5.0 out of 5 stars Oozing with good advice
OK, so I admit I started reading this with a giant pinch of salt at the ready. It was unnecessary. I've been teaching for almost thirty years now, I've seen many ( too many ) changes in that time and if I had to give a book to a trainee teacher then this would be the one.

Published on 5 May 2007 by BG

3.0 out of 5 stars Review Getting the Buggers to Behave
Published on 20 Dec 2010 by BizzyLizzy

5.0 out of 5 stars Oozing with good advice, 5 May 2007

Children are not the enemy - they are children - even the 18 year olds - and this book offers much sound advice to keep you sane and happy through your teaching career.

This is an excellent guide to one of the best professions in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential!, 15 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This book is fantastic! I really can't recommend it enough... Very easy to read with lots of practical examples to ground the theory. Sue genuinely understands the issues behind bad behaviour and seeks to address those. Some of her suggestions will be things you do anyway, but it is worth reading the book to really consolidate it in your head! Another thing I found refreshing was that she is not naive with pupils (eg you say come here to a pupil and they always do!) but she does explain how a certain attitude and consistency will always work ultimately (even if the child does not 'come here'.) Highly Highly Highly recommended... Thanks Sue :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 23 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I am a student teacher and have found this book really interesting. It gave me ideas as to how to start off when I get my own class and also made me think of a few things that had never entered my mind before. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 3 Sep 2001
By A Customer
Some very useful tips and advice on behaviour management that applies to both the primary and secondary sectors. The book is written in a style that is easily accesible, and uses plain straight forward English. The case studies are very good, and the advice for time management is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Teacher's Bible, 4 Feb 2002
Year 7 getting you down? Year 10 driving you mad? This book is full of practical advice for getting the buggers to behave! Realistic strategies that really work - take it from me, I've tried them! Go on ... give them hell!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good one for english teachers, 30 Jun 2008
The title of this book may lead you to believe the author to be of a strict and dominating character in the class room. This perception is wrong. Instead you can find a calm 'firm but fun' attitude to behavior management and teaching in general. I would definitely guess Ms Cowley to be an English teacher and describes lesson plans for conceptual subjects; the arts.

The book explains throughly ideas and tips for getting a student's attention and respect though uses a possibly naieve view of the average student. As a young teacher I remember being a student myself recently and I think that some of these methods wouldn't work on badly behaved students because they rely too much on the analysis of self the author explains will calm them down and the idea that explanation of the rules will calm a hot headed student.

I prefer to be a bit more strict than Ms Cowley when I'm teaching and would not reason with a misbehaving student as much as she does, but I certainly share her philosophy of a fun teacher being a better teacher. I found very few tips useful for science lessons in this book, but theres a science teaching book available by the author should you enjoy the style of this book.

This said, I certainly believe that these tips will be very useful in my future carreer for dealing with the average student, rather than the badly behaved. This book was excellent fun to read; I got through it in one night! Well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, 19 Jan 2002
Sue Cowley presents a behaviour management book for experienced teachers and NQTs alike. Working in a tough inner city school, I thought positive behaviour management would never work, but I was proved wrong! Cowley's engaging and 'jargon free' style makes this an interesting read, and the tips, simple as they seem at first glance,have certainly sorted out 'those unmanageable year 9's on Friday period 5'!! A must have for anybody with a class they dread...

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant start or intervention to classroom management., 27 Aug 2006
Mr. D. Bowman - See all my reviews
We've all heard it before. If kids missbehave in your lesson you must "Inspire" them, or plan the lesson better, or be more "enthaustic" or blah, blah, blah. I generally cut out at this point because, like most teachers, I'm doing all of the above and I know even the best planned and most exciting lesson can go wrong.

I picked up this book half way through my PGCE and all the advice it gave clicked into place and rapidly improved my classroom management and immediently helped my teaching.

What makes it so effective is that Sue is mearly human herself, who has learnt how to be a good teacher over the years. The book shows a great understanding of what it's like to be a teacher and how difficult it can be managing certain classes or just making a good lesson go even better.

This book it demonstrates how to get pupils to do as you say, how to get them to want to behave and how to manage it all when things do go wrong without stressing yourself out to much. All the factors that make slesson more positive.

Cowley manages to to do all this in a practical fashion with numerous examples of different real life situations.

It's written in such a easy to follow fashion that it ends up being more helpful than anyother educational book (excluding Bill Rogers) or LEA confrence you'll ever read or attend.

You may not want to do things 100% as Sue Cowley susgests, but there is ample material with lots of different ideas that do work so you can remix them into your own personnal style.

An excellent tool for any teacher who wants sensible advice on improving their classroom management. Advice that actually helps.

I should add that the only negative review on this book is by somebody who hasn't actually tried out the techniques given out. They just complain about it repeating itself in different ways. They have unfortuantly missed the point that being able to repeat things in different ways or use different techniques of saying the same thing in different situations is one of the most important skills a good teacher requires.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review Getting the Buggers to Behave, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: Getting the Buggers to Behave (Paperback)
I was a bit disappointed by this book as I expected there to be a lot of innovative ideas of how to help learners behave better in the classroom. One of the suggestions was for the tutor to stand in the bin in the middle of the classroom which surprised me. The book is sectioned into various age groups so that you can go to the specific area that you teach, I think a book specific to primary, secondary or further education may give more scope to look at methods. As a tutor I think that if the learners are misbehaving it is partly because they are not challenged and/or are bored and so I wanted ideas for things that make them think, so perhaps should have bought the "Getting the Buggers to think" book instead. It did give some techniques on behaviour but I felt they were not suitable for the environment that I teach in (FE). The book appeared to have an autocratic style to it, in regard to how a teacher behaves, and I would like to see something that shows the changing face of education.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff!, 22 Feb 2009
A. Newth - See all my reviews
I'm doing a PGCE and I've found this title absolutely brilliant for ideas on behaviour management. It's a really good easy read, and the only one I've felt like reading from cover to cover.

ARRAY(0xa0dd3108)

Getting the Buggers to Behave
Getting the Buggers to Behave by Sue Cowley (Paperback - 19 Aug 2010)
14.00