Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 6 August 2010
I'm not a fan of spoilers in reviews so I'll do my best not to add any spoilers myself.

Bring on the night is the 3rd instalment of Jeri Smith-Ready's WVMP Radio Series.
(Wicked Games & Bad to the Bone are books 1&2)

The story goes something like this:-
Ciara Griffin and vampire hotty Shane MacAllister have been together for over 3 years and following events in Bad to the Bone Ciara agreed (reluctantly) to go and work for the Control, a kind of government enforcement agency that make sure vampires stay on the straight and narrow.

Between reacquainting herself with Shane and helping her best friends Lori & David prepare for their wedding Ciara's plate is full...well it gets even fuller when zombies (yes, I said zombies) start popping up out of their graves.

Jeri Smith-Ready has been able to do something with this series that very few good authors have ever accomplished, the characters actually feel real. There were points in this book where I laughed with the characters and others where I sat and cried with them.

The interactions between the characters are so serial at times I almost feel like I've become a peeping tom, especially when it comes to the relationship of Ciara & Shane, it's something that's almost indescribable, they have their problems of course, such as Ciara believes in nothing (her past put pay to any beliefs she had as a child) and Shane believes in everything (God, religion, faith). Apart from Shane and WVMP Radio Ciara really has no faith in anything. This book tests her anti-beliefs and then some.

This book had me at the edge of my seat at times and my mouth gaping open at others.
Jeri Smith-Ready's ideas on vampires is something I've never read before (and I've read a lot of vampire books) it's fresh, it unique and more importantly, it's believable.
If you buy only one new series this month BUY THIS ONE, SERIOUSLY, you will not regret it.

Please don't get me started with the finale, which had me falling off my seat.
Jeri Smith-Ready has a passion for music and this is abundantly clear in her books (each chapter title is a song title), the music the characters play and listen to is eclectic in taste and covers almost a lifetimes changes. If you've read 1&2 you'll know the tastes the DJ's have. In this book the DJ's are far more prominent, especially Spencer, Regina, Noah and especially the human Jeremy. They have become more than secondary characters, they're integral to the story Ciara is telling, without that this series would have far less soul then it does.
Just have to wait till next July for the 4th instalment, now. That. Sucks!
on 20 November 2014
I have enjoyed two Smith-Ready series, so far. Unfortunately the quality of her storytelling seems do diminish greatly with each additional book in the series. I wish I had left Ciara after book #2 and left this book (#3) on the shelf. Borrow don't buy - or save your pennies and quit while you're still having fun!