5.0 out of 5 stars I won't spoil the plot for you, but...
Published on 13 May 2004 by Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but can be done without
Try as I might I can't be enthusiastic about any of Pierce's books after the Lioness quartett. Aly is a fairly interesting character, but after a promising beginnning the book lags and lags. It's meant to have a spy theme, but isn't really clever enough. (I know these books are meant for kids, but so is Artemis Fowl) Aly is also supposed to be funny, but not with...
Published on 14 Mar 2007 by Jane A.

5.0 out of 5 stars I won't spoil the plot for you, but..., 13 May 2004
Sarah (Lancaster, England) - See all my reviews
The book was fantastic and hugely enjoyable. At 18 years of age I'm occasionally embarrassed at my continuing enjoyment in fantasy books (especially when displayed in the children's section of book shops) but when I saw a review for this book on the American site by a 13 year old who found this book childish and badly written I felt I must defend Tamora Pierce's honour. I have read all of her books and ordered 'Trickster's Choice' from America after my sister and grandma told me how much they enjoyed the book.
I have to say I couldn't put it down after it arrived and read it at every opportunity, finishing it in the same day. Not only are the characters ones you can identify with but I also loved Alianne's witty sense of humour and the banter between her and Kyprioth, the trickster God. Pierce has not attempted to play happy families and the discord between Aly and her mother makes the book all the more believable; the plot has not been sacrificed for the sake of sentimentality but presents a realistic mother/daughter relationship.
For fans who have read The other Tortall series your curiosity about the other characters will be fulfilled with amusing glimpses into their lives (I loved these, you cant keep the smile off your face) but they don't pull the plot down, Aly is a character who does not need the success of the previous heroines to draw in readers.
Overall I found this book a great read which will always put you in a good mood with its humour and light tone, while tackling issues such as racism and morals. It will suit people of any age (within reason of course), which means the whole family can enjoy. I was disappointed only with the fact that I can't look forward to three more books (Tamora Pierce usually writes quartets) but I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel- if only to find out about Nawat! Go on read it and see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant new title from a fabulous author, 27 Sep 2003
By A Customer
Aly, only daughter of Alanna the lioness and Baron George Cooper wants to be a spy like her father and grandfather, but her whole family seem to be against this.
Ms. Pierce's quality is obvious from the first paragraph, as she throws you head long into the action. The book also contains nods to other well loved characters - particularly Daine and Numair's new born, shape changing baby! If you liked Ms Pierce's other Tortall books, you're going to adore Trickster's Choice - I can't wait for the sequel that comes out next May. One word of warning however - be sure to read ALL the other Tortall novels before you read this, as it contains many plot spoilers, and if you don't no the characters, you may quickly become confused as to their significance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tammy's done it again!, 27 Dec 2004
Mrs. N. L. Gill (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trickster's Choice (Hardcover)
Follow Aly the spy, daughter of the famed Lioness, as she is captured as a slave and taken into unknown territory. Add in the Trickster God, a crow-turned-man, and a wager in which Aly has to keep the two princesses Dove and Sarai alive, and you've got the brilliant new book by the ever-wonderful Tamora Pierce!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pierce - still got it., 10 July 2006
First and foremost may I just write a small response to one of the above reviews (mentioning no names of course and in the nicest way possible) that this is a FANTASY novel. Yes, the heroine is attracted to a "crow-man" but then Aly is a completely different heroine to Pierce's former female protagonists.

Still, the most important thing to say here is that the books are fantastic! I was looking forward to them for so long (and at the age of 18 this it is one of the most embarrassing things - going into bookshops into the children's fantasy section) and I was NOT disappointed. Once again Pierce combines her extensive knowledge of medieval warfare, a witty writing style, subtle amounts of feminism and satisfying links back to her more 'famous' characters to provide us with another enjoyable perspective into the Tortallan world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent book, 19 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Trickster's Choice (Paperback)
Alianne, daughter of the Lioness, Alanna,is floating through life until Kyprioth, the trickster god of the Copper Isles, interferes. After being captured by pirates and sold as a slave, she makes a wager to look after half raka, half luarin royalty. The skills her father taught her come in useful, as she is sent away from court in exile because the eccentric King suffers from paranoia.
I feel while this book is not as great as some of her others, i still think it is a decent book. The plot is quick to start and the characters are intriguing and somewhat entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trickster's Choice, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Trickster's Choice (Hardcover)
All Alianne want to do is be a spy like her father, however her parents don't agree. So, frustrated at them she sails down the coast only to be captured by pirates. She is sold as a slave to the Balitang family as a general worker, and makes a deal with the Trickster God, Kyprioth, if she keeps the Balitang children alive until autumn, he will convince her father to allow her be a spy, however this deal may be harder than it seems. Pierce's books can be a bit hit or miss with me, but this is defiantly a hit. Aly is an interesting character that is feisty yet likeable. This is a really fascinating story with action, humour and romance. I would recommend Trickster's Choice to anyone who likes Tamora Pierce books or good YA fantasy.

