5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for ALL levels!
I have gotten many "how to draw manga" books in the past and this is by far the best one of them all. Let me tell you why!

Published on 1 Aug. 2012 by Jeremie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but there is better out there
I picked this up as I wanted to start learning how to draw Manga and had read the Brody’s Ghost series by the author. As the artwork was amazing in Brody’s Ghost I thought there would be something similar in the book but it’s more aimed at the cuter side of Manga. If this is what you’re looking for I’m sure you will be delighted with the book...
Published 14 months ago by Family Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for ALL levels!, 1 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Mastering Manga with Mark Crilley: 30 Drawing Lessons from the Creator of Akiko (Paperback)

Most how to draw books have many pages that the author is just waffling taking about all the technical stuff (which is sometimes good but most people would like to get along with drawing!) And every single page of this book is useful and it is just ram packed with stuff look amazing! Colored pages, step by step guides for beginners and reference pages for the more advanced levels. Let me give you an example...
Theres a section of the book that is titled "101 Manga Eyes"... Its self explanetory! Mark Crilley has fit onto four pages 101 diverse manga eyes including cartoony manga and realistic manga with annotations

Mark Crilley is very aware that there is more then one style of manga, so he tries to fit in different styles into the book so that everyone can benefit from this

I recommend this book to BEGINNERS, ADEPT and ADVANCED levels... EVERYONE will benefit from this... a MUST buy!

If you don't know who Mark Crilley is and how great he is at teaching Manga, YouTube him! He's VERY popular and has written novels such as Brody's Ghost, Akiko and Mikki Falls.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 15 Feb. 2012
This book is probably the best mange tutorial book i have ever read. its simple to understand. basic enough for younger people to use. and its got detailed step-by-step guides on how to draw; eyes, faces, babys, toddlers, children, teenagers, young adults, middle-aged adults and even old adults. i orded this book on the 6th of feb and im slowly working my way through all the tutorials step-by-step. what i end up doing is copying the first tutorial very closely then re-drawing it again but using my own style, different eyes, hair styles etc. so far i am very impressed with this book and is my auntie, the other day i went around to my grandma's house. packed with my sketch pad, pens, pencils etc, sat down and started drawing. then my cousins came over and wanted to have a go too, later that night i received a phone call from my auntie saying that my cousins where still sat at home drawing at about 10pm at night xD.

anyway. back to the book.... what separates this book from other how-to drawing books is the fact that this is a real step-by-step book. in other books i have read, they show you how to do the face fine (eyes, ears, jaw, mouth etc) but then have a massive jump to the completed image with hair and all. what this book does it tells you to do rough guidelines for things like hair and creases, then to go over them later adding more detail and connecting lines.

if you are interested in drawing manga and cartoony characters then this book is for you, if possible you should download the preview if you can but i can guaranty that you will not be disappointed and will end up buying this book anyway

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed In-depth Guide and Well Worth the Money, 7 April 2013
I've only been a fan of Marks for a month but I can honestly say I will be a fan for a lot longer than that........here's why

It began with how to draw manga on Google, a fairly broad search I admit but its what I've wanted to do for so long. I came across some drawing techniques including shading and colouring and was just fascinated with how detailed and professional it all looked then I stumbled onto a web page giving you access to free video tutorials on this Topic. If you are a complete novice or already consider yourself a Manga Artist it doesn't hurt to give this How to guide a try. For such a small amount of pages (Weighing in at only 128 pages ) the 30 lessons Mark teaches you in this guide is nothing short of In-depth, from the beginning of the book he as you drawing your own characters almost immediately. from eye design to head, body, hair clothing and onto Scenery he covers the Manga Topic well..... I cant wait to see what he delivers next.
Bottom line Check it out on the sample pages to see what I'm blabbering on about!!

^_^

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level guide on how to draw manga., 4 Dec. 2013
This is a great first purchase if you want to develop your manga style further.
Mark Crilley's style leans more to the realistic side but there's a couple of pages of chibi figures to address the balance ;)
There's no use of sketch skeletons instead a few parallel guide lines are used to keep the proportions in check. It's a good method when drawing from source material but can leave you a little lost if you draw more freestyle figures.
A massive plus are the pages of reference material provided such as male and female hairstyle samples and common poses.
Also, this is one of the only 'How to draw' manga books I've encountered that doesn't just give you healthy young adults, included in the range are the elderly and tastefully done fuller figure characters.
Overall a worthwhile purchase :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 19 Jan. 2013
I always had trouble getting proportions right, but this book is amazing and it helped me so much! I would recommend this book to anyone who has trouble with drawing manga or anime, as well as proportions or chibi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 13 Jan. 2014
My daughter, who is Manga-Mad, says it's perfect. I must say it looked very good when I was able to see a few review pages when I looked on Amazon. This is a great feature and gives you an idea of what you are buying. So, to sum up, both my daughter and I can recommend this book to anyone who is interested in developing their Manga drawing techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Feb. 2013
L. Jeffery - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 10year old daughter. She loves it. She draws well and has a good imagination and attention for details and this book, has just given her a whole new way of looking at how to start her drawings...keeps her occupied for hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prodigious, 27 Feb. 2013
Finally a manga book that can actually help me learn to draw better as well as his demo's on youtube this is the best book for anyone who wants to get better at drawing

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 7 Mar. 2014
Okay first off I ordered this on the 3rd and it came on the 7th (this was with free delivery) which was brilliant as I expected it to come the 10th!! When I ripped into the packaging and carefully pulled this book free, opening it to the first page, I nearly screamed I was so happy! Its really good and s the other reviews say, its definitely one of the best books out their for manga drawing! Not only does it have lots of ways to draw eyes and expressions, it goes through each type of style and has lots of ways to draw fighting stances! It also has side view ways of drawing which I am sure will come in handy and it has a section on drawing the background! If you are looking for something that can teach you how to draw manga and more then This. Is. The. Book!

4.0 out of 5 stars just what the grandaughter asked for, 12 Mar. 2013
bought for my grandaughter who does a lot of the manga style drawing, she was very pleased with the book .would recoment to people statring out with this type of drawing

Mastering Manga with Mark Crilley: 30 Drawing Lessons from the Creator of Akiko