5.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner, but when it gets going - WOW!!
This one is a slow burner. The beginning is all about setting up the premise, but not in a straight-forward fashion. You get to see Trez from the Brotherhood stories which is always a bonus. And once it gets going, OMG!!!

Published on 5 Oct. 2009 by Skargasm

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!!!
Published on 15 July 2012 by isismoonchild

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner, but when it gets going - WOW!!, 5 Oct. 2009

Winding along, twisting and turning, the heroine isn't your typical good girl, and the hero isn't your typical good guy, and there's a definite reason why the angels have fallen. But this story is hot, as hot as the Brotherhood stories but in a slightly different way. I don't want to give any spoilers (esp since it looks like I'm the first review) so I shall simply say to stick with it, this story WILL drag you in, and you WILL find yourself turning pages quicker and quicker. Well worth the bags under my eyes caused by staying up way past my bedtime to finish it.

I'm off to re-read Rehvenge - looks like I might have to wait a little while before the next J R Ward book but they are most definitely always worth the wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Skim the Prologue, enjoy the book, 15 Oct. 2009
L. Murphy (UK) - See all my reviews
The Prologue to this book upset me. It was dull, confused, and, as is so often said about JRW, about 80% incomprehensible to a British reader. I tentatively assume she's using some sort of sport as an analogy, but being English, and of the female persuasion, that's as far as I got. I don't know what sport she meant and don't understand what the point was. Put it this way - I had to re-read the blurb on the back to work out why Vin started becoming a main character and what Jim was doing.

I was actually worried I wasn't going to be able to finish the book, especially as I've been a bit fed up with the BDB, and therefore haven't even read Lover Avenged yet - I am waiting for the paperback version.

However, thankfully, once the horrible Prologue was over, straightaway this was an Excellent Book! JRW has definitely benefited from taking a break from the BDB - there was a freshness and energy about this book that's been missing in the later, angst-ridden novels (and let's not talk about the BD encyclopedia - although CF should really do something similar and stop cluttering up her books with that self-indulgent Carpathian language rubbish).

I did think the end was a tiny bit skimpy, and I definitely want to know more about Adrian and the other one, but I am really looking forward to the next in the series, and I did enjoy the little BDB bits, Phury popping up and the references to Rhev.

As soon as I finished Covet I started re-reading Lover Eternal - Rhage & Mary's story is my absolute favourite of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant start to a new series, 5 Oct. 2009
B. Cook (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Brilliant, fantastic, superb! The start of a new series from JR Ward which is even better than the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Although i was hooked on the BDB series and will continue to buy the rest of the series i was getting weary of the heart wrenching pain and anguish the heroes were suffering ( and had been suffering from for hundreds of years).
This series promises to be much lighter. Covet - still had its share of angst but it was toned down much more and the characters were more rounded and sympathetic for it. Jim is a fallen angel who has been chosen by both good and evil for one final battle for supremacy,( both sides have to agree on the one representative and each side has reason to believe he will side with them). He has 7 missions to save souls from the deadly sins the first side to 4 wins, now obviously hes not going to win them all so the outcome in each story will not be obvious, you have to bear with the beginning of this book as there is a lot of "setting up" of the rules and it does confuse a little, the story is set in Caldwell home of the BDB but there is very little crossover, this is more supernatural than "other races" and there is little in the way of super powers in this story but hints of more to come.
The whole story is a bit of a tease with tidbits of information to get you hooked, there is humour, a lovely romance, a really vile baddy and a couple of brilliant sidekicks, and not too much darkness.
For those of you irritated with all the abbreviations in BDB (sorry but it is a bit of a mouthful) there are far fewer in Covet, also gone are the silly names and although i fully approve of heaven being set in England, i thought the Brideshead revisited version a bit of a joke - then again maybe it was meant to be and i missed the point!!
It was too engrossing to devour in one sitting so i read it in 2 days but must confess when i wasn't reading it my mind kept going back to what was going to happen next! Now the frustrating wait for the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fallen Angels" series book 1, 4 Oct. 2009
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Jim Heron, a man with a dubious and violent past is selected by both angelic and demonic forces to ultimately decide the outcome of the millennia old war waged between good and evil. Jim has been chosen to influence the lives of seven people as each is tempted by one of the seven deadly sins; whilst their resulting actions will decide whether good or evil finally prevails.

