5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King turns back the clock
Published on 11 Dec 2011 by Bantam Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars The King still has it.......kind of
Started out strong, but kind of huffed and puffed it's way over the finish line.
Enjoyable story with some good characters and King's usual dark humor.
Problem for me, as with a lot of his books, is it's overcooked. A good editor would have cut at least 100 pages off.
Btw Love the little 'tip your hat' to IT
Out of all the King books I have read, and...
Published 14 months ago by M. L. Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King turns back the clock, 11 Dec 2011
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
Where does the time go? After finishing this book I checked the internet to find out when I first discovered, and fell in love with, the books of Stephen King. The first one I read was Salems Lot, a paperback I bought using a gift voucher I had been given for a present. I was shocked when I realised that this would have happened over thirty five years ago. I loved Salems Lot and I loved the books that followed it - The Shining, The Stand, The Dead Zone and a stunning short story collection called Night Shift. The publication of a new Stephen King book became a red letter day and I would always ensure that I would purchase my copy the same day that it hit the shelves. Over the years though, the standard of Stephen King's books dipped a little. Whilst they were nearly always good, and some were excellent, none ever seemed quite as good as his earlier masterpieces. I assumed that I would never read a Stephen King book that would better The Shining or The Stand. But then I read 11:22:63.

11:22:63 not only marks the return of Stephen King to his brilliant best, but it is also quite possibly his finest ever novel. Everything about it is spot on. The characters are excellent, but this is only as I expected, as I have always thought that characterisation was one of King's greatest strengths. In his latest book the main character is Jake Epping/George Amberson and he is the archetypal Stephen King "ordinary Joe", a man unwittingly carried along a path on which he has to take decisive actions for the ultimate good of the human race. The story, about travelling back in time to change the future, is superb. Only King at his best could make such an implausible plotline as this seem not only plausible, but utterly believable. Occasionally Stephen King has spoilt a very good book by providing us with a weak ending; this is certainly not the case with 11:22:63 because all the strands of the plot are tied up in an extremely satisfying manner. King even gives us an absolutely sublime final page, one which left me with a massive lump in my throat. 11:22:63 is a remarkable book.

Reading 11:22:63 gave me a buzz of excitement reminiscent of the buzz I used to feel when reading a Stephen King book a long time ago. It is almost like I had located a portal that had enabled me to travel thirty five years back in time...

5.0 out of 5 stars sorry guys loved it too - one of the best, 16 July 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Paperback)
I have read probably all of SK's novels - some fantastic (like the Dark Tower series and The Talisman) and some more mediocre . I am not a fan of short stories and if you also like an 'epic' tale - this is one for you.

He is back to his old form to my mind - as another reviewer put it, it was like the author gave you a 'handshake and a hug' and you were off an a brilliant adventure. I couldn't put the book down - meant to take it away on holiday but made the mistake of reading the first few pages - now I will have to find something else.

Great story and characters and would make a great movie - if they spend some money on it and don't turn it into a low budget 'made for tv' mini series which never works on SK's books.

A wonderful book with a heart wrenching ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of the world, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
I haven't read a King novel since I was in my 20s (I'm now in my 50s), thinking I'd outgrown him and the horror genre (though I will always remember the final line of "Pet Sematary").

But after reading all the fine year-end blurbs for Best Books of 2011, including in the Financial Times, for "11/22/63," I thought I'd give it a go.

Once begun, I tore through the book in five days (I had limited time to read, otherwise I would never have put it down), and I now lament having finished it. What a roller-coaster ride.

"11/22/63" is both a terrific time-travel tale and well-researched historical fiction, especially fun for those of us who have some memories of the '50s and '60s, even if we were only children. Certainly the juxtaposition between our online-all-the-time era and a simpler age was thought-provoking in itself, but King also reminds that we've come a long way where racism, ignorance and misogyny are concerned.

A hugely entertaining, thoroughly imaginative and emotionally gripping story, full stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, book, made me think!, 16 Nov 2011
M. A. Brown - See all my reviews
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Kindle Edition)
I started this book on Sunday and finished it 3 days later. It's the most thought-provoking Stephen King story I've ever read. A cracking story, told in the first person by Jake, and I was rooting for him all the way through the book.

I'm not normally given to dishing out 5 stars, but I would give this more if I could!

