2.0 out of 5 stars No, go on...tell us what you really think......, 3 May 2009
Bloodnock (Melbourne, Aus) - See all my reviews
If I die famously, please please do not ask Kenneth Lynn to write my biography!
This is a well written poison-pen addition to the Chaplin factory of bios - and that Lynn despises Chaplin is quite obvious from almost the first few pages. No coincidence, then, that the publisher decided to use the famous 'devil' pic of Chaplin on the dust cover.
Why Lynn just didnt cut to the chase within the first two pages and tell the reader how odious a subject Chaplin was to him is beyond this reviewer! Still, I did keep on reading mainly out of pure curiosity just to see where Lynn was taking me; where he did take me was to a place I really didnt want to go.
I gave you 2 stars Mr Lynn: one star because you write quite well, and the other because the book is still on my shelf and can't bring myself to chuck it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Manipulative, 10 Sep 2011
Wow, quite a manipulative read. The tone reminds me a great deal of how the U.K.'s Daily Mail almost enforces its opinions on the reader almost sub-conciously. I hope readers of this book have their critical thinking skills sharpened, and are able to read between the lines. Well written to be sure, but hardly objective. I learned some new things, such as Harry Crocker returning to Chaplin years after the City Lights falling out, but because of the tone of the book, was it worth it?
Anyone who claims parts of "The Circus" is boring has lost all credibility with me I'm afraid.

Charlie Chaplin and His Times
Charlie Chaplin and His Times by Kenneth S. Lynn (Audio CD - 20 Dec 2010)
Used & New from: 123.61