5.0 out of 5 stars Read For Yourself
Published on 23 Oct 2009 by Mr. S. Barnes

2.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves
This is really a book of two halves. The first half was the most interesting, about his childhood and creating Korn and their rise to stardom. Once he "finds" God however, it becomes preachy and frankly ridiculous.

Published on 17 Aug 2011 by Mr C Dickson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Read For Yourself, 23 Oct 2009
Mr. S. Barnes (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It's a very good book to start. The tale of Head, as he grew, played with Korn, and found God through addiction. He doesn't hold back on many details and it provides with a great insight into the life of a rock n roll star. Those who don't believe in God may not be so impressed with the later part of the book as it is mostly about his christian life, and the story of how faith helped him overcome.

Wether you believe in what he is saying or not, its certainly a compelling read for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing and inspiring!, 23 Dec 2007
R. Stevens "English teacher" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This is such an amazing book. 'Head' really lets us in on the darkness of his life with Korn, yet in a gentle but truthful way. The first few chapters were a little 'I did this, then I did that'... but over all it is simply, but grippingly written. I am so glad he didn't just stop with 'I got converted and it was great', but he goes on to show his struggles with drugs and the effects of his lifestyle after he became a Christian. It also is a very real account of some of the more contraversial things about Christianity - his description and explanation about 'speaking in tongues' is concise and truthful, whilst being uncondemning of Christians who don't practise the 'spiritual gifts' in the same way. It's inspirational reading an a very good introduction to Christianity. We've bought copies for everyone in our Youth group!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool passionate, inspirational, helpful honest book from Metal star, 20 Feb 2011
This is the huge selling bestseller autobiography of former guitarist HEAD from the huge American metal band KORN. He quit at the absolute hight of their success, when they were on massive world selling tours, with stupidly huge amounts of money, drugs, women and anything else they might want was there for them. But he saw it all ruining him, corruding him, and his soul. He got out, found God and saved his life and relationship with his family and little daughter.
This is a hugely insirational book, really fantastic. Honestly, even if you are very skeptical about organised religion, juts check it out to know how bad the supposed rock star dream life was, and how much better it was for him to escape and know God.
It is sometimes shocking, disturbing, but also thoughtful, deep, funny, wild, amazing and true.
For fans of KORN, rock music, heavy metal of all kinds, God or just tales of people saving their lives in the most profound ways. A really great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 9 Jan 2014
I must admit I really wasn't sure how I would cope with this book. I have always enjoyed korns music but felt they really lost something when head left. I have toyed with buying this book for sometime as I really wanted to understand what made him leave and also some insight into the band but was worries when he discovered Christ would I lose interest, just switch off etc. just so you know I in fact read the whole book and enjoyed it too. I found out a lot about korns early days and when he found Christ it was interesting too see what a positive impact it had on his life. I wouldn't consider myself a Christian but I would say if your nterested in korn read this book and its very insightful with some really sad moments but your worried about the Christian theme just see that as a positive life chance that helped head through some really dark times and as he says made him a better person but just because he felt it work for him doesn't mean it has to for you or you have to agree with everything he is saying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprised, 26 July 2007
David Bustin (Truro) - See all my reviews
I have read the book and am impressed and suprised.

Firstly I am impressed that Brian managed to beat his deamons and Sencondly I am suprised how detailed the book is, very straight to the point and a good read for any fan or non-fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 16 July 2007
O. Pelech (usa) - See all my reviews
This book is incredible! I was totally blown away by it. It is a very compelling and authentic portrait of a man that went through a very miraculous transformation. It inspired me.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 17 Aug 2011
Mr C Dickson (Massachusetts, MA USA) - See all my reviews

I'm glad he got himself sorted out and away from drugs, but the way he starts stating God as a FACT and the presence of a divine spirit, it became utterly absurd. Maybe if you're into all that Christian mumbo-jumbo, you might enjoy it. I tuned out though. Didn't bother finishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of Real Truth, 20 Jun 2014
Mr. J. R. M. Spurrett (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
'Save Me From Myself' is a really passionate story about how a life that looked and seemed so wonderful turned so very bad. Then it shows in graphic detail how the 'Power of Jesus Christ' can put things back together again. A must read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Life is Preachy..., 7 April 2014
De C (Hessen Deutschland) - See all my reviews
When I heard of Head leaving the band Korn back in the days, I was pretty excited to finally read the entire story of why he did so and how he found his personal connection to spirituality. A few months ago I finally sat down and read "Save Me From Myself". And I have to admit: I did not like it at all.

This has various reasons. One - he is not a good writer by any means. Of course this does not come as a big surprise, yet still I expected something a little more articulate. If you can look past the sloppy style of writing, you will still find yourself entertained quite a bit by the story and drawn to the various steps of the downfall of the man's life. This is not only because of the things that he has been through but also because one gets sort of an insight into Korn's daily life, from recording albums, writing songs, playing shows, and taking drugs.

Then comes the second part and with it a whole lot of different issues that ruined the entire read for me. First of all, Welch does not seem to see himself as responsible for his acts. It's either the drugs or God who control his actions and the words that come out of his mouth. What exactly makes this journey his effort then? Isn't the title in this case misleading? Shouldn't it rather be "How God found me, told me to quit Korn, kick drugs, and told me to tell my story"?

The way that Welch was talking about God and Jesus didn't bother me, but rather disappointed me. It reminded me of a little kid that is told about this "man in the clouds" for the first time. Instead of providing the reader with an interesting insight into the field of spirituality, Welch incorporates this - in my opinion - childish state of wonder about everything. There is no point where Welch seems to question the "signs" that God "gives" him. If you want to believe that the Illuminati run the world and show this by putting the number 23 as well as triangles everywhere, you at some point will see those symbols more frequently. Is this a proof for anything? I think not! The same thing in my opinion can be applied to Welch's worldview. Interpreting all tiny things that happen every day as signs and means of communication from God is in my opinion very unconvincing due to its immense subjective notion.

If people take this book as a spiritual guidance and gather some strength from it, that is totally fine. Yet I find it really hard to see past a few remarks that Welch made towards the end of the book. The one that bugged me the most was his comment about money. He stated that he now knows that he does not have to worry about money because "God will take care of this". Does this mean that the poor simply do not believe in God enough? Of course he makes a point that I agree with - one should care more about love and family than about money. Yet, saying that God will provide for you financially is simply wrong and in this case heavily ignorant. Welch was and still is a huge rock star. It is not God who magically puts some money onto your bank account, it's people who buy your music and books, as well as record lables that invest in you and your art!

To sum it up: The first half of the book was interesting because it gives the reader a good insight into the craziness that comes with being a rock star. Yet, the entire impression of the book was ruined by the second part that lacks a mature look on religion/spirituality as well as the responsibility for one's actions. Welch seems to jump to conclusions pretty quickly with the good old knockout argument "because God did it/said so". I find this highly disappointing for an adult that is in his forties. Plus, I don't see where this would expand one's reception of God or spirituality, as Welch does not frame any "new" points of view. Thus, I can't recommend this book, yet rate it 2/5 for at least providing the reader with a few (at the time of the book's release) unknown details about the band Korn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and honest story, 6 Jan 2014
I love this book. Within two days of my recieving it, I had read it through.
The story is really honest and touching, and I simply love reading about God's work in a man like Brian. His testimony is an awesome one.
However, I better like reading dead guys. Those who are still alive, still have time to screw things up again - and I really fear for him as he has now reentered koRn - but I hope for his best and I pray for him.
I will deffinately recommend this book to anyone who knows about Brian, koRn or any of that environment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Save Me from Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story
Used & New from: 20.42