5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic and motivating
Published on 26 Aug. 2011 by angelina

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for NQTs
I bought this book hoping that it would give me extra support or ideas to become consistently outstanding. Unfortunately there was nothing I could learn from this book that I didn't already know. I know WHAT needs to be demonstrated, but was hoping for tips on HOW to demonstrate it - especially with my diverse range of pupils!

Although the book wasn't of use to...
Published on 18 Oct. 2011 by EW

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic and motivating, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: How to Be an Outstanding Primary School Teacher (Outstanding Teaching) (Paperback)
I have been feeling very jaded and unenthusiastic about teaching just recently. This book has really fired my imagination and has encouraged me to really reflect on my teaching. It has great practical advice, in a straightforward and clear manner, giving details and information that one would like to know but are too afraid to ask in school in case you are considered an inadequate teacher!

I will be implementing many of the strategies and ideas discussed in this great book. It is a must for every teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all primary teachers and students, 21 May 2011
I bought this for my daughter in her 2nd year as a student primary teacher. She has found the book an invaluable asset for her course and her placements. When on placement the teachers at the schools have ordered copies for themselves. A highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-patronising advice for teachers, 26 Mar. 2013
A really clear and common sense approach makes this book great to keep handy when planning. Especially useful with the ever increasing demands of Ofsted!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 20 May 2013
I haven't finished it yet, but have been changing my planning as I read. I've also been highlighting key bits I want to use in the future (I know you shouldn't draw in books) some of the ideas do need adapting for my reception class, but not too much. Fingers crossed this will really help in my class and the school

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an easy read and with quite a few jokes, 2 July 2014
I read this book cover-to-cover. It's an easy read and with quite a few jokes!

I'm an NQT and mostly, I feel that Dunn reinforces concepts I had already heard of whilst on placements/in my training and how important they are. Also, quite a few of the ideas he shares I had thought of by myself - so on the one hand, it is not hugely innovative but it is helping my self-esteem and confirming that I'm at least on the right path!

Some of the ideas I hadn't heard of before, or had seen a slight variation of, and some had just never occurred to me - like grouping children based on their initial self-assessment of their understanding.

It's made clear throughout the book that this is a guide and the ideas can be picked up or thrown away with ease but that what really makes an outstanding teacher is the awareness of yourself as a teacher and the children in your class. So you can't just adopt one of his ideas and come out with outstandings across the board.

A great little book which I'll refer back to throughout my career, I'm sure. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding book- not just for teachers but HLTA's too., 26 Mar. 2013
I bought the book as a HLTA who teaches whole classes on a regular basis, the aim being to be a outstanding HLTA. Ok- so many of the strategies in the book are common sense and sound in the way of advice, but there are still lots of thought provoking tips and lot's of advice that you might not have come across.

it's a quick easy read- and could be read from cover to cover, or could be dipped in and out of as the book is split into clearly labelled sections.I read the entire book in little over a day and picked up lots of ideas that i can't wait to go try.

Well worth the money- i'm sure i'll use the book over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 2 Jan. 2014
An excellent book which gets you to think about your own practice and how you can go the extra mile quite easily .

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read!, 22 Aug. 2013
I am an experienced primary teacher of twelve years, and found this book a huge incentive to give my current practice a shake and examination. It is well worth a read for old, New, young, old alike!! It is focused on ofsted, which is not completely relevant as I teach in Wales, but estyn look for similar things! An ideal book if you want to make a difference and step out of your comfort zone and do the best for your pupils.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little book!, 3 Jun. 2013
I normally wouldn't give 5* out so easily, but this book is really great! Small and compact with some really good ideas on how to make your classroom a better learning environment and how to be a better teacher overall. Really down to earth read, and some really funny bits to it. Am a PGCE student and would love to be outstanding and that's why I bought it. Going to try it out on my class very soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book with unusual ideas!, 14 April 2015
I highly recommend this book for any trainee primary school teachers or even teachers in their first few years of teaching who are looking to improve their lessons and really make that difference to the children's development and progress. It has lots of useful ideas which I hadn't even thought of and I am very eager to try them out in the classroom!

How to Be an Outstanding Primary School Teacher (Outstanding Teaching)
Used & New from: £7.81