5.0 out of 5 stars The facinating real-life story of Atlantic City
Published on 27 Mar. 2011 by Christy2002

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
Having watched the series and enjoying it I was disappointed with the book. The series focuses mainly on Nucky Thompson who is based on the real-life Enoch Johnson. The book narrates from before, during and after Enoch Johnson and gets a bit too political for my liking.
Published 3 months ago by Magoo63

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The facinating real-life story of Atlantic City, 27 Mar. 2011
I've been enjoying the Boardwalk Empire TV series that has been shown on Sky Atlantic and I picked up this book in order to find out a little more about the real-life events that inspired the hit show. I'm glad I did. This is a great little potted history of the sleeze, crime and corruption for which Atlantic City is famous. The TV show is pretty much inspired by a couple of chapters of this book but the TV people have taken quite a bit of artistic license with the characters including changing names and roles. The fluent writing style of this book keeps you turning the pages and I raced through this book which is anything but a dry history of organised crime. People looking for a novelisation of the hit show may be a little disappointed but as in many cases, the truth is actually more interesting than fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 4 Mar. 2011
Really interesting book, i watched the complete series on Sky and then searched for more information on the characters involved. Found this book to be a real insight into that era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 2 Jun. 2011
I bought this for my mum on a recommendation from a colleague and she raved about this book! She loved the TV series but is also a great fan of social and political history which this book apparently has in spades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intereting history, 16 Jan. 2014
This is a great companion book for the TV series. There are no spoilers so go ahead and read it. It's the factual account of Nuky Thompson and several others in the early 1900s as they played with politics and gangs in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It's a good read, but gets a but dry at times. There are photographs, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the TV series, 26 Dec. 2013
Paul W. Burns (Armidale, NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
Anybody expecting this excellent regional history to be like the TV series will be disappointed. Probably only 2 pages out of the book were an inspiration for the series. Nevertheless it is detailed account of the rise, fall and rise of Atlantic City and well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Having watched the series and enjoying it I was disappointed with the book, 1 Feb. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the series., 4 Mar. 2013
My understanding of the series is it was based on fact and here is the fact. Extremely interesting. Enough to send me online to read more. To get an understanding of the times and places. Nucky was real. Though not as portrayed as the charactor in the series. Some names and dates have been changed to protect the innocen. Ha...the innocent were few and far between. It gives an excellent insight as to how the Mob were able to use corruption to further their "business".

5.0 out of 5 stars W O W !, 4 Sept. 2014
Jeff Davies (Blaenavon, Pontypool United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
WOW.......Superior read start to finish.........When you've seen the t.v. series and are able to put a face to the characters, it makes for a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 16 April 2015
More political than the average boardwalk fan would anticipate, but truly an in depth insight.

3.0 out of 5 stars Boardwalk to short, 29 Sept. 2013
angel gabriel (S. Wales England) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure what to expect. I have watched everything that has been on the TV and can't wait for it to return. On the other hand if there are any more books I won't be getting them. I was very disappointed, I like to be able to compare book to adaption...not happening in this case I even had a problem with the names in the book other than Nookie. It was one of the most expensive I had ever bought for my ebook not to mention it only has an average amount of pages. Would I recommend well if I hadn't/don't watch the series on TV why not cos you know no better, otherwise don't bother !!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›