4.0 out of 5 stars different but good, 21 Feb 2005
This review is from: Trickster's Choice (Hardcover)
Having (I think) read all of Tamora Pierce's books to date, I have to admit that this was not my favourite - it simply did not appeal to me as much as those of her earlier quartets did (although I think that this was probably largely due to changes in taste). 'Trickster's Choice' (and 'Trickster's Queen,' which I have also read) were both really enjoyable books with, as per usual, a great heroine - plausible and strong without being overtly feministic. It certainly seems that Pierce's writing is becoming more complex and more suitable for older readers, both in terms of content and attention to detail - the explanations of Aly's work as a spy were incredibly detailed. Furthermore, anyone who has read previous books in the Tortall series will love the cameo roles of the older characters, particularly with the obvious link to Alanna. 'Trickster's Choice' and its sequel do not have the feel of sagas as the quartets do, and I suspect that they would not stand alone as well as Pierce's other books might, but are a definite must-read for any fan of this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Jan 2004
Trickster's Choice... Definately another great Tamora Pierce book. It had me laughing, grinning, and smiling (though it may look a bit stupid to do so).
Alianne (Aly) is captured by pirates and made a slave. She is bought by the Balitangs. When she plans to escape, Kyprioth (the trickster god) comes along and lays a wager with her: Keep the Balitang children alive till summer and I'll drop you of home and convince your dad to let you spy. Well, how can Aly refuse such a tempting challenge? Soon the Balitangs are exiled and Aly goes to work, uncovering royal spies, strengtening defences, mapping the grounds etc. She has quite a hard time, but enjoys it thoroughly. The crows also help and we can't say Kyprioth doesn't do his bit.
Aly is very likeable and has a good sense of humor. And did I forget to mention she is being courted by a crow?

4.0 out of 5 stars A plucky heroine, 16 Jun 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trickster's Choice (Paperback)
Tamora Pierce returns to the world of Tortall, in this story about Aly - the teenage daughter of Alanna the Lioness and George Cooper. At the beginning of the novel, Aly is a bored young noblewoman, desperate to take her father's path as a spy but not being allowed to. Her relationship with her mother is fraught, since neither stubborn woman will back down on their ideas about Aly's future. After yet another argument, Aly decides to spend the summer visiting relatives rather than endure her mother's wrath, but ends up being taken by slavers en route. She is shipped to the Copper Isles and purchased by the Balitang family.

While there, Aly is visited by a minor God - Kyprioth, who used to be all-powerful to the raka people of the islands. He offers a wager - if Aly keeps the two eldest daughters of the Balitangs family alive til autumn, Kyprioth will return her to her family and speak to George Cooper on her behalf about becoming a spy.

From there, Aly is plunged into a life fraught with dangers, where the mad royal luarin family have reason to see the Balitangs first driven into exile and then attempt murder. Aly comes to see that Sarai, eldest daughter of the Balitangs, has both luarin and raka royal blood and therefore is destined to bring the people of the Copper Isles together.

Surrounded by interesting characters - such as Nawat Crow - Aly is determined to win her wager...

As is her wont, Pierce has once again given us a sassy and fiercely independent young woman, who is prepared to die out of loyalty to friends and who sees men as no more than a pleasant diversion in the pursuit of duty. Aly manages to overcome her title of slave and becomes integral to the lives of the Balitangs, through straight talking and unquenchable spirit.

My one complaint about Aly - who otherwise is a genuinely likeable young heroine - is that she is almost too clever and resourceful. We are given to understand that she has received training and advice from such illustrious personages as George, Alanna, Daine and Thayet (all characters from Pierce's previous novels about Tortall), but Aly still seems to know the answer to everything.

The book is filled with warm and interesting characters. Pierce is able to give us people and animals that we can take easily to our hearts. By the page-turning climax of the book, we care deeply for the people who have crowded the novel with their lively characters, realistic dialogue and genuine motivations.

Enjoyably, Pierce also writes strongly about divisions between the people of a land because of the colour of skin. She explains sensibly (in the words of Aly) that no one should be prejudiced against because they are the wrong colour. It is excellent that such a widely-regarded author is using her work to encourage racial equality and acceptance of the healthy differences between different people. The raka (black) and luarin (white) have both been responsible for atrocities in the past, and now must learn to live together and become simply the people of the Copper Isles.

I very much enjoyed the little details that Pierce embued this novel with to show a different culture to that of Tortall (which is very much based on feudal Europe). The Copper Isles are shown to be rich with exotic wildlife and landscapes, and the fiery food is very different from that Aly is accustomed to eating.

Happily, it is not essential to have read Pierce's other Tortall novels in order to enjoy this one, so new readers to the world can dive right in - however, it is extremely likely that, after enjoying this book, they will rush out and buy the rest. Readers accustomed to Tortall will both enjoy hearing about characters from previous books and be pleased to see this new plucky heroine take her place amongst them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent-Yet again, 24 May 2010
Interesting mix of characters and another very different but likeable heroine. I liked how we were taken to a different country but still had the 'dreams' that informed the reader of what was happening to all our favourite characters from Pierce's previous books.
I enjoyed how the plot was very different to the Knight training and mage training of the previous books.

I love all Pierces book that are centered around Tortall and its neighbours and wasn't disappointed by this new book or its sequel for that matter.

Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness)
Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness) by Tamora Pierce (Library Binding - 11 Aug 2008)
10.83