1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and refreshingly rational!, 16 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Burial of Jesus: History & Faith (Paperback)
Considering this book is written by a Christian, and I am an agnostic (between atheism and deism), I found this book to be a fine read. I is short, which is great considering my lengthy backlog of books, and is not burdened by footnotes, revelling in its elegant simplicity.

The strength is that the author, as a believer, does not bring to the table, as a historian, any presuppositions. One often sees conservative scholars being forced to find strength in other conservative works because of their presupposed beliefs, as opposed to the strengths of the evidence and arguments proposed.

McGrath, however, deals with evidence in a historical and naturalistic manner - which is all a historian really can do. The evidence, therefore, is dealt with objectively - or as objectively as I have ever seen any Christian. There needs to be more research into the burial and whether it was honourable or not. The evidence would really point to a dishonourable one, and it is thus frustrating that people like William Lane Craig build whole arguments built on fallacious premises that the burial was honourable, or that Joseph of Arimathea was a secret Christian. I embrace the fact that here we have a rational Christian, McGrath, who looks at the evidence, and detaches himself from what he wants it to conclude, and conscludes based upon the plausibility of the evidence, and the methodology of historical approaches. There are also throughly sensible views towards inerrancy and suchlike.

A thoughtful conclusion follows, rounding up a sound book that I raced through in record time. I thoroughly recommend this, especially to those just entering the world of biblical scholarship, as concise synopses of Gospel historicity are given. It has made me visit his blog, and I have parleyed with him on John Loftus' blog, where he has always been rational and logical in his approach to his belief. Good stuff - I wish more Christians were as rational and balanced.

The Burial of Jesus: History & Faith
The Burial of Jesus: History & Faith by James F. McGrath (Paperback - 12 Sep 2008)
7.72