5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pastel Book Ever Written.
Published on 14 Sep 2011 by Dawn Treeby

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful paintings.
This book comes with a DVD. I was hoping that the DVD would show the techniques of the artist's paintings, but it is just showing how the artist does his 'underpainting' before he actually begins painting. Not for beginners.
Published 16 months ago by M. J. Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pastel Book Ever Written., 14 Sep 2011
Dawn Treeby "Gizmos Tail" (In a house owned by my cats) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastel Pointers: Top 100 Secrets for Beautiful Paintings (Paperback)
I am a total amateur when it comes to pastel painting, having purchased my first set of pastel pencils a few months ago. While they are an easier medium than most to get to grips with initially, I was still finding it difficult to achieve some of the results I had seen on other paintings. After looking through a few reviews and looking at some of the books you can search through, I decided to purchase this one. It proved to be the best money I have ever spent on an art book.
The author uses plain english to describe what he does, rather than using artistic descriptions which need a look in the dictionary to understand. It is wonderfully descriptive, well laid out, goes in to the right amount of detail (without becoming boreing) and is very easy to follow and read through.
It is also entertaining as well, with little anecdotes occasionally. There are little "tips" everywhere which are succinct, knowlegable and tend to stick in the mind. Also included is a 40 minute DVD which shows the techniques used in working with pastels, even down to how to hold the pastels to get the best results.
I read through the book over 4 nights after work and kept thinking how obvious the things that were written were. I then spent the weekend re-reading some sections and practicing with pastels what he was teaching. I can't believe how much my work improved and how easy to use I now find pastels, simply by using what I learned from this book. If you only purchase 1 book on using pastels, make sure it is this one, you wont regret it.
If there is an award for the best instructual art book this certainly should come out number one. I have been an avid amateur for some 20 years and amassed a collection of over 100 art books, videos and DVD's and this has to be the best instructual book I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pastel Pointers: Top 100 Secrets for Beautiful Paintings, 2 May 2011
This book has more than lived up to expectation. The easy to follow the steps Richard McKinley gives help you to create your own beautiful paintings. The DVD that comes with the book explains in greater detail how to achieve the perfect painting. I would recommend this book to any aspiring pastel painter as well as those more experienced in the art. Beautifully presented with stunning paintings and reasonably priced

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 Mar 2012
S. V. Barker "Lancastrian Reader" (Lancaster UK) - See all my reviews
I can wholeheartedly recommend this book. It elevates the use of pastel as a medium and leaves you intrigued by the subtle hues and effects achievable.Enhanced by the inclusion of a DVD, this book is really excellent value for money, packing in as much information and guidance as you might expect from a term's evening class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book on pastels with DVD at rear of book, 4 Feb 2013
This was the first book on pastels I have personally purchased having borrowed a few from friends which I didn't enjoy. I researched this one thoroughly before purchase and reviews were all very positive.The book is great on process use and takes you from the basics through to quite a sophisticated level. Paintings so far are not bad; certainly far superior to earlier results and I am at last starting to understand the medium more thoroughly than I could have hoped for prior to purchasing this book. There are lots of handy tips too to make it all easier. What more could I ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 9 Dec 2012
As soon as I saw the contents of this I was awe-struck. McKinley's paintings are just like French Impressionism. He explains clearly the processes he goes through to obtain such quality and depth in his work. Well worth studying in detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pastel Painting Tips, 27 Oct 2013
Mr. V. H. Copleston "Victor...." (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Of the very many art instruction books to be had in the market these days, for those who love working with pastels will find this book very handy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for intermediate or advanced pastelists, 27 July 2013
I steered clear of this book for a while, because it looks like a how-to guide for beginners. Though it would be useful for beginners, it's really much more for reasonably experienced pastel artists. The information is condensed and very practical; the illustrations of McKinley's work are inspirational and beautifully detailed. I've learned a great deal from it already. It's become one of my very favourite pastel books, along with Elizabeth Mowry's The Pastelist's Year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful paintings., 24 Feb 2013
M. J. Griffiths "Babushka" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value book, 4 Nov 2011
C. E. Grafton (Mortehoe, Devon) - See all my reviews
This lovely book is a must for all lovers of pastel paintings - easy to read, good tuition and inspiring paintings. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Pastel Painters, 10 July 2014
The first time I have downloaded an art book on Kindle, very good for pastelists, good illustrations, which could be enlarged for closer viewing nicely on the Kindle

Pastel Pointers: Top 100 Secrets for Beautiful Paintings
Pastel Pointers: Top 100 Secrets for Beautiful Paintings by Richard McKinley (Paperback - 17 Dec 2010)
13.38