Format: Paperback|Change

OK, so perhaps this title may be a little extreme but in a world where you have to look out for number one it's a book that helps you prepare in case the world goes to hell in a hand basket. Whilst some of the advice in this title isn't pertinent to those living in the UK (for example owning a firearm) the book really helps give the reader some serious advice on how to make a bag to the best of your ability (and in this case your wallet) so that you can carry enough to keep you going for 72 hours.

Personally whilst I won't be making it as a Bug Out Bag, I do like to make sure that I'm prepared for hiking in case things go bad. After all you never know when you might have a fall, when you may end up reading your map wrong and find yourself out on the fells overnight or if you come across someone else who's had an accident.

This title by Creek Stewart helped me make sure that I had a number of fire lighting sources, the ability to make a hot meal as well as having communications in case I need to make that emergency call. It also allows me to have a medical kit that will pretty much cover me for basics as well as giving the user the chance to check that they're as prepared as they think they are. One addition that I would add to the kit that Creek hasn't is a one serving bottle of either brandy or whiskey. It can be used as a steriliser for stitches as well as an emergency fire starter.
on 21 June 2013
This book is aimed at people who would travel from home to a bug out location in the event of emergency, allowing 72 hours to get "one tank of gas" away from conurbations (around 80 miles in the states?) to a prearranged hideaway. In reality most would find this hard in the UK, probably having to stay at home or rough it up the woods. I was getting seduced by all the fancy survival gear on the net and he's right, it would be expensive to put this kit together as is. A few trips to the car boot sale and some lateral thinking can reduce this a lot! Overall much of the contents comes under common sense and you work it to fit your own situation and pocket. Aimed at the US market but has some useful reminders and suggestions, after all we're only 3 square meals away from barbarism!
on 23 May 2014
I found Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag okay but there is almost too many lists containing items that you will not have because you cannot carry everything that is in this book. A much better resource is Realistic Bug Out Bag by Max Cooper. It is the best book on the topic that I have read. Realistic Bug Out Bag is full of useful and insightful information that will really get you to think about your bug out bag.
on 30 April 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book and I found it very informative.
It's an easy read, with everything explained clearly. The checklists in the back are worth the price of the book in themselves, they remind you of all the little extras that don't immediately spring to mind.
I like the helpful buying advice in each section as well.
All in all a great book, I'd recommend to anyone interested in being prepared, this is a good starting point and guide.
on 20 May 2013
Although this book is written for the American market, so there are references and products that overseas readers may not get, this seems like a very thorough and sensible. I'm certainly not any kind of expert on the topics covered but to a layperson like me, it seems that Creek has really thought about and tried out the things he describes.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to plan for a bug out but also for anyone wondering into the wilderness on camping or hiking trips as there are good tips and lots of common sense.

I live on a tiny island (Guernsey) so it's unlikely that I would ever have to 'bug-out' and we really don't have any wilderness but I found it fascinating (I've read it twice so far) and it is good to get thinking about different aspects of it, so that you consider your particular needs and plan accordingly. I consider my wilderness / survival type things my 'toys' to use when hiking or camping but have put together a plan & bag in case I wake up in the middle of the night & find my house on fire!

A good read, with great advice from a man who seems like he knows, very readable and with humour added for free!
on 21 June 2014
This book gives clear concise advice on what you need in your bug out bag. However the book is also loaded with great tips and advice from someone who has obviously used the gear he discusses...a lot!

Well written, easy to read and informative!
on 18 December 2013
A good book for putting together a rucksack, you don't need to be a survivalist to read this just a common sense methodical approach to what you intend to do and what you may need, useful check lists are provided to consider.
on 16 December 2013
Highly recommended for the outdoor enthusiast. Was actually hoping it would be a bit smaller in size to make it more manageable in my bag so 4 stars
on 8 March 2013
Well what can I say from the 1st page till the last it's an interesting book, unlike some B.O.B books that are just full of doom n gloom,
This has some interesting pointers inside and also very Knowledgable,
on 21 April 2013
Very well written and laid out. It concentrated on the essentials and, unusually, actually gave sources of where to obtain the hardware. Overall instructive and a very good read.