4.0 out of 5 stars Very Steamy But Does Not Disappoint!
Published on 26 Sept. 2011 by Joellanne

2.0 out of 5 stars Fed Up!
Firstly the acronyms are getting way out of hand. Why not let the readers know CPD means Cadwell Police Department (I'm guessing) I dont buy books to get totally lost on the acronyms... I mean come on "VS" instead of "Victoria Secrets" (again I'm guessing) And what in god's name are "BVD's" ????

I'm fed up with saying "What the hell does that mean!" when it...
Published on 31 May 2012 by Luckid

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Steamy But Does Not Disappoint!, 26 Sept. 2011
The third book in JR Ward's Fallen Angel series follows Jim Heron on his quest to save the souls of seven chosen people, who will determine the fate of the rest of humanity. His third soul is Thomas DelVecchio Jr AKA 'Veck'. As with the other two books in the series we follow Veck at a crossroads in his life, hoping that he makes the choice that will give Jim a victory against the Demon Devina.

I really enjoyed this edition to the series. Ward once again creates characters in Veck and his colleague/love interest Reilly that you become invested in and want to have a happy ending. The twists and turns in their relationship and story kept me interested. My only criticism is that Ward is becoming slightly formulaic with the way she develops her characters. This is especially true if you have read the last few Black Dagger Brotherhood books. In both the BDB and fallen angel books the male characters are tall, huge (in every way of coarse), dominant characters who soften only in their interaction with the female love interest. I don't really want to read book after book about virtually the same males falling for virtually the same females. I hope Ward becomes a bit more inventive in the next few BDB and fallen angel books. The sex scenes, of which there are more than ever in this book are also very similar from book to book. Sorry Ward fans but it probably wouldn't be as obvious if they were used more sparingly!

Far more interesting and touching was the relationship between the angels, especially Eddie and Adrian. Their friendship and love for one another reaches new heights towards the end of the book and is really touching. We saw a bit more of the archangels Nigel and Colin in this book also. I found myself warming to them slightly as characters, especially Colin who I think may end up joining the fight on earth. Finally there is the interaction between Jim and Devina. Jim tries a new and dangerous tactic in this book in his fight with her. Ward is starting to portray Jim as something a bit different to the other angels and more powerful, so hopefully he will survive his new tactics. Again I found myself warming to Jim as we learned more about his strength and his compassion for others, especially Sissie and her family and the way he helped Adrian in his heartbreak.

Overall, I really enjoyed Envy. I think the Fallen Angel books are less predictable than the last few BDB books and have more potential for interesting developments in the future. I would definitely recommend Envy, especially to any JR Ward fans as it doesn't disappoint!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read with the Fallen Angels, 11 Sept. 2011
I have just finished reading Envy and really enjoyed it, I especially liked the continuation of the other characters storylines especially Adrian and the Archangel Colin who was quite a surprise.

The storyline is good, fast paced and although I did find the female lead a bit weak in places, the chemistry between the two and Ward's one liners were enough to keep me hooked.

What I like most with this series is the actual angels so the soul they are saving each book comes second to the story for me and I wasn't disappointed with Envy as a LOT happens to the angels.

You really need to read these in order as this is book 3 and the storyline follows on from the first two books. If you liked the first two, then you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Nov. 2011
Paula Mc (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Jim Heron, fallen angel is back and this time he is helping Thomas 'Veck' DelVecchio, homicide detective and son of a serial killer, a legacy which Veck fears he will carry for the rest of his life. Veck is teamed up with Internal Affairs, Sophia Reilly to hunt for a serial killer, who reminds Veck of his father. Along with Jim Heron, Adrian and Eddie they must discover what happened to the victims and for Jim, he must find the body of one of the victims, a victim of Devina and help her get to heaven. Veck's path is laid out in front of him, will chose to be like his father? Or face his demons and be the good man he is.

