5.0 out of 5 stars SPOM
This book should be given to every child at school. Every single one of them, and then the teachers and the parents of the children. I have 2 copies, and tomorrow I will be handing a third copy over to a younger friend of mine for her 24th birthday. I hope the knowledge she discovers will support her throughout her life choices. A fantastic book.
At a more academic...
Published 2 months ago by J

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but very disorganised...
I enjoyed reading this book and it had lots of interesting ideas... however, I felt that it did not flow very well. It seemed like a string of interesting facts put together and often repeated in no particular order and with no obvious coherence.

Published on 23 April 2010 by Arya

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOM, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Sexual Politics of Meat (20th Anniversary Edition): A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory (Paperback)
At a more academic level, I think Carol Adams's decision to write what she did when she did and then publish it when she was ready, along side the information she provides, supported by men and women from all era's, book references, quotes, images; the whole kit and kaboodle of a thoroughly researched, and personal story of observation, empathy and emotion. I love Absent Referent, I use it all the time, and now I know it has a 'term', thank you, thank you so much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still an important book, 13 July 2010
On the one hand, having only recently got around to reading the book, it still is relevant, still is interesting and still says things that need to be said. On the other hand, I felt that it could have gone further into some critical analysis of less 'obvious' texts - but this remains a minor criticism. Altogether I would highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but very disorganised..., 23 April 2010

A vegetarian literature classic worth reading but be prepared to force yourself through some of the chapters (unless you are quite artsy and enjoy a bit of chaos in literature)...