on 29 December 2011
I've just finished reading this wonderful, comprehensive review of the world of refracting telescopes at the present time. As a telescope owner it has given me ideas on how to upgrade my existing instrument to get much more out of it. It's a pity that a paperback book like this is so expensive, but I don't suppose there are economies of scale to be made.

Bill Samson
on 15 June 2011
Neil English has produced an informative and very useful guide to the way that refractors are designed, and how best to make use of the different types. His descriptions are sufficiently technical to facilitate understanding, but not so technical as to overwhelm the lay reader. An excellent read!
on 24 January 2015
The quality of printing was horrendous and the quality of pictures was even worse. Most of the explanations and descriptions are of expensive Refractors although there are fleeting references to Skywatcher, Celestron, Astro tech ( the telescopes that average people can afford).

If you are in the hunt for a refractor look up Televue, iceinspace and starizona websites among others for guidance. I was very disappointed with this book and returned it.
on 19 June 2014
Great information with practical examples. The Author had big experience with a lot of refractors and wrote lots of reviews.
on 6 July 2011
This is an excellent book.

I bought it to help me make my first choice of a refractor telescope, and as a complete novice I found it good but a litle overwhelming - I never realised it was such a complex subject!

If you already have some knowledge of refractor telescopes and understand all of the technical terminology then I am sure this book will be a "breeze" for you to read and enjoy.

For me as an absolute beginner to astronomy and telescopes it is a very helpful reference that I will keep on my shelf and refer to it for many years to come, and as I "grow into it" and understand more it will become an ever more usefull point of reference.