'Envy' is my favourite of the series, the storyline was excellent and yet again, J.R. Ward takes you through a range of emotions from the beginning to the ending of the story. Jim and Veck are both struggling and it draws them together to ultimately fight against Devina which made for excellent reading.

I cannot wait for the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another book,another soul, 5 Feb. 2012
fudggie girl (wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ex ops soldier and now Fallen Angel Jim Heron is already one soul down.Seeing Sissy encased in the black slimey walls of demon Devinas 'hell has made him more determind than ever to save the next one.
Detective Thomas'Veck'Delvecchio has demons of his own.The son of a mass murderer,does he share more than just the name of his father?
I give this book 5* because apart from being well written and the fact i thouroughly enjoyed it i liked all the characters.Also it was a bit of a crossover book with the vampire attack in the begining which ended the last book from'The Black Dagger series,Lover Unleashed'which is the first time J.R Ward does this.Also in both books we see Detective de la Cruz,taking place in Caldwell it had to happen at some time and i feel there may be a story there if we wait long enough for it.
I really like Jim Heron,Adrian,Eddie and little dog(who is he really?).It is a bit sad in the middle and i was dissapointed it happened(not going to say anymore than that).All in all i was etertained and unhappy that it had to come to an end and looking forward to meeting the next soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear a day and settle down to read!, 14 Dec. 2011
Always slighlty a worry after so far enjoying a series that the next installment might not live up to expectations - no worries here! I thankfully had a free afternoon so i could read the entire book in one sitting, and believe me it wasn't hard to do. I just had to find out the ending - whilst some aspects where always going to be slighlty predictable (the guy gets the girl, the good guys win another point...) there were also the great variety of surprises that J R Ward adds into her books. I love the fact that the story isn't always so nice and clean cut, and people do get hurt... The only criticism for the book which may effect other readers is that a lot of the back story of Vecks life is covered in the BDB book Lover Unleashed by Ward, therefore if you read both series you should be fine, i read the BDB book before this one so i understood a lot of the old references but it properly doesn't detract from the story line if you only follow the Fallen Angel series.
I can't wait for the next sin... and i'm so glad that there are 7 deadly sins!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another habit-forming series., 11 Nov. 2013
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Envy is the third book in the Fallen Angels series by American author, J.R.Ward. After saving one and losing one, Jim Heron, the nominated saviour, with his two sidekick angels, Eddie and Adrian, has another soul to save. The action for this instalment starts in BDB Lover Unleashed, when Thomas DelVecchio Jnr (BDB Butch O'Neal's replacement in CPD as De La Cruz's partner) is introduced as a cop with unenviable parentage and an anger management problem. When he finds himself in the woods with critically injured serial-killer Kroner, a man he had intended to kill, he can't remember what happened (thanks to a vampire memory wipe) so he imagines his evil self has taken over. After all, his father, Thomas DelVecchio Snr is a serial-killer on death row. But his call to 911 brings Internal Affairs cop, Sophia Reilly to the scene. The attraction is immediate, and once Veck is vindicated, they are thrown together as partners in Homicide. With Devina up to her usual tricks, the angels have their hands full, and Jim's focus on Sissy Barten's fate creates tension between him, Adrian and Eddie. Nor is life harmonious with the archangels, with Colin showing his argumentative side. This instalment has FBI impersonations, a visit to a prison, a hot scene interrupted by pizza, a shock death, a clever trick with mirrors and a gripping climax in a cave. Jim adds another trick to his arsenal; the banter between the characters is enjoyable and Ward sets up the characters for the next book in the series, Rapture. Another habit-forming series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fed Up!, 31 May 2012

I'm fed up with saying "What the hell does that mean!" when it comes to JR Ward's books.

Then there were the "Cup of wakey wakey" Eh! How hard would it have been to say coffee??? And using the term "tomato sauce" instead of "blood" Come on! How old am I? 2! I can handle someone being covered in blood.

I also found it a little hard to connect with the characters and for some reason they all seemed male to me. I could be wrong but I found very little femininity in the few chapters I read.

