5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting

Published 4 months ago by jen

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 27 Jan 2005
Nick C (Middleton, Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This has to be one of the most wonderful books that I have ever read. I first read it when I was about 7 years old and have re-read the tale over and over again. I gave my older sister her original copy back some years ago and found myself wanting to read the story again within just a few weeks so ended up buying my own copy. Strange that this would be the first time that I actually owned my own copy of a book that means so much to me.

Anyway it is simply an enchanting read for the very young to the young at heart. The book deals with a few ocassionally misplaced values these days, kindness, wrong and right but is never ever preachy. It's a fairy tale and all the best have values to convey, and like all the best there is a smattering of the macabre/evil and a great deal of magic. It has a real haunting feel and if you have any soul at all then the story will stay with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was transported back in time, 2 Jun 2011
It is now much more than fifty years since I first read 'The King of the Golden River'. The copy I read was in a volume of works by John Ruskin which my mother won as a school prize in 1923. I would sit curled up in a huge winged arm chair, entranced not only by the story and illustrations but also by the soft paper which felt so old! I had not thought about this story for such a long time, when suddenly (in 2001) like a voice from the past, it came into my mind. I searched your web site and found to my joy that it was still in print. I was so excited and told my husband about my find. He then ordered a copy from you for my birthday at the beginning of June. When I opened the book I can't really describe my feelings when I saw again those wonderful illustrations by Richard Doyle which had thrilled and enthralled me all those years ago. I could hardly wait to 'get away' from everybody else in the house with my treasure. The opening descriptions of the Golden River and Treasure Valley conjured up such pictures in my mind. Gluck's first meeting with the King of the Golden River was wonderful and 'wet' with humour. The subsequent adventures of Schwartz, Hans and Gluck were just as I remembered them, though now I saw more subtle humour. The essay on its writing and publishing which followed was well worth reading. I had not realised that it has remained in print for so long, or that it has been translated into so many languages. My sister has renewed her acquaintance with the story (which sometimes we had read together as children) and my daughter has been introduced to it now. Thank you for bringing back so many happy memories, I hope that many more people will enjoy 'The King of the Golden River' as much as I did when I was quite a young girl and as I do again now that I a grandmother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, 14 Nov 2013
Read this book when I was young in the 1950's it was my father's copy, who read this in the 1920's when he was young so it had the original drawings in it. I went back to this story time and time again knowing each time I would love it. I have bought this copy for my 11 year old grandaughter as I m sure that she will enjoy this story as much as I did, Pity no pictures but not a problem. Copy is lovely

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 July 2014
Good old fashioned fairy tale

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for today's kids?, 23 Nov 2012
This is a children's story. I am not sure today's kids would really relate to it, but what do I know - I would have said the same thing about Tolkien's work. A standard type of fairy story, with the obligatory moral message. I read this out of curiosity, just to see what kind of children's story Ruskin would have written.

King of the Golden River (Classic Reprint)
King of the Golden River (Classic Reprint) by John Ruskin (Paperback - 6 July 2012)