationship where there is no proverbial wagon to fall off... This is exactly what the Fast Diet is.

The principle is simple: two days a week you fast, sticking to 500 calories for women or 600 calories for men, and for the other five days you eat what you like. I eat breakfast (toast and two poached eggs) and dinner (fish/chicken with plenty vegetables) on my fast days, and pretty much what I like on feed days. Initially I thought I would be tempted to over eat on feed days - but I found the opposite is true. Once you have had the determination to fast for a day, the next day you feel satisfied with smaller portions. You also don't want to undo all the effort from your fast days and that adds another motivating factor to the mix. I found myself averaging around 1,900 calories on feed days and feeling perfectly well fed.

The first few days of fasting were really tough, but I stuck with it. For me it took about six fasting days before I began to consider it easy to do. I found sipping water throughout the day, around 4-5 litres, really helped keep the hunger at bay during this settling in phase. I cannot drink black coffee or tea, so I added a little milk and tracked that in my daily calorie intake (around 15 cals per cup). I didn't experience any headaches or tiredness and I am able to walk for 1 hour on fast days no problem at all. I don't feel like I am living on the bare minimum amount of energy to stay alive.

I don't consider this method a diet. You can look at your working week and choose what days you are going to fast. I personally always fast on Mondays, and I am flexible with my second fast day depending on what is happening during that particular week. While on the diet I have woken up on what was supposed to be a fast day only to decide that I need to eat something more that 600 calories. On previous diets I would feel terrible about it, triggering a spiral of eating that gets out of control. On this diet all I do is start the fast again the next day. There is no reason to beat yourself up if you slip up on this diet.

So now - the important part, how much have I lost? Well following this diet since the Horizon programme in September I have lost well over two stone, and feel a hell of a lot better inside as well as outside.

Best £3 you will spend this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The proof of the pudding is in the eating, or not as the case may be., 20 Mar. 2013
I watched the Horizon program some time after it was broadcast as I had recorded it. I bought the book on Amazon and had started reading it. It also gave me a nudge to have my blood pressure and cholesterol checked and I found out to my astonishment and horror that my cholesterol (bad) was higher than it had ever been despite eating healthily, everything low fat, loads of veg. and fruit, seeds and some nuts. I just couldn't understand it and I can't even now. I am 5'9" tall and although I did put some weight on in my later years(I am 66), I never thought myself as overweight to start going on a diet. The results of my tests gave me the impetus to start on the 2/5 regime and if loss of weight is part of the positive result, then all the better. I tend to stick to nearly the same menus each time and thoroughly enjoy it. I love my porridge and the blueberries or other fruit gives it some freshness. (I have noticed though that the calories given for blueberries don't add up. In the recipe it says: 145g = 37kcal but in the table it says 100g= 60kcal. In the scheme of things I don't think it matters too much but if you are really calorie counting it does.)I also love the variety of vegetables I am using, cooked to a soft crunch. Sometimes I can't finish what's on the plate despite sticking near enough to 500kcal a day. I need to go back for tests in early may and I hope the results will be positive. My clothes are certainly telling me that it is working on the weight score ( had to haul up my jeans in the supermarket despite wearing a belt). Looking forward to carrying on, had my porridge this morning and will have a delicious vegetable stir fry tonight with perhaps some fish. Will be back in May. Regards to all

1,652 of 1,735 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The best diet since sliced bread!, 21 Jan. 2013
Mr M.R.Watkinson (Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The best review on here is that of Mike C from 31/12/12. So good, in fact, that I haven't bothered to buy the book! Why? Well, I saw the original Horizon, back in August, so I know the how & why of the diet; I'm a perfectly competent cook, so I don't need the recipes; the rest of it is padding to me as much as it is to Mike. Why am I here, then? Well, just in case you need any further persuasion to invest in this, I thought I'd add my two penn'orth, plus I'd like to mention a a few points that I think are particularly worth considering.

