Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 July 2014
I'm already an experienced professional artist, and wanted to add plein air painting to my repertoire of skills. After looking at several books to help me get started I decided I liked the look of this one, and I haven't been disappointed. The book is amply illustrated with the author's watercolours and oil paintings, and he speaks eloquently about the composition, technique, and the reasons why he chose to paint each one. I would have liked to see a few more step-by-step processes, but aside from that I've learned a lot and found the book immensely inspiring - almost as good as going out to paint on location with David Curtis himself!
on 26 June 2013
As ever an excellent book with many examples of the artists work, and an exercise for the budding artist to wrk through
on 28 June 2013
There are't too many "can't put it down" reference books but this is exceptional.
From when I unpacked it I read it non-stop for hours.
I have followed David Curtiss"s books for years now for their practical approach
but their only drawback has been the wordy complicated text.
This is book is ably translated into simple, flowing, very practical ideas making
it much more approachable with easy explanations of any jargon.
The next thing I did was to get some stuff together and go out and paint immediately
it was that inspiring. My conclusion is read it and get out in the fresh air!
on 30 May 2014
A good book full of useful tips for the outdoor painter. Some choice locations and brilliant paint handling. David can really draw and this is the key to his success, that and subtle paint handling. S'all good.
on 21 January 2014
This is another great book by a great artist, it is as usual clear and informative and has many of his wonderful paintings represented in full colour.
on 20 April 2014
I bought this book after a quick browse at mt art class and felt it was a must have reference,although we'll well beyond my capabilities it is great
on 18 October 2015
It's inspiring and revieling. Full of tips and insights into Mr. Curtis's way of seeing and of his technique. There is a wealth of photographs of his work to illustrate the well written text. A good addition to my art library and a good value purchase.
on 28 November 2014
The reproductions in this book are simply beautiful. The text is informative. The two combined are inspiring.
on 8 October 2013
I really enjoy David Curtis' work, and the first half of the book was engaging. However I found myself losing interest in the later stages as the layout was becoming a bit repetitive. Still, a good buy especially for ppl new to the concept and practicalities of plein air painting.
on 11 June 2013
David Curtis books on oil and watercolour painting never fail to please and inspire me. This latest book keeps me focused on all the important aspects of painting.