5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pick up put down book
For first time parents it is an excellent book to guide you through each month. It tells you what to expect each month and what your baby could be doing and should be doing so you can track important milestones. I have to say that when I thought of a question the answer would always be there but not necessarily in the month I was experiencing it. However, as a novice...
Published on 9 Jan 2005 by C. Simpson

2.0 out of 5 stars sorry, I don't like this book
I bought this on the strength of the reviews on this site as I was looking for a book about child development. I do not find the format "useful" and "informative", as other people have said, but jumbled and lacking in any depth or order (the layout appears to promote browsing at random, rather than looking anything up).
I find the question-and-answer format so...
Published on 20 Jan 2003 by Miss K M Johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My bible, 20 Jan 2008
A. Anderson (UK) - See all my reviews
Before my daughter was born I decided that I didn't need a book on what to expect as I'd just go and search for answers on the internet when I needed them. When my Mum found out I didn't have any books on life with a baby she offered to buy me one and I decided that I'd go for this one.

I have found this book awesome! Trying to go on the internet when you have a question or concern about your baby has proved virtually impossible for me as it normally leads to my baby screaming for attention. Within a couple of weeks my husband & I both got a stomach bug and in minutes in the middle of the night I was able to find out that I was ok to carry on breastfeeding..my computer would still have been loading up!

Another positive is that the book has obviously been well researched. The book is laid out with monthly developments covering relevant topics that month such as weaning, colic, bedtime & bathing baby. Virtually every question I can think of has been covered. Its also nice to have the reassurance of a properly endorsed book rather than random advice from the internet.

What could make this book better? I'm quite a visual person so a few more pictures would be good, black and white would be fine but colour even better. Content wise, Ican't think of anything that could be added.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 12 July 2010
i bought this book because i had bought 'what to expect when your expecting' and really got on with it. it has seen me through pregnancy and answered a large amount of my questions, and i really enjoyed the style. i expected this book to be the same, my one stop shop for most of my early parenting questions. i havn't really found it to be as good as that. as with all parenting books, different people have different ways of raising their children and this book covers the authors view.

that sounds like a negative, and really it isn't because this book covers all the basics, it gives you a month by month chapter explaining what is probably happening to your little one is terms of development and answering some of the questions you may have in a simple and clear way. the book also covers some of the concerns or questions you may have before birth eg breast or formula, what to buy, can i cope with parenthood? it also covers basic first aid, tips for coping in hot and cold weather, the low birth weight baby and special needs. it also has a section for mum, what changes are happening in her body, breastfeeding diet etc which was handy to have in one place, and as in the previous book there is a chapter for dads. i is all laid out in a clear, easy to reference way. sadly, as with the previous book there are very few pictures which would have been helpful as clear as he descriptions are it not the same as a well placed picture or diagram.

all in all a good book that is clear and helpful, however i will pick up a couple more books to read about different ways of doing things and to see more practical pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful book with lots of useful information, without being biased, 16 Jan 2007
Pawan (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
What I like about this book is that it gives you all the information without being biased one way or the other. For example, it gives the pros and cons of dummies, and isn't at all "preachy" about one view point being better than the other, unlike many other books which are pushing the author's own agenda and plan for sleeping/feeding/dummies etc.

The information is presented as questions, based on the age of your baby in months. Of all the books I have, this is the one I look at to get comprehensive information and the full picture on any subject or question, from when to use a highchair, through to what to do if I think my baby has a temperature. I've found it invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant guide for the scary first, first year, 15 April 2005
Good, clear explanations of all the strange things that new babies do in the first year; their physical and emotional changes, what they should be doing at the nth month. It made my first, first year less scary, and thats got to be worth 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for first-time mums, 13 Feb 2008
L. Machray "Mrs Mac" (England) - See all my reviews
I have a few 'new mum' books but this one is by far the most useful.

There is a chapter for each month of the first year with 'what to expect' at each stage - e.g. at what age your baby will probably start to hold its head up / smile / sit up etc. Reassuringly the book always makes it clear that your own baby will do everything at its own pace and so not to treat each month's summary as a checklist.

Each chapter then contains lots of Q&A likely to be relevant at each stage. To be honest I didn't read these bits in the month in question but instead referred to them via the index when I had the same questions myself.

The book also has excellent sections on health / common infant ailments and advice on what to do e.g. to treat a fever and when to call the doctor. For a first time mum these pages are priceless!

I liked this book so much that I have now invested in the 'What to Expect - the toddler years' now that my daughter is over 1 year and it is just as good!

