5.0 out of 5 stars Fab & Fun
I may not be a beginner dressmaker, but I have found this book both useful and a pleasure to read. I tend to pick up lots of sewing guides and the like and still the Colette Sewing Handbook has what others are missing:

Published on 28 Dec 2011 by Clare Sager

1.0 out of 5 stars wouldn't recommend
Really disappointed in this book. Maybe my expectations were too high as I've always heard really good things about Colette sewing patterns but this book disappointed. Really nicely laid out and spiral bound so well made but the content was just dull! I would only recommend this book to a very early beginner. It goes into a lot of detail about the techniques but there are...
Published 1 month ago by Jen42

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab & Fun, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Colette Sewing Handbook: 5 Fundamentals for a Great Sewing Experience (Hardcover-spiral)

* A focus on dressmaking. Many sewing introduction books are more generic, so they might show you how to make a cushion, but they don't necessarily explain how to set in a sleeve. Sarai Mitnick shows you exactly how.

* Clothing patterns that are actually stylish, unique and that you'd actually want to make and wear. But if you know about Colette Patterns, then you'll expect this already. I'd recommend having a look at the five different patterns and checking out what other stitchers have made online to get some inspiration and an idea of whether you would make these designs.

* A discussion not only of how to make items, but how to decide what to make to suit you. I've seen this in books on style and buying clothes from the likes of Gok and Trinny and Susannah, but this is the first time I've seen this kind of advice in a sewing book. And it's blooming important! If you're going to spend hours of your time (not to mention your hard-earned cash on fabric and supplies) on an item of clothing, it's pretty disheartening to find that it doesn't suit you (I speak from experience!) or that it simply doesn't suit your lifestyle. Again, Mitnick comes up trumps with some friendly pointers to set you off in the right direction.

Some of the other things I love about this book: it sits flat when it's open, so you can refer to it while sewing; Sarai Mitnick's tone in writing is encouraging and conversational, without being in your face with fake, over the top enthusiasm and exclamations; it is very pretty, which makes it an utter pleasure to read through and dip into. There are many other things I could mention, I'm sure, but I'll let you discover these for yourself. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, shame about unit conversions, 15 Feb 2014
This is a lovely book and, whilst I've only just started reading it, it covers all the basics and more in a lovely, calm manner.

The problem is the conversion from inches to centimeters - in one section 1/8" is 30cm and another 24" is 6.6cm. In this day and age converting from one to another should be simple and accurate. It's jarring for someone used to converting but if you're a sewing novice and reliant on the instructions it could be misleading and add frustration where it isn't needed. Material specs seem to be ok, but I'll be triple checking everything from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Dec 2011
I have waited for this book to come out since reading about it on the Colette Patterns blog page. It is a well put together book fullfilling a really good spot in the market. Full of work as you learn projects for the hands on student. If the styles in the book don't appeal they are simple enough to be altered to suit different needs. A super gift for any would be seamstress out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant easy to use guide, 17 Jun 2012
I love this book to bits and thoroughly recommend it. I bought it to follow on from a beginners sewing class as I wanted to make my own clothes. This book guides you through all the things you need to know to make a good start on dressmaking: planning, patterns, fit, fabric and finishing skills. There are five patterns included with the book, which considering that Colette patterns are over £10 each represents a great saving. The patterns are for a skirt, three dresses and a top, each designed to teach you skills taught in the book. Unlike a lot of sewing books these patterns are really wearable and if you search the blogosphere there are lots of people out there who have made them. In a couple of weeks of ownership I have already made the skirt and am halfway through the first dress.

In time and with experience I expect there will be more books out there that will help further - more coture techniques or even more information on pattern fitting. For now though I'm really pleased to have a good handbook and five projects that I can turn into something lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value in every sense, 14 Jan 2012
In economic terms alone, the purchase of this book is a no-brainer. Colette patterns retail for US $18. But I agree with all the other reviewers that there is plenty more besides, and I believe that whatever your skill level you can learn something, be inspired, and become more creative in your approach to sewing through this book. It doesn't claim to be a comprehensive manual, but there seems to be enough here for a beginner to get started and make progress. And in case you are thinking from the cover that it might just be a designer putting a stylish pretty pastel gloss on the tired fromula of 'learn to sew with a few basic designs', no no and no. I particularly like the emphahsis on adaptation of patterns and fitting as an essential part of dressmaking, alongside the sewing techniques - so often writers concentrate on one or the other. So, if you weren't lucky enough to receive this at Christmas, treat yourself now, and kickstart your 2012 self-sewn wardrobe!
Note the included patterns are sized rather differently from the big commercial pattern companies. The bust sizes are 33in to 46in, drafted with a C cup. They are on thin pattern tissue paper, and tracing off is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely sewing tutor, 7 Oct 2012
Lovely book debated about buying but glad I did. Good illustrations and instructions.Patterns included to encourage you to use skills. Looking forward to chance to make dress, in the meantime makes nice bedtime reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 7 Oct 2012
I really like this book, have yet to try any patterns but am really enjoying the wealth of knowledge on topics such as fabric and fitting. Really useful book can be pulled out and read as a reference book for sewing any dressmaking project.

