5.0 out of 5 stars A brutally honest account of the struggle with Bipolar, 27 April 2009
Janice Holt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bipolar1: A Psychotic Experience (Paperback)
Like so many people I have very little understanding of mental illness. I tend to categorise people with mental health problems as either "stressed", "depressed" or having "had a breakdown".

Reading this book has given me a much greater insight into a real life situation, and more importantly, how challenging it can be to get back on track in these circumstances.

The book gives an extremely honest account of some very difficult times. Whilst reading it I was hit by the realisation that this could happen to any of us, suddenly, at any time.

At the same time, it is an engaging read - you want to know "what happens next" all the way through it, and I was also entertained - I know that wasn't the primary intention and I hope I'm not wrong to feel that way - but it is a really good read.

If you want to understand better what it is like to be in the shoes of somebody with mental health issues - read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different world..., 2 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Bipolar1: A Psychotic Experience (Paperback)
This is an incredible journey through one man's mind viewed through his own eyes.

The foreword makes the point that most people who suffer psychotic episodes struggle to remember them. Fortunately for us, the author of this book remembers such incidents vividly.

Sometimes funny, sometimes scary, but always honest and always surprising.

Most of us trust our mind to function normally, but if you want to know what it feels like when your mind starts to distort your view of reality, ready this book.

It's a journey that takes you into a different world.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in this subject area.

Bipolar1: A Psychotic Experience
Bipolar1: A Psychotic Experience by Kevin Rowan (Paperback - 17 Dec. 2008)