Sorry if I have offended JR Ward fans but being a lover of BDB (though that is debatable after the last one) I have found her writing far to hard to follow these days.

I love getting lost in a novel, Kresly Cole's Loithaire for instance. Read that novel in 3 days. I've been on Envy for over a week now... it's unheard of according to my hubby. Anywho...Page 106 and the book is going in the recycle bin. What a waste of money. Won't be buying JR Ward again.

Lets hope the copy of Lover Reborn already sitting on my bookcase will renew my faith in Ms Ward but I'm not holding my breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series so far!, 22 Feb. 2012
L. Sears "Redlorry" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Envy is the third in the fallen Angel's series, and by my reckoning the best so far. To be read after: Covet: A Novel of the Fallen Angels: 1 (Novel of the Fallen Angels 1) and Crave: A Novel of the Fallen Angels (Novels of the Fallen Angels), in that order.

What I love about these stories is that they tie in nice and tight with The Black Dagger Brotherhood, and Ward's unique style and story telling are instantly recognisable.

In this instalment Jim Heron is starting to get to grips with the Angel thing. He's realising the boundaries aren't always black and white, and that where Devina is concerned all's unfair in sex and war, but that can work for you as well as against you.

Just like her character, Ward isn't afraid to break boundaries either. Her cunning imagination always give the reader hope that they might get the outcome they want while she never actually gives anything away.

Ward's talents to paint the scene are second to none; with a broad collection of secondary characters all woven into the plot, these stories are more like mini movies than books.

I've already pre-ordered Rapture: A Novel of the Fallen Angels: 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 4 Sept. 2014
Great Fallen Angels series by JR Ward. It is quite different to her other series and unique in its own way.

Jim is in a league of his own as her his two fellow Fallen. The scenes in heaven were very humorous, which added to the attraction of this novel.

I liked everything about this book and would recommend to those who like paranormal with a difference.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Fallen Angels" series book 3, 11 Sept. 2011
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The third soul to be fought over in this dark, gritty supernatural series belongs to Detective Thomas DelVecchio Jr. (aka Veck). At the start of "Envy" he is stalking a serial killer and has no recollection of how his target ends up a bloody mess close to death. Enter Internal Affairs officer Sophia Reilly, who teeters between believing Veck innocent one moment and guilty the next. She's fairly quick to jump into bed with Veck, but doesn't deal well with the consequences of her actions. As a result she's swayed enough by others into believing Veck guilty of murder when it's pretty clear he's an innocent guy with a bad reputation.

*** warning - the next paragraph contains a BIG spoiler ***
Veck is supposed to be a dual character; leaving the reader unconvinced whether he will ultimately make the right choice when his soul hangs in the balance. The previous souls in books "Covet" and "Crave" who faced the same situation kept the reader off balance with the suspense surrounding the choice they would make. In "Envy" Veck is too much a `good guy' for the reader to ever believe Devina will win this round. Ok he may have a notorious serial killer for a father and could have nearly killed a suspect but at no point did I ever think Veck would fall for Devina's ploys.

Instead I found myself more interested in the tensions building between the Archangels and the Fallen Angels. AA Nigel seems to be losing confidence whilst the relationship between the trio of fallen angels Eddie, Adrian and Jim is splintering. In fact there is a surprising impactful event and I look forward to finding out how JRW will explore this further.

Jim continues to surprise; he may seem at times to be led around by Devina, but he proves to be tough and resourceful and willing to walk a very thin line, yet his commitment to ensuring Sissy's soul is freed (the sacrificial victim from book 2 "Crave") is somewhat endearing. The plot remains fast paced, and despite the fact the new human protagonists do nothing unexpected, the machinations of angelic and demonic forces keep the action fairly exciting and offer a few unexpected twists. 3.5 stars

Envy: A Novel of the Fallen Angels (Fallen Angels Novels (J. R. Ward))
Used & New from: £57.58