5.0 out of 5 stars True tales from the front line

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
ok
Published 5 months ago by M Bowery

5.0 out of 5 stars True tales from the front line, 28 April 2014
I like a memoir and what made this one stick out for me was the vein of authenticity that runs through the narrative. The author went to Afghanistan possibly naively and probably unsure about what to expect. He tells the tale of 12 months of combat in a Harrier, supporting troops on the ground. He deals with over work and exhaustion and operating way outside his comfort zone.

Its easy to identify with the author and his experiences. Fully recommended and one of the best of its genre (that I have read, anyway) IT doesn't try to make a political point - which is to its credit

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Aug. 2013
Just received my copy of this book and already finding it hard to put down.First book I have read about Harriers in afghanistan and its first class. Got my copy from the Tartan Frog and it was here in a couple of days, although a very cheap used version the book is like brand knew , very pleased and will use this seller again .

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare insight into the mind of a hero, 2 Oct. 2013
Having been out myself with the Royal Air Force Harrier Force in Afghanistan, this book gave a similar insight into my experiences out there. People are human and react in a human way. this book gives a valuable insight into the mind of a man battle adversity to do his job to the best of his abilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holiday reading, 12 Mar. 2013
Mrs. G. Bedford "mummybee" (Hastings, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Corps Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan (Hardcover)
Bought this to take on holiday. Had to say for me it was very typically American, kept me reading but I didn't feel that I couldn't put it down. An interesting take on life as a Harrier pilot in Afghanistan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read with one or two issues, but recommended, 1 Sept. 2011
I picked this book up on a whim due to its strong reviews and the fact the AV-8B Harrier was sorely under-appreciated and underrated among today's combat literature. Michael Franzak has had one of the toughest jobs in Afghanistan; a year long deployment flying dangerous combat missions in a plane that had a reputation as the "widow maker", battling inefficient officers, rear echelon senior staff being ignorant, and the unforgiving landscape of Afghanistan.

Franzak's style of writing is deeply evident - it's at the core of this book. He brings the action alive whilst conveying his pain to the reader. He is a very intelligent in writing - there are little mistakes and he strives for accuracy. I found the footnoting particularly noteworthy; he wants everything to be correct. The work is deeply accessible and readable. As an example I read the book in a total of four to five days. I read the last hundred pages in nearly one sitting. The book is split into many different chapters which aids the flow of the work.

However I have one or two issues with the book. It isn't a purely combat memoir, which I was a little disappointed in, in my view, it's more of an overall tale of Franzak's life in Afghanistan. I was expecting constant missions, explanations about the war. This negative is a little issue that actually helped to learn more about him. Another issue was the lack of camaraderie I felt. His Marines were his fellow brothers but we knew very little about them. Character building is essential with some of these books.

Despite these, Franzak gives us an important discussion about the war. The Harriers were understaffed, had no reinforcements, and the facilities at Bagram were not up to standard at times. Also, he gives the reader a new type of warfare for Afghanistan: Harriers and other jets on constant close air support for troops, mainly, special forces. The effectiveness of air power is aptly demonstrated by Franzak's flying as one fly-over without releasing ordinance was a difference maker. We get a worry of Franzak's that, personally haunted me, that Afghanistan became a forgotten war.

This book is recommended due to its easy reading, highly interesting topic, and for providing a narrative on the country and the war. It could go as far as being an academic source book. I'll give it four stars as it isn't perfection but it really is worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 29 April 2011
I am an amateur aviation historian, and read every book on recent history (Iraq, Afghanistan etc).
This is the most realistic, humbling and frank description of modern CAS operations that I have read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 12 Aug. 2014