I experimented with the diet after the programme was shown, then had a very dissolute December, knowing full well that I was going to go at it full tilt in the New Year. I started on the 2nd, 19 days later, I've dropped 10 lbs with no problems, no loss of energy (I play squash vigorously, and 5-a-side when I can get a game), and no trouble sticking with the plan. So, yes it works. Absolutely.

However, the most important point to emphasise is that this not a weight loss diet. Weight loss is entirely a side effect of the real purpose of the diet, which is to prolong life. It's a milder version of Alternate Day Fasting. This is scientifically unproven as yet, but is said to reduce the chance of developing various cancers, and to help manage a variety of conditions / illnesses wide enough to include diabetes & arthritis. What tends to get the headlines is the fact that on your Fast days, you cut your calories to a quarter of the recommended. What is more significant is reducing your protein intake. This is said to force your body from "growth mode" into "repair mode" where, instead of creating new cells, the body attempts to repair damaged ones. Since cancers are essentially uncontrolled cell growth, it's obvious how this diet could help; equally, repairing damaged cells will presumably help with any number of ailments, aches & pains.

Personally, I'm no fan of calorie counting. The vast majority of people have no idea what a calorie really is or how it's measured. Therefore, my advice is don't fuss too much about the limits. For a man, you're supposed to keep the protein under 35g & the calories to no more than 600. If you stick to the protein limit & bust the calorie limit by a couple of hundred, it's not going to hurt you. It's the protein limit, I think, that is more significant in switching to repair mode. I've been varying between a 4:3 & 5:2 version of the diet, and I've probably hit 8-900 calories on half the Fast days & still shed pounds plenty quick.

Key psychological point: you don't actually feel like you're on a diet. There is no constant struggle to discipline yourself day after day after day. Five days a week, you eat normally; two days you fast. You can do two days consecutively (I was doing Sun & Mon last year), you can split them, it really doesn't matter. But it isn't difficult, on a single day, to adjust your diet, knowing full well you can eat what the heck you like the next!

As far as food goes, it's quite simple. On Fast days, cut your protein down, cut out the standard starchy staples (spuds, pasta, rice, bread). Eat plenty of non-root vegetables, along with some chicken or fish & you're pretty much there. Even if you're not much of a cook, or short on time, it doesn't take much to grab some mixed frozen veg from the freezer (beans, sprouts, casserole veg, broccoli, cauliflower, that sort of thing) & flash it in the microwave. Fresh or frozen, you can always pep things up with herbs, a sprinkling of seeds (fennel, caraway, etc), or a few splashes of soy / oyster / Worcester / Tabasco sauce. Plenty of variety there, so it doesn't get boring either.

Final trick: drink plenty; sip, sip, sip throughout the day. Now, you are allowed black coffee / tea on the diet, but I don't drink either, so I just drink water. The important thing is sip, sip, sip, though. On a fast day, I'm typically drinking 3-4 litres, which gives the system a good flush, as well! But it's not a huge glug followed by nothing for hours. Sipping throught the day keeps the hunger pangs at bay and makes it easy to stick to. And it's only for one day, remember!

