5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on this topic, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: English for Presentations at International Conferences (Paperback)
I received this book as a present from a friend, as a senior researcher I had in mind to know reasonably well how to make a presentation and didn't think to need it. As soon as I plunged into the reading, I realized that many of my beliefs were questionable and other ways of presenting results existed more attractive than those I had been using. In short, the book completely changed my views on presentations. Once again, I had to experience Socrates saying "I only know that I know nothing". The author is a master of clarity. The content is nicely organized and better explained. I have no idea of other books on this topic, but for sure this is a great choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for EAP trainers, 23 Jan 2011
I haven't come across a book like this before that is tailored specifically for non-native speakers. It contains loads of ideas not just for the students for whom it is intended but also indirectly for trainers like myself. It basically addresses all the fears my students have and comes up with sensible and feasible solutions. Even the shyest student should be able to do a reasonable presentation after reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for presentations in all languages, not just English, 17 Jan 2011
I am a PhD student in Philosophy and I occasionally I have to present my work to an international audience. Before reading this book I was extremely nervous about giving presentations, but this book has helped me overcome all my problems and I am now much more confident (though not perfect yet!). I think the most important thing I learned as that I tend to make the same 'mistakes' in presentations independently of whether I am giving the presentation in English or Italian (my mother tongue) - in fact, provided that you practice enough, the English language is not really the main problem. More important is good clear slides and a lot of preparation. My only reason for not giving this book five stars is that if would have been useful to have an accompanying DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars One word: useful!, 15 Dec 2010
I am a software developer and sometimes I need to present solutions to international customers.

In my opinion this book is a clear and simple tool for making effective presentations.

I found this book useful because it leads the reader step by step giving helpful tips for each work's phase.
Moreover this book contains a lot of recommendations to face audience in the most relaxed way, key point for delivering our concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful for teachers, 11 Dec 2010
I have always felt a bit of a fraud teaching students how to write and present their research when I have never actually done this myself, but this book has given me much more confidence to speak knowledgeably to my students on how to present their work at conference. I imagine that my situation is common to many ELT teachers who migrate from teaching general English abroad, and then return home to the US, UK or wherever they originated from and find that one good way to earn a living is by teaching English to foreign students attending university in a country where English is the first language. I suspect that this book was written as much for teachers as for students, and as such I would have no hesitation to recommend it for native English speaking trainers as much as their students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Nov 2010
I am not a researcher myself, but I do have to give presentations as I work for a company that has many international customers. I found it really useful because it helped me reduce my worries about the English language by showing me that I should:

* write out what I wanted to say
* use very short sentences which are easy to say (and also easy for the audience to understand)
* focus on pronouncing key words correctly (the book suggests using the Adobe 'read aloud' function to help with pronunciation)
* write a minimal amount of text
* and much other useful advice.

The book also contains a section on 'useful phrases' i.e. the standard phrases to use in a presentation. For the first time I felt confident about my presentation, and also my boss was really satisfied. I would really recommend this book to anyone who has to make a presentation in English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 24 Nov 2010
I found the book extremley useful.
It's really inspiring. It explains how do make convincing presentations that get the audience attention.
It's not only that. People go to presentations, and conferences in general, not just to be informed about hot topics in their research area. I believe that a crucial factor is also to meet key people in the hope of setting up a collaboration. I am an economist and in this book I found a wealth of information telling me how to write and deliver the kind of presentation that will motivate members of the audience to come and up and speak to me at the end of the presentation and/or during social events. The only comment I would make is that it would have been nice to have had more input on how to use Powerpoint, but given that this book is primarily on the English language part of presentations, then I suppose that would have been beyond the scope of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for non natives in all disciplines, 22 Nov 2010
Although this book seems to be intended for academics, I found it extremely useful myself as a software developer. I frequently have to go to clients and do demos in English, not a task that I particularly enjoy even though my English is of a Cambridge Proficiency level. This book has helped me overcome my fears and to understand that communication is two-way - if I don't understand my client's questions during the demo, I am not afraid to ask them to speak more slowly.

I also found the advice about keeping graphs, tables and figures as simple as possible. Before reading this book, I found that my clients often stared at my slides without really understanding them - both because of the very complex graphs and because I filled them with too much text.

This is a great book and is written in a very essential style that is easy to follow and consult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly useful!, 22 Nov 2010
I have a PhD in Linguistics and a Master's in Translation of Post-colonial Literature. Although I believe my level of English is already high, I found this book incredibly useful for giving oral presentations of my work. What it proved to me is that in reality my main problem, and presumably that of many non-native presenters, is not really due to problems in English but much more due to the structure, slides full of redundant text, and to a general lack of thought for the audience. This book has suggestions for researchers who have already presented on many occasions, to those who have never done a presentation before. What helped me in particular was useful advice on how to differentiate my presentation from those of other presenters at the conference. I managed to do this by adopting a more relaxed and informal tone, by considerably reducing the amount of information to give the audience, and by learning to be a little more entertaining - not easy things to do, but this book told me how.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, 19 Nov 2010
Most people consider to present own works in a foreign language as an unpleasant experience. This happens above all because of ill-prepared speeches. Moreover, presenters often belive that their primary objective is to provide as much data as possible in the time available. That's wrong.

A better solution is to choose few fondamental points and find the best way to communicate them to the audience. This book provides useful and accurate advices on how to prepare engaging and exciting presentations; how to be clear and interesting as well as passionate; on how to improve own vocabulary and pronunciation skills. In few words: it's useful, interesting, and noteworthy.

English for Presentations at International Conferences
English for Presentations at International Conferences by Adrian Wallwork (Paperback - 20 Sep 2010)
20.69