4.0 out of 5 stars A text and a project book at the same time, 20 Sep 2012
I bought this book because of my thirst to learn more sewing skills. It's a text and a project book at the same time, which is quite valuable for a learner. The techniques are explained thoroughly, with plenty of photos and illustrations and you have the opportunity to try them all out on the five patterns included. It covers all the basic stuff like zippers, setting in sleeves and more in depth sewing concepts like pattern alterations. You could easily improve your sewing skills just with just this book.

Despite the author being a pattern designer I don't think the strength of the book is in the patterns. They are printed in manila paper, like commercial patterns, but I've had a hard time using them because some of the lines were faded or too close and I couldn't trace them. I also had to make quite a few alterations to the two garments I made, more than I usually make on other patterns (which it really is not a big deal because you have all the tutorials for a perfect fit within the book)

Although I could live without the patterns, in terms of sewing techniques I have learnt to make things better by reading this book, and I refer to it when I'm stuck on a lining or on a stubborn zipper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I wanted from my next sewing book is here, 24 Mar 2012
Unlike so many other books that try to be all things to all people, this book knows what it wants to achieve and focusses on that, recommending other books for areas not covered in detail.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I have been sewing for 25 years and wanted to go back to basics and relearn techniques as I've got into bad habits and corner cutting recently. This book is perfect for this. I have been sitting reading it on the bus, which is the first time I've actually read any of the 'extra' bits in a sewing book, and they weren't just there for padding. I've picked up lots of good ideas already which have helped with my current project.

I love the idea of working through 5 patterns to focus on a different technique each time, and especially love that it's all about the fit, so the patterns are quite simple, to encourage you to spend time on getting it right and doing it well.

Even better, I seem to have enough fabric in my stash to make most of them without any more trips to the shops...

A couple of typos, which I hope will be ironed out in the second printing, which is already going ahead, but nothing that affects understanding.

Written by a professional sewer, rather than a fashion student who makes everything on a dummy then has to try to size it up, as per my last purchase, this has consistent, generous sizing and intelligent shaping.

A fabulous website with blog, forums and tips, which expand the whole experience, provide even more info and a chance to see how other people have got on with the same patterns.

It's fun, but not too quirky and never patronising- there is serious sewing in here, but never stuffy or lecturing. It's all I can do not to hug it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellant find!, 21 Dec 2011
trishthedish (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Found this book by accident and loved it! I am not young and not an inexperienced sewer, although not made garments for about 15 years. Prior to that had about 35 years under my belt of making own clothes (had sewing machine age 5) and professionals in the family. Having inherited a collection of dress fabrics from the 1960s just recently, nearly sold them on ebay, but after seeing this book, will have a go at making some clothes again. I am now a professional textile designer and tutor with an MA in the subject, so going back to my roots somewhat here! Have seen a resurgance in dressmaking of late, amongst younger women new to the subject of course. We older ones moved away from it as clothes became cheaper and more widely available and sewing was devalued as an activity (this echoes baking too).

The new generation have taken it up, but many of the books I've seen have been a bit patronising or you felt not addressed to you, if you were over 35! I loved the tone of this book, encouraging whilst teaching you the solid basics. It refers you to other books well worth reading, and yes, this is the way I did it originally, working from patterns, but finding out other ways of doing things from books, articles and so on too, growing in the process. The opening page for me was a winner too, that statement about making something meaningful, getting away from cheap disposable fashion and (going back to) finding the value in things. Some good advice about choosing styles to suit and make the best of you personally, often overlooked in the scamble to mimac the latest celeb (who may not have your shape or colouring at all). Couldn't recommend this highly enough, for a beginner or someone going back to dressmaking - you will be reinvigorated, believe me, by this brillant book.

The Colette Sewing Handbook: 5 Fundamentals for a Great Sewing Experience
The Colette Sewing Handbook: 5 Fundamentals for a Great Sewing Experience by Sarai Mitnick (Hardcover-spiral - 25 Nov 2011)