I recommend this book wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Health Warning - You May not Sleep until you have Finished this Book!, 9 Nov 2011
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
In the last few years it almost seems to have become a tradition that we get a new Stephen King book just before Christmas and the much anticipated 11/22/63 is likely to keep many engaged during the festivities this year. It was certainly a book I found hard to put down and which took priority over such mundane activities as eating and sleeping!

Yet again the author has managed to come up with a completely different scenario to entertain his readers. A time portal is opened which comes out to a time slot in 1958. Once the other side of the portal there is an opportunity to change the course of events so that history is altered, either in a small way or on an international scale. The adventure becomes a mission to prevent the assassination of JFK in 1963 - hence the title of the book. This is somewhat complicated by Jake, the time traveler's, ambition to additionally change other aspects of the past. The question is can the past be changed in a major way like this, or it the tendency for it to fall back into its original shape.

This book works on many levels. Stephen King deals with the 53 year time regression extremely well and we are transported into a world where you could be in a different universe, such have been the social and technological changes subsequently. Then there is the consideration of the Oswald controversy - was he working alone or are the conspiracy theorists right? Most of all this works as a joined up story with believable people who the reader comes to care about and wants to keep reading about.

I am a self confessed Stephen King fan and have read all of his work, but I imagine this fascinating tale will appeal to and be enjoyed by most readers. Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 21 Nov 2011
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
This is by far, the best Stephen King book I have read in a long time and I love all of his books! The basic premise: if you could, would you go back in time to prevent the assassination of JFK? This is surely something in different forms, we have all considered.(mine would be Hitler) Who wouldn't time travel given the opportunity? However, this thought provoking and frankly beautifully written book skilfully explore the pitfalls and complications of time travel. The main character, Jake, is likeable and keen to do the right thing. Does he succeed in his mission? I'm not telling you, but you will laugh and cry as you travel back to 1958 with Jake.

Just a little sideline- I loved the reference to another of King's masterpieces, "It" and fans of King will easily spot this.

Overall, simply wonderful, I am so miserable now I have finished this book as nothing else I have subsequently picked up is as good!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't normally read Stephen King but this is incredible!, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
I've heard that Stephen King is an amazing author and never doubted anybody's word. However, I've never liked reading anything too scary so this is the first Stephen King book I've had the pleasure of reading.

Ultimately, 11.22.63 is incredible! Without a doubt, it's the best book I've read all year. Even if you aren't usually a fan of Stephen King, or think he can only write Horrors and Thrillers, I urge you to try it. I wasn't disappointed!

There are moments of suspense and there are times where you can 'sense' a darker atmosphere, but only where it's intended and necessary. I got so absorbed in the book that I did feel a little frightened at certain points, but only because I was so in-tune with the character, thanks to some fantastic writing. This definitely isn't a scary/gory/Horror/Thriller story - so don't be afraid to try it if, like me, you're a little unsure. I assure you, the writing is amazing, the plot's ingenious and all the little twists and turns mean it's virtually impossible to put down right from the start.

If you do decide to read this based on my recommendation, I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Have fun :)

3.0 out of 5 stars The King still has it.......kind of, 4 July 2013
M. L. Parker "Mickey.P" (Zurich, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Paperback)
Enjoyable story with some good characters and King's usual dark humor.
Btw Love the little 'tip your hat' to IT
Out of all the King books I have read, and there have been many, I'd put this somewhere near the middle of the pile....

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not have been better, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Kindle Edition)
Wow, I don't even know what to write. Despite it's length I did not want this book to ever end. Stephen King is one of the most talented authors I've ever read but with this offering he has outdone himself. I don't need to go through the story line. It's a historical masterpiece - I knew almost nothing of the JFK shooting prior to reading this having been born 16 years after it happened but now I feel like I was there. The book is so well written it's hard to remember that it is mostly fiction! A love story, a moral dilemma and a fantastic read. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful storytelling, 7 Sep 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Paperback)
Only my third Stephen King (put off by the Pet Cemetery film which I watched through my jumper). Having said that Misery and The Green Mile were both fabulous and this is too. The date is that on which Kennedy was killed. What if you could go back.... Jake Epping does and the tale is brilliant. King manages to tell a love story, a cautionary tale and more. Any more will add spoilers but worth the read.

The 11/22/63