5.0 out of 5 stars Original and engaging
This book really surprised me. Entirely gripping, well written and original. Mixes the world of fairy tales with modern day fantasy. It's a love story, a coming of age tale, and an epic novel. The end leaves the reader with many questions left unanswered, and that in part is the power of this book. As you read, you are always seeking to know more, to understand who Kvote...
Published on 29 Mar 2010 by Harry Vaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Print too small to read comfortably.......
Book arrived on time, good condition, etc but I was dismayed when I opened it, as I vcould not read the print with out a magnifying glass. My eyesight is quite good, and I wear varifocal glasses, and generally only encounter problems with the phone book or small instructions. An average of 18 words per line is TOO small. I now read it on Kindle; more expensive, but you...
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch fantasy, 16 Feb 2011
If your a fan of fantasy and/or a great book, then this is definatly for you. This book is a beautifully written, cant put down, origonal novel that id be happy to say is now my favourate book of all time. Fantastic stuff! Cant wait for the sequel :)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Name of the Wind, 15 Nov 2010
I bought this book for a present for a 17 yr old. I had bought it for myself a few weeks earlier and thought they would enjoy as they also like fantasy. have not read this book as yet so cannot comment any further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy debut for Patrick, 15 Nov 2009
I'm an avid reader of 'hard' science fiction, and have given the fantasy genre a wide bearth since adolescence, thinking it a largely silly genre, aimed purely at adolescents and the sort of software geeks who never manage to leave home. Well this book has proved me wrong. It has no silly cliches, is very well written and has compelling charecterisations. The only really bad thing about the book is having to wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 May 2008
Steven Haley "MultiPie Ltd" (England) - See all my reviews
I received this book a week ago, and almost could not put it down until I finished it. Great read all round.

1.0 out of 5 stars painful, 23 Jun 2014
Can't bring myself to read the next instalment. There were interesting elements but I found it excruciatingly slow going and the love story just annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heed the warnings, 5 May 2008
Jeff "roadrunner" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A number of these reviews, although glowing, refer to a number of weaknesses. It's too long [poorly edited?];first person narrative is one dimensional. Sadly, I ignored them and bought the book. Mistake. By page 80 I was wondering what was for tea; by 100 I was planning my holidays; by 100 I was nodding off. I then skip-read to 200 to see if I was going to miss anything. Er, no. It is so, so slow. Takes forever to get - well, nowhere really. Plenty of other super-long fantasy novels out there but with most, you're well into the plot early on. I don't mind waiting if I feel we're going somewhere worthwhile but I just didn't feel that here. If you like song of ice and fire or Joe Abercrombie, I doubt youd like this one. Sorry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time, 1 May 2012
Originally I wrote a glowing review for this book and I've left the 4 star rating as it was because it is a great novel. But I've since had to change the content of this review, having tried to read the next book in the series. Seen with some persepective The Name of the Wind is a waste of time.

It is very well written for the most part, save some pretentious prose every now and then. I was fascinated by the world Rothfuss created and the struggles of the young protagonist. That there was no real dramatic structure somehow didn't matter. The story was so compelling that it worked. And so, I was really looking forward to the next book in the series.

I've just read half of the 1100 page second book and had to delete it from my e-reader. Again there is no dramatic narrative, but this time it matters. It was such a useless story that I couldn't bear to read it. What had seemed such an intriguing fantasy world is revealed to be a load of indulgent nonsense.

If you read The Name of the Wind you will likely really want to read the next book. But the terrible second book turns the great read of this first book into a complete waste of time. So I advise you to read neither. Don't let yourself get started on this rubbish fictional world. Save yourself 100 hours of your life. With hindsight it is not a worthwhile series of books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but..........., 6 Nov 2010
I shall be breif....infact bullet point brief:

1)Great book for the first 100 pages - really sparks your interest about the backround of this character
2)URGHH....NOOOO..CLICHE.. honeslty there were a few of those moments which made me cringe
3)Some awefull description.... **not really a SPOILER but beware**.............. That preist in the pub,,when the guy was telling the story..his reaction was painfully dull.
4)The plot is simplified, the characters are simple, the writnig in parts are simple...
5)May not be targeted to young adults.. but thats the feel i gained from my read..not for the mature...for the feint of heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars bloody good, 2 Jun 2008
excellent...the only crappy thing is that I have to wait a year for number 2 - really really annoying. I normally buy books that have all their sequels published cause i read fast. so i read this in a couple days and now have to wait a year. ug.
but one of the best i've read in the past year...

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 7 April 2008
Book really won me with its so smooth narrative and bright story. Its like oliver stone become rand althor then visit sonea against drenai warriors on westeros :)... nevermind, the book is good .

The Name of the Wind: Day One (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Name of the Wind: Day One (The Kingkiller Chronicle) by Patrick Rothfuss (Library Binding - 8 Oct 2008)
10.10