For me, the diet isn't much of an adjustment. I don't east fast food or much by way of sweets / dessert, most supermarket ready meals tend to be fairly healthy anyway, and I cook a lot, freezing & re-heating a good deal of it, so there's always plenty of quick food for office days, when I'm out very early & back late. For you, it might be more of a change. If it is, though, you're likely to see even more of a benefit. Being down so many pounds already, I'm dropping the 4:3 version of the diet this week. Once I'm in the shape I want to be in, 5:2 will probably become 6:1, as Michael Mosley has done. But it's an effective diet, an easy one to follow, and one that I will probably follow for the rest of my life. Try it & see for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent - really works, 10 Oct. 2013
Excellent way to lose weight. Been doing this for 6 weeks and regularly lose 2lb a week. find it easy to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 16 April 2013
S. Shakeshaft (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been doing this diet since before I read the book at the recommendation of a friend. I cannot recommend this book and this diet more. In a little over 6 weeks I've managed to lose 5kg and a total of probably about 7-8cms from various parts of my body.
Give it a go for a few weeks and see how you get on, you'll truly be surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diet that works., 27 Mar. 2013
JJ "Jackie J" (Colchester England.) - See all my reviews
This is shorter than it looks, easy to read and understand, and packed with reminders of why you should not let middle age spread creep up on you. The diet works, but it is HARD! I manage to keep to it by re-reading important bits from the book, by the wonderful reduction in weight my scales keep telling me about and because my husband has joined in the flab fight so I don't have to prepare scrummy food for him while going without myself. I did find that the 2 days out of 7 approach doesn't work for me. It is more like 4 out of 7 or the weight just goes straight back on and it,s so demoralising. Also, don't be fooled into thinking you can eat what you like on your days off. You can't have pizza and doughnuts and drink bottles of wine or you will still fail. I know this. I,ve tried. Also, be very careful to eat the sorts of food suggested for your fast days or you will feel really ill by midday if you swap porrage oats for cornflakes for example, as the sugar levels in your bloodstream drop very much more quickly and you will faint.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 months in...life changing, but in a good way :), 6 April 2013
I am (or was) a typical 43 year old bloke, I like a pint or 6 on a Friday night and the odd bottle of wine in the evening. I love food, travel and socialising. Inevitably this lead to middle age spread, as it has with all my friends of a similar age. 5"11 and 13.5 stone.

So of course I've tried diets, and stick to them quite well in the typical yo-yo fashion, only to end up even bigger 6 months later.

So 7 months ago a friend mentioned he had seen the Horizon TV program and was going on the 5:2 Fasting Diet. He said it was for the health benefits and not to lose weight (think he felt it wasn't a blokey thing to do, to go on a diet). So I watched the program and decided to join him on it.

I changed nothing else in my life, still binge drinking more than I mean to and eating out etc (some things are much harder to change in life, but I'm only human:)

To my surprise I found it very easy to stick to. I had a headache a couple of times on the first few weeks so had my doubts, but after a few months, because you feel so much better, it becomes a joy to be on. Of course there are "fast" days when your tummy rumbles in the evening after you have used your 500/600 calories, but it's not going to kill you and it's only until breakfast next day, which tastes so much better.

7 months in and I've lost just short of 2 stone. The weight loss has slowed to a almost a stop which is a relief as I was going to have to alter the diet some how as I had reached my target weight and didn't want to get too skinny (a nice problem to have). My resting heart rate has dropped considerably which is probably why the weight loss has almost stopped (my metabolism seems to have slowed). I don't get out of breath and I'm much fitter.

I can't see myself ever coming off this diet as my relationship with food is at an all time high. No guilty feeling when you have enjoyed a nice meal. Everything just tastes so much better. You know how towards the end of Christmas or Easter you just stop enjoying food because your so fed up of binging, well reverse that feeling and times it by 10. Even Bran Flakes after a fasting day tastes good. Even beer tastes better :)

There have been some poor reviews of this diet, but I think they just miss the point. The government and doctors are very good at telling us what we should be doing, but we already know what we should be doing, we just can't stick to it. We are genetically programmed to eat food when it's available. Years of natural selection have meant "survival of the fattest" during times of famine. It's not our fault, but to me this way of eating is how our bodies are designed to live. We were never designed to graze continuously very palatable and calorie dense food that is available 24/7, 365 days a year.

Well that's my rant over, to the book. It's £4 and I enjoyed reading it, it filled in some gaps. It's written by the guy who started it all for me and not one of the copy cat books. Good science in it. Buy it.

Just one more thing. Thank you Dr. Mosley. You have improved my life, and probably my life expectancy. I've two teenage daughters and I'm sure they will appreciate having me around in good health for longer. I've started walking now as I can now get up the hills, so if I see you on one of your walks, and it's not a fast day, I'll buy you a pint :)

Sean (Marske-by-the-Sea)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Diet, 22 Jan. 2015
Mark (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
So much has been written about this already, both in the press and indeed by Amazon reviewers that I thought it was time I had a look myself.