In book one Jim's target for salvation is Vin Di Pietro, a successful but shady businessman who has succumbed to greed; coveting the possessions he has accumulated and the beautiful woman he has in his life. Yet Vin is not totally lost, and the only person who seems able to understand the strange events happening around him is a man who claims he is here to help save his soul.

Of course as an avid fan of this author's BDB books, I cannot help but make comparisons between these two series. Jim and his angelic cohorts are physically similar to the BDB vampire warriors and have the same kick a** attitude when it comes to fighting the bad guys. As they certainly have no problems with violence or sex, the emphasis is definitely on Fallen rather than angel when it comes to labelling this new breed of hero. There are the odd touches of humour I expect from this author; namely Jim receiving divine messages from the television whilst the story line is almost breathtaking; its multitude of sub plots creating an intense, twisting, action fuelled novel capable of satisfying any adrenaline junkie.

The initial action is somewhat slow paced at the beginning of this book as the author sets the scene, but expect to be blown away once the real battle begins. There is also an interesting romance between Vin and his lover; a woman with a past JRW is able to make the reader empathise with, and as expected from this author some seriously hot moments. "Covet" is certainly on par with any BDB novel and definitely has the potential to blow the first series out of the water. Forget vamps, I want a fallen angel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Start To A New Series, 8 Oct. 2009
I just finished this book today and it has been a gripping read from the start. This new series deals with Angels & Demons, but of the much cooler kind than Dan Brown's. The characters are all well developed and instantly likeable, although I wish Adrian and Eddie had been given more page time as I wanted to find out more about them.

The two main characters are Jim Heron an ex-military man who is recruited by the good guys but still endorsed by the bad guys as he is capable of profound caring as well as extreme violence, and Vincent di Pietro, a man with a single minded drive to succeed and acquire riches. There are some very humerous moments and the same acronym driven language used in this author's other series, the Black Dagger Brotherhood, but most of these you can figure out with some common sense, although as a Brit, some exlusively US cultural references are lost on me.

The story sets a good pace from the start and a lot of it concentrates on the romance aspect which is central to the story line. Once the action kicks in though (near the last third of the book) the book is unputdownable and I have to say that J R Ward is one the few romance writers who handles her actions scenes with as much skill as her explicit scenes. The references and hints to the next story make me impatient for the next installment as it looks like it will be another explosive read. This genre is well used and old but Ward's new series has definitely established a place for itself.

A word of warning for readers. At the end of this book is an excerpt from the new BDB novel 'Lover Mine' which I advise you not to read if you haven't read Rehvenge's novel (Lover Avenged) yet, as it contains spoilers which might ruin Rev's book for you. It mentions some plot points which i would have prefered to have found out while reading the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!!!, 15 July 2012
Having recently fallen in love with the Black Dagger Brotherhood, I was hoping the Fallen Angels series would fill the gap until the publication of Lover At Last (Blay and Quinn's story). What a disappointment this book has been. In the BDB I love at least 98% of the characters but frankly I didn't give a rat's about one single character in this book. Jim Heron doesn't have even a quarter of the charm, sex appeal and humour of Lassiter (who I hope will get his own BDB story). I found the depiction of the 'British' archangels ridiculous and can only suggest that before she writes about us JRW comes over to the UK and actually meets some Brits for herself. I won't be buying any more books in this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars If this book were a colour, it would be beige., 14 Oct. 2009
C. Watson (Highlands, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy Ward's writing and eagerly wait for each new Black Dagger release and with the exception of Phury's story I have not been disapointed.

When I heard Ward was writting a new series I had mixed feelings. I did not want attention taken from the Brotherhood, but I also looked forward to what else she would come up with, and the idea of fallen angels was intriguing.

Unfortunately this fell a bit flat.

I found I could not engage with the chatacters and none of them had qualities that made me want them to win or lose. To be honest, I did not care.

