5.0 out of 5 stars Good.
I'm not really a fan of sciencey, zombie type stuff. But this is actually quite good. The story line, plot and characters were all well enough. Overall not a bad read at all.
Published 1 month ago by KN01

Published 18 months ago by HW

5.0 out of 5 stars Good., 29 Oct 2014
This review is from: Lifehack (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a BRILLIANT story, you should read it, but it's got some issues..., 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lifehack (Kindle Edition)
I'll start out by saying that the writing is very good and well paced; grammar nuts need not fear and you're not being tripped up by poor English. The world is well realised and believable. The story itself is a brilliantly clever and at times mildly terrifying take on a classic and sometimes over done concept. I won't spoilt it by saying what this is as it did manage to take me by surprise which was welcome and not easy to do to another writer. The plot pulls you along into worst-case scenario after worst-case scenario without getting tiring or dull. I would highly recommend reading it on that basis alone.

Where this seems to fall down is with the characters, although not so much as individuals. On their own in rooms with thick walls between them the characters are also quite good, some a little more over the top than others but not without explanation and they do each have their little shining moments.

The issue comes when they meet. The general level of behaviour becomes a little childish, and interpersonal plot twists and imagery bear too much in common with a borderline Hentai manga. The conclusion of these personal plot lines are obvious, not remotely true to life, and considering that these people are within a military setting (one civilian or not it doesn't matter) beg serious questions about the organisation they're working for.

If it wasn't for the real issues I had with the characters this would have easily been a 4 star review maybe even 5 star because the story itself was excellent, and I hate having to drop it down to a 3 but towards the end I was getting really tired of the characters. I will probably read the rest of the series, but not right away.

3.0 out of 5 stars The story was very loose., 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lifehack (Kindle Edition)
I really don't know why I actually read this to the end. The premise of the story was good and the actual writing, not bad at all, but the characters were so awful. The lesbian slant became relentlessly infantile. It would've been a great story if it had developed grown up characters and kept to the zombie storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this story, have now purchased 2 and 3, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lifehack (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The female characters were all very strong but very real in personality and it was welcome to see- most zombie fiction does tend to involve less strong female characters or over the top Mary-Sue types.

I loved the concept of nanites and the villan, I haven't yet seen other fiction using the same idea and plot played out well.

I have downloaded 2 and 3 because I'm very interested to see more in this verse, especially book 3 piques my interest.

Interestingly, where it falls down a bit for me is the same as for the other reviewer- while the characters are great, sometimes they are a little too over-the-top in regards to personal lives given the military setting. Especially with the addition of a certain disliked character on the team. While I do like that kind of personal touch and love getting into the characters lives and emotions, I think a less military setting wouldn't have seemed so over the top to me- it was purely that setting it felt a bit off for.

I also found some of the action scenes a bit to much for some of the characters too- Regan, for example, it was hard to see her just pick up a gun and start fighting like a military person in the very beginning. After a while, survival fighting, but in the first instance it was more grabbing guns and less grabbing sharp objects. She seemed instantly good with guns which i found a bit odd. The other characters it was expected, so I didn't find that odd at all but Regan- at the very first- it did.

I would definitely recommend reading this book, it's very well-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, definitely recommend, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lifehack (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, every scene had you on the edge and wanting more.

The only thing is that i wished there was a better scene towards the end with two main female characters.
But this book is a great read and i would recommend anyone to read it and i am now looking forward to reading the second in the series of books

Lifehack
Lifehack by Joseph Picard (Paperback - 26 Feb 2009)