As an over 50 of generous proportions I'm looking for a way to stay fit and healthy, and keep my weight in check. I'm already quite active: walking every day, using the gym at least a couple of times a week, dancing and playing tennis and with a pretty healthy diet (mostly home cooked, very little fast food or TV dinners) so I wasn't looking for a 'diet', more of a lifestyle approach. In any case I know that most (all?) 'fast fix' diets or 'get fit' quick' schemes don't work.

So the Fast Diet fits in well with me, and so far (its early days) I'm not struggling at all on the two days on 600kcal. I just keep busy and take plenty of liquid. I know its sounds clichéd but it really is easy - more so than I thought it'd be and this seems to eb an experience that's widely shared by others.

It naturally follows that by fasting on two days a week you'll reduce the calorie intake so the mantra of 'eat less - move more' is already at least partially fulfilled. I've also upped the exercise quotient from 2-3 visits to the gym to 3-4, not much, but enough to make a difference. I've also tried the HIT exercise, by maxing out but for a short burst, but I'm mixing this with my usual exercise regime.

What I find really attractive about this, and the main reason I'm doing it are the associated health benefits. The assertions made in the book are well evidenced make for convincing reading. The Fast Diet has the strapline 'Lose weight, Stay healthy, Live Longer' - I'll take items 2 and 3 please, and if I get 1 as well, then that's a real bonus! Time will tell, and I'll add to this in time, but I'm off to a flying start and feeling good.....

5.0 out of 5 stars I waited two months to write this review - can now fully recommend, 20 Mar. 2013
I watched the Horizon programme with interest last summer and was really happy to hear this book was coming out, so I bought it and kicked off my Fast at the beginning of the year. Now nearly 3 months into it I can heartily recommend it. I have lost 4 pounds and 3 inches overall off my body - which doesn't sound a lot from reading others posts! - but I don't have a lot to lose weight wise, I was looking to reduce the fat percentage of my body, which is also coming down slowly. The great thing about this is not only am I finding it very easy to do and fit into my life (as opposed to low cal, low carb, low everything diets in the past) but it's literally changing what I feel like eating. For the first few weeks I admit on non-fast days I overcompensated and just ate everything cos I felt it was 'free' - this is a hang up from past diets and shows how much of dieting is changing your mental mindset. These days I genuinely want to eat Porridge for breakfast (and I was never, ever a fan before this) and Salad. I still eat the occasional cake and biscuit and crisps but I don't crave them like I used to. And like others have said, I now can differentiate what is real hunger (how I feel on a Fast Day) and 'peckishness' which goes away.
It's been so great my partner has started too so we both do the same days in the week. We save our calories until the evening and have a really decent dinner and even dessert. I did a health check before I started so I'm going to be really interested to see what the results are in 6 months time. I'm excited that this is something I could see myself sustaining - unlike all other diets I've tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and weight loss plan., 3 Mar. 2013
I bought this book because I had heard about intermittent fasting and was interested in the concept. This book explains all you need to know about intermittent fasting and how to go about it. Please note that this is not true fasting as women are allowed 500 calories per 'fast' day and men 600 calories. On this plan you only 'fast' 2 days a week and get to eat what you like the rest of the time although you can eat healthily between 'fast' days should you wish. The book explains the health benefits of fasting. The book is clear and easy to understand even though it contains quite a bit of scientific information it is put across in an easy to understand way. I actually found the book an enjoyable read and it will be useful for me to have as a reference and encouragement while I attempt to lose weight this way. I have only been following the plan for three weeks now but have already lost a few pounds and all while eating whatever I like inbetween my 'fast' days :) If I start to eat very healthily on non fast days I imagine the weight will come off in greater amounts but I'm in no great hurry and am happy to approach this in a relaxed way. I thoroughly recommend this book and the plan and can see myself successfully losing weight this way and very importantly being able to keep the weight off.