Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 February 2011
Obviously ghost written by someone with no real feel for pro wrestling, hence the references to 'Brett' Hart and Dustin joining 'TNA' in the early 90s. Presumably he meant to say WCW. Rhodes was the son of one of the most successful stars of the era, and competed in WWE and WCW during one of the most exciting and controversial times there has ever been to be a wrestling fan. The book is a missed opportunity to provide some fascinating insights. Most fans who have so much as read Dustin Rhodes's Wikipedia page could have gone away and written a better book than this without having even met the man. A typical lazy WWE book which insults the intelligence of the fans.
on 19 February 2011
I've read just about every bio/autobiography out there by past and present WWE stars and this ranks rock bottom among them by a fair distance. Kudos to the previous reviewer who counted the empty pages and lack of any real substance in this book, I can only echo this. I can't even recommend this to people who love wrestling bio/autobiographies as there's so many better books out there. And if you really are a Goldust fan, you'll know everything and more that's contained in these (not very many) pages anyways.

Pick up Bret Hart or Chris Jericho's first book (A Lions Tale) if you want a decent read.
on 16 February 2011
This is the first time I have been moved to write a review on Amazon, and it is because I am very annoyed that I actually paid money for this book. It is possible to find out more about the life of Dustin Rhodes by reading his Wikipedia page.

The first thing that is annoying is his repetition of the same themes. We hear about thirty times in the first thirty pages, that he had a tough relationship with his Dad, but he loves him, and he loves wrestling. Secondly, I noticed several factual errors - he says he wrestled for TNA in the 90s - before they were even about, and misspells Bret Hart as Brett Hart to name just two. Thirdly, there is so much blank space in the book. I was so let down by how much of the book is not actually writing that I worked out the space that wasn't taken up with actual book - yes, I realise that is sad - and of the 225 pages, 84 of them are blank, or chapter titles or black and white photos. So it is only 141 pages long (double spaced, large writing) hardly enough to tell us much about his life.

So it is fortunate I suppose that Rhodes has no intention of telling us anything about his life. His biggest title win to date is the Intercontinental Championship. We hear about that only when he mentions in passing that he lost it. Whole years are demoted to a paragraph, and there is no interesting insight at all. Towards the end he seems to realise that he has given us nothing, and lists loads of wrestlers and a couple of words on if he liked them. Absolutely pointless.

If you want to read a good wrestling autobiography, then pick up one of the Foley books, or Edge's or Bret(t) Hart's. Don't waste a penny or a second on this one.
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2012
Not normally one to write (or if I'm honest read) reviews for products - however i wish i had before buying this one! This book is woeful - badly written with a distinct lack of information on any subect. I could have written a more detailed bio of Rhodes/Goldust from just watching him on WWE/WCW/TNA for the last 15 years, for all the detail this poor excuse for a book goes into. AVOID!!
on 23 February 2011
honestly, the worst wrestling book i've ever read. very little depth (save time and money and read his wikipedia page) and so many errors (says he wrestled in TNA in the 90s, TNA wasnt formed until 2001). I've actually come away from reading this book with a little less respect for Dustin Rhodes. The book is full of self-praise and the some of the last few pages is just ass-kissing to the big names in WWE. Feels like it was written by a 10 year old in places and doesnt deserve place on your book shelf next to decent books like Flairs, Harts, Jerichos or Regals. The only wrestling book i forced myself to finish.

STAY AWAY!!
on 13 April 2011
Goldust is one of my all-time favourite characters: His pre-debut vignettes were fantastic and he was one of the WWF's most original creations. It's such a shame this book doesn't live up to expectations. It has absolutely no depth and huge portions of Dustin Runnels' career are covered in a couple of sentences. Was Runnels really that much under the influence that he cannot remember the in-depth details of his gimmicks, matches and career in general? Throughout the book, we are reminded time and again that Runnels a) has had a hard relationship with his father and b) has had lengthy addictions to alcohol and drugs. Overall, it makes for depressing reading. Runnels also has the dates and details of certain events all mixed up. For example, he states that in 1997 (around about the time he and then wife and manager Terri Runnels were going to do a sit-down interview with Jim Ross) he burned the Goldust costume much to the dismay of Vince McMahon. This is incorrect: Runnel's burned his Goldust duds on Raw in mid-1998. The WWF product had dramatically changed during that period. How did he get that mixed up? Runnels also comes across as a typical 'born again' WWE-Yes Man: He compliments backstage general Triple H at every opportunity. Runnels recent 'tweets' about WWE not being wrestling anymore but 'pure entertainment' reinforce this: He's another guy happy to be in a job and happy to be in the WWE 'family'. Avoid this: If you're a fan of Dustin Rhodes/Runnels/Goldust, you will be picking holes in the regular factual mistakes. I would go as far as to say it's tainted my fond memories of the Goldust character. Sorry to be so harsh regarding a book about seemingly fragile person like Dustin, but this left me feeling nauseous. Don't bother with this pile of nonsence.
on 27 September 2011
Terribly written....and a boring read. I like Dustin Rhodes but his book sucks. Probably the worst WWE book I've read, and I read the Chyna book.
on 11 May 2016
I really like Goldust and watch him when he wrestles I never knew that much about Goldust I didn't know how crazy he really was and about his life and stardust really should of stayed with him they were good together
on 13 April 2015
Probably he best and honest book I have read to date read it in 6 hours and couldn't put it down
on 16 May 2016
This book really is that bad. Half the pages are blank. The text is double spaced.