Everyone is far to excepting of demons and angels. We do not really get inside the head of the stalker to know his back ground. The heroine is a prostitute and even she admits there were so many other things she could have done. Jim, who is the main hero of the book has committed many crimes under goverment instruction in his life, but even they are brushed over with the standard "if I tell you have will have to kill you" excuse. Does that mean the reader as well? There was just no real emotion coming from anyone... except maybe Dog. (Yep, he is a dog!)

Maybe with the following books more will get explained, I don't know. I have given it three stars as the writing style is fast paced and easy to read and the hope the follow up will be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fallen Angels book 1, 13 Mar. 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is the first book in J.R. Ward's new series so as a big fan of her Black Dagger Brotherhood books I couldn't wait to read Covet. The story is set in Caldwell & although it doesn't mention the Brothers directly I loved the way there were a couple of appearances by characters from the BDB series.

The main character Jim Heron isn't your typical hero - he is an ex-military man and has seen more than his share of violence in his life. Now he finds himself in the middle of a war he'd never even imagined - with consequences that are going to be very far reaching for the rest of the world. He has been tasked with saving the souls of seven people who are each going to be tempted by one of the seven sins. If he prevails then good will win but if he doesn't then the world as we know it will be destroyed.

His first task is to help Vin who has succumbed to greed - he is a wealthy and successful business man but some of his dealings have been shady to say the least. Although Jim first assumes that his task is to help Vin propose to his long term girlfriend he soon discovers that things are not what they seem and the situation is a lot worse than he was expecting. It isn't going to be easy to extricate Vin from the situation he has found himself in.

The story is a little slow to start but that is to be expected with a new series when the author is building the a new world. I can assure you that when the action starts it is everything you would expect from J.R. Ward. There are plenty of plot twists and turns and I loved watching the relationship develop between Vin and his heroine. I liked the fact that none of the characters were perfect, they've all done things in the past that they regret and aren't afraid to admit it. I also enjoyed the comedy and am looking forward to seeing more of Jim, Adrian and Eddie in future books.

Overall I thought this was a great start to a new series & I will definitely be reading Crave when it comes out in September. If you like the BDB series then I'd recommend you give this one a try. Even if you are new to J.R. Ward you can still read this series without it giving you spoilers for the BDB if you decide to read that series later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as Brilliant as BDB!, 28 Oct. 2009
Lu (Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of the BDB series (especially the earlier books) and was very much looking forward to a whole new venture from this author. If i'm honest i didn't expect it to be as good as BDB, but i went into reading it with a clean slate as if hadn't read any of the Ward's previous work.
Covet turned out to be beyond anything i'd expected! I loved the twists and turns in this, the unconventional romance and the gritty realism that makes the BDB books so amazing (there are even a few sneaky references to certain vamps).
I also enjoyed the fact that there is, in a way, 3 main characters to this story. Rather than just the hero and heroine, we have the Fallen Angels, specifically Jim, who provided a lot of the humour throughout and who obviously will connect all future novels in this series. Already eager for his HEA!
I think fans of Ward and newbies to her books will equally love this urban romance - i read it in one sitting!
J R Ward just gets better and better. Really looking forward to the future installments in this fantastic series.

5.0 out of 5 stars She did it again!!, 4 Nov. 2009
I have to be honest. When I bought this book I wasn't so sure I was going to like it. I'm so into the Black Dagger Brotherhood and the brothers themselves that I wasn't sure a change in mythology would do it for me. I WAS WRONG!!!

This book is great! Ward really knows how to make you believe things, she has an amazing writing style. She knows how to portrait the good guys without making them look like annoyingly perfect saints (which in this book I found hilarious!) and the bad guys... well let me tell you, they are creepier than ever!
IMO, the main characters are believable and consistent and so is the rest of the book.

And a little treat: some of the BDB characters show up (albeit briefly)!

If you think to buy this book and read just another romance novel, maybe this book isn't for you.
Ward's books aren't just Romance they are so much more, for which I'm grateful.

Covet (Fallen Angels Novels (J. R. Ward))
Covet (Fallen Angels Novels (J. R. Ward)) by J. R. Ward (Audio CD - 29 Dec. 2009)
Used & New from: £73.82