Highly recommended - loads of information, not at all preachy, and very reassuring advice throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best of the bunch, 13 Sep 2004
Agree with the review below; the index is useless. The other criticism is that the Best Odds Diet was less useful than for pregnancy - I didn't have a clue about how long to puree what etc, so to compensate I also referred to Annabel Karmel's cook book. However, 'What To Expect's diet gems were what to start with and what to avoid (esp. sugar!) and for how long.
As for the index problem... Initially we would swear and rant at this book while trying to find information on the current 'emergency' of our wailing babe. Eventually, I cottoned on to browsing through the headings up to 3 months ahead every month, so I did get a good idea of 'what to expect'. I also used those tiny coloured post-it note stickers as I was reading so I could quickly check out current issues when needed (anal but so useful!!). I do recommend you swot up on those first three months while still pregnant, and check out the Part Two chapters...
All the sleeping and communication tips were extremely effective, and their advice on building trust is invaluable. Babies are born absolutely innocent and any attempts at (what is perceived as) manipulation are merely testing our responses. Respond to the babe's every whim for the first three months (welcome it to this bizarre world), then start establishing compromises so that us parents can also get back a life - and sleep!! It's hard work, but if you put the graft in initially, it does pay off.
As a parent you are also constantly learning, so don't forget to keep referring to this book AT LEAST every couple of months. All the issues my fellow mums stress about are covered here, and it's a bit exasperating hearing their complaints knowing they have 'What To Expect' but can't be bothered to refer back to it and instead rely on out-of-date opinions from some Grans.
Ultimately, I found this book very reassuring: it backed up common sense with empathy and gave me a weighty slam-down to some of the crap/lazy advice that proliferates. And it's miles better than any of the other baby books I've come across... Top marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book if a little dry, 17 Nov 2007
I bought this book months before my daughter was born and at first glance found it extremely dull. The book goes through your childs life month by month with information that may be relevent at each stage.

It would have been extremely useful to read it in advance (particularly the breastfeeding section - please do this if you are planning to breastfeed. I found breastfeeding very difficult and there really wasn't time to read in the first few days when I needed the info most). I just didn't find the format very enticing while I was pregnant (I found it hard to look that far forward and thought it would be better to read each section at the relevant time). However, I'd urge anyone to read at least the first few months before you child comes along as there is a wealth of information much of which is relevant from the word go.

Each section has details of what your child should be doing which I still refer to now.

A very useful reference book but not a very exciting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy just one baby book, buy this, 23 Oct 2006
This book is essential reading for any new parent. The sections are helpfully divided into each month of your baby's first year, with a format that is easy to understand. I found the 'what your baby should do this month' particularly useful to chart development, and the authors (rightfully so) clearly point out that these are only guidelines, so you don't get too paranoid about what your baby is and isn't doing. The authors present the facts in an unbiased way, and it is fully up to date with current research and parenting theories. This was given as a maternity gift to me by someone else who had read this book, and I likewise bought a copy for another friend, so pleased was I with this book. Useful sections also about first aid and looking after your diet in the postnatal period. Like the book itself says, it really is a parenting book that stands alone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Us-Centric, with duff information., 4 April 2009
Helen (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This book has been badly adapted from a US version, in an attempt to apply to the UK market, and as such contains information that is not applicable to a European/British parent.

For example, the book suggests trawling through 'baby doctors' to find your perfect match, (including such insights as telling you to check out whether the doctor's waiting room has "comforting" and "intriguing" wallpaper!) and there is no mention of midwives or health visitors, which a British mother may find more useful.

Phrases that are unfamiliar to a British parent may confuse, such as "spitting up" (ie: sick) and "onesies" (baby-grows?), and also the book features advice that is considered unsuitable in the UK, such as using baby powder on your child (it may cause choking) and applying alcohol to your baby's umbilical stump.

Obviously, most of the information in the book is well researched and good advice, but I would not recommend it, as there is too much that is contradictory to what is accepted in the UK and the inaccuracies may cause confusion, or even be harmful.

And my favourite (perplexing) advice from the book?
Don't buy your child yellow or green clothing, as babies don't suit these colours.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect reference for new parents, almost!, 6 Jun 2005
By A Customer
I've read a lot of different 'first year' books, all of which have their merits, but this is the only one that I consistently refer back to. The month-by-month chapters always seem to deal with exactly the issues I'm curious about as my baby reaches each new stage; so I tend to read ahead a couple of chapters each month, then flick back through the book when I have a specific problem or question.
The tone of the book is factual, but it also gives great, non-judgmental guidance, advice and, most importantly, reassurance. It is clear that the authors are writing from experience rather than just quoting the latest theory, and I feel it most closely matches my own instincts and values about childcare. The book is also extremely comprehensive - it really does seem to provide an answer to everything you could think of asking (and to lots of things you didn't even realise you might need to know!). My only criticism would be the lack of more creative ideas about weaning. This being the case, I would recommend using it in conjunction with (for example) one of Annabel Karmel's baby and toddler cookbooks.
Other than that, I highly recommend it to all new parents, and I'm sure it will come in handy the second or third time round too. I'm now looking forward to The Toddler Years...

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

What to Expect the First Year
What to Expect the First Year by Sandee E. Hathaway (Library Binding - 4 Oct 2008)