5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover
I'm a parent of a "globally delayed" daughter and there's much I can relate to in this book. Each globally delayed child has a unique combination of issues that need to be addressed and sometimes these can appear to be overwhelming. This book gives a pretty good picture of the journey of one family from the father's perspective.

Most of the book is written by...
Published 24 months ago by Eddy Grabczewski

1.0 out of 5 stars This isnt completely real
The video that is going round to sell this book has been doctored to sell this book.
Sorry but this is a complete lie. Theres no way that an autistic kid could just go up to a computer and start typing. The idea that a person with profound autism could overcome how her brain works -- but just while typing, not while speaking -- all at once? That she could, without...
Published 16 months ago by MISS B S RICE

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover, 25 Aug 2012

Most of the book is written by Arthur Fleischmann, Carly's father. Only the last but one chapter is actually written by Carly herself - although there are lots of speeches and comments by Carly peppered throughout the second half of this book. Arthur writes like a pro, making the book all the more poignant.

Once started, this book is difficult to put down - with at least one shocking chapter that caught me by surprise. When I was half-finished reading this book I wanted to contact all my own daughter's professional helpers and ask them to read it too. But don't expect much response if you do! It will take time for the message to get passed down.

So, what's the message? To paraphrase Carly: don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because a person looks and behaves wierd doesn't mean that they are. And every one of these people has an unspoken voice that needs to be heard by someone. Each autistic person has something to say, whether you can hear it or not.

Carly has proved this message to the world and given us some unique insights into her own world. It's the duty of every parent, carer, professional and person-in-the-street to take away this message and ponder on it. She is not the first to do so, but Carly and Arthur are the first to document both sides of the story in this unique and emotive book.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazed, 29 Mar 2012
A must read!!

I've read so many autism books on my journey as a parent of children with non-verbal autism, this is the first that comes anywhere near describing what we live with day to day. A truly inspirational story, which reminds you to NEVER give up hope that you will find a way through the sensory issues, behaviours and communication difficulties and discover the unique and special individual behind them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carly Fleichmann Autism, 21 April 2012
Those of you who have any contact with people who are diagnosed with Autism, should read this book, it gives us an insight into how the view/experience the world around them. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 17 Feb 2014
I could not put this book down . I have worked with young people with ASD for over 16 years most of them like Carly non verbal I will always believe they can do it all with the right support . I have talked all of my work colleges to get this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 12 Nov 2012
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Carly's Voice: Breaking Through Autism (Paperback)
There have been many fiction books released that feature an autistic protagonist - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend and just recently Love Anthony. I've read all three and really enjoyed them. Each author has brought their own 'version' of Autism and Autism spectrum to the written page.

But Arthur Fleischmann and his daughter Carly Fleischmann bring more than an imagined protagonist to the written page. Carly's Voice is an absolutely riveting memoir recounted by a father and his autistic daughter.

Arthur and his wife Tammy are overjoyed when they give birth to twin daughters. With son Matthew their family is complete. Taryn meets her milestones and thrives.....but, Carly doesn't. Carly is non verbal and severely autistic. What follows is an exhaustive tale of appointments, diagnoses, therapies, frustrations, and more. (Mom Tammy is fighting cancer as well.) I just could not even begin to fathom what the Fleishmanns went through. Arthur and Tammy are tireless advocates; determined to do whatever they can to help their daughter.

"Carly has autism. Three short words must suffice to explain a tome of weird behaviours and limitations. It's a shorthand for Carly-is-different-she-acts-in-odd-ways-she-loves-taking-off-her-clothes-especially-if-what-she-is-wearing-has-a-spot-of-water-on-it-she-likes repetitive-motion-like-that-of-a-swing-she doesn't speak. We didn't know what Carly knew and what she was incapable of knowing. She made odd movements and sounds and covered her ears when it was noisy. She cried often. And she never, ever stopped moving. Never."

And, in one of those 'what if we hadn't' moments....Carly types...Help Teeth Hurt. Although Carly was able to point to pictures for what she wanted, no one had any idea that she was able to communicate in this fashion. And at last Carly has a voice - she is finally able to 'speak'. But Carly's story doesn't end there - her fight to control her body, her desire to live like any other teenage girl, her family's dedication to helping Carly be the best she can be is an ongoing, uphill battle. And you won't believe the places it's take her....so far.

"What keeps us moving forward? Sometimes its just inertia. But we keep sight of Carly's dream to be accepted. She wants to live life fully, accomplish great things, and not be pitied. She just wants to be understood. What else can we do? We get up in the morning when the alarm goes off. And never accept 'no' or maybe."

I really couldn't put the book down. I was so humbled and inspired by Carly. As I type this up using all of my fingers, I am struck by the image of Carly labouriously typing one letter at a time with one finger while trying to control her body's spasms.

Carly is an inspiration to all, but especially to those who are living with, coping with or touched by autism. For those who haven't got a clue - it's an eye opener. Highly recommended.

"I am an autistic girl but autism doesn't define who I am or how I'm going to live my life." Carly.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Never assume someone who can't speak, has nothing to say", 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Carly's Voice: Breaking Through Autism (Paperback)
Short sharp way to change your view of autism. Really get a feel for what life is like for the flieschmann family. Told openly and honestly by Carly's dad, Arthur. Feelings expressed that a lot of parents would not have admitted publicly. Then comes the breakthrough when we get to know Carly! A 'typical' teenager trapped in an autistic body. I'm just halfway thru the book and it is still largely been narrated by her father, Arthur. Although Carly gives constant input through conversations they've had. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is I am not quite finished yet, and I thought it would of been told more by Carly..maybe it will get there.??

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 11 Jun 2012
E. Stryjska (Christchurch, Cambs. UK) - See all my reviews
We have 7 years old girl diagnosed with autism. Our daughter is also nearly not verbal.

The book gives us a window to her world, and allow us to understand some of the behaviours.
It give us hope we could communicate with her one day, and also gives us bigger motivation to try harder anything which will help her to overcome the symptoms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and inspiring, 7 Aug 2014
This book is a must read. An awe-inspiring story of a girl who has achieved so much against all the odds. The book has educated me in a way I could not have got elsewhere. I now have a thorough and important understanding of what life is like for people with autism and what things I can do to help them achieve their wants, goals and dreams. Most importantly it has educated me on what Autism is, no doubt Carly has described and explained Autism in the best way possible - from Autism itself. Buy the book, read the book and love the book!!! From a happy, optimistic, empathetic reader from Ireland

5.0 out of 5 stars Carly's Voice this is a Voice that will make you ..., 3 July 2014
Carly's Voice this is a Voice that will make you see autism in a new light not to pity but it will teach you to understand. what the person with autism is feeling and going through. I know this will make you cry but you will laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational book, 1 Jun 2014
I work with people who have ASD and this book has given me an inside view to how they see and experience the world. I have found this book a very emotional read and feel I have a better understanding of how to support the people I work with. I would recommend this book to anyone who know someone with ASD or wants to have a better insight to it. Carly is an amazing young girl and I can't wait to read her book !!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Carly's Voice: Breaking Through Autism
Carly's Voice: Breaking Through Autism by Arthur Fleischmann (Paperback - 18 Sep 2012)
9.32