5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable read!
This is an amazing book. Even if your not a fan of World Of Warcraft or even if you've never even heard of it, i think you will love this book. It is extremely well written, You almost feel sorry for Arthas as he descends into madness and evil. The love story between him and Jaina is very memorable indeed.

All in all a truely fantastic book. I very strongly...
Published on 29 Jun. 2011 by Dominic Foxwell

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad shallow, lacks detail
Overall I enjoyed the Arthas-Rise of the Lich king. My criticism of the book is slight but pertinent.
Published on 12 Sept. 2010 by Mr. G. P. Schofield

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad shallow, lacks detail, 12 Sept. 2010
Mr. G. P. Schofield "fortysixter" (UK, South London) - See all my reviews
I found the story lacked depth in charcaterisation ( I assume they leave WOW the game to do this for you), but already being very aware of the lore behind WOW, I was expecting this book to back it up a little more than it did. The story tended to jump large periods of time, and not clearly explain Arthas's motivation, nor indeed explain particularly well the obsession that the man became subject to.

This obsession drove him on to carry out increasingly terrible acts, and the reader is left to just accept the fact, and not have it explained that there was a voice in this mans head willing him on . From the point that Arthas laid hands on Frostmourne, the Lich King had control of Arthas, even though he did not initially realise it.

A few examples of how the story "leapt" without explaining itself.

:-Arthas hiring the mercs in Northrend, then blaming them for the wrecking of his fleet to his own men. Little reason for this is given . ( I know the reason, as it is played out in WC3, but someone new to the story may not see it )

:- Arthas returning home and killing his father. Almost no reason or justification given.

Anyway, the book now sits, having been read once ( it likely won't get read again) on my bookshelf. It's probably a better book that I could write, but contains nowhere near the detail and depth I would like to see given to my favourite MMO. Simply an "OK " read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable read!, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Arthas (World of Warcraft) (Mass Market Paperback)

All in all a truely fantastic book. I very strongly recommend this to anyone. Gamer or not!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read but not one of Golden's best, 13 Oct. 2012
M. Mohiuddin "book snake" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arthas (World of Warcraft) (Mass Market Paperback)
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King tells the story of the Human and Undead campaigns from WC3, explaining the relationship between Arthas and Jaina, and Uther.

Richly detailed with Arthas's early life, it does tail off when it comes to the game campaigns, so you really have to play the game to know what happens in the middle. As a standalone, there will be huge chunks missing and this is the one of the biggest criticisms of this.

The biggest would be the development of Arthas, and his turning. The beginning captures his anger and vengeance brilliantly but, (without giving too much away) his ultimate conversion is very placid, almost like "I've got the sword, there's nothing on TV, lets destroy the world"
He doesn't have the hell bent evil of the other villians like Archimonde, or Sargeras, or Gul'dan, he doesn't desire power, or justice or anything other than a hatred for the living, and there's no explanation as to WHY he feels like this.

Overall an enjoyable read, but it doesn't rank up with Golden's much better Rise Of the Horde in terms of character development.

2.0 out of 5 stars A great story, poorly written, 6 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Arthas (World of Warcraft) (Mass Market Paperback)
As a newcomer to WoW I found myself enthralled by the tale of Arthas, the young paladin turned Lich King.
The story told in this novel was brilliant from start to finish, tales of love, betrayal, tragedy and loss. Kingdoms brought to their knees by the ruthless Lich King and his scourge.

However, the novel and the quality of the writing is quite poor. I would've preferred the story to be told far more slowly and with more insight into what the characters were thinking. If I'm honest I wanted a book about twice the length - just to flesh it out with quality and depth which this lacks throughout.

I think the developers at Blizzard did fantastic work when conceiving the Lich King storyline - unfortunately Christie Golden doesn't do it much justice in this novel.

I would recommend this book to someone who wants to know what has happened before WoW begins - and has nothing else to read at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite characters here and shows his transformation during he period ..., 28 Feb. 2015
One of my favourite characters here and shows his transformation during he period of WC3. I'm a fan of Christie Golden and she writes well (better than the other authors of WoW books). My only complaint is that key moments in this book feel a little rushed.

She does labour the point a little bit about Arthas and Jaina's relationship and although very important, yes, I feel other key moments in Arthas' change in mental state and shift to lunacy were described as a given that every reader had played WC3 and the 5 mans in the Caverns of Time in WoW, which may not suit all readers.

The take down of Stratholme, the capturing of Frostmourne, Muradin, the battles in Northrend etc... could have been given a little more. But still, after my whining, a great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story but Poorly Wrote, 16 July 2014
Harry (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had desired this novel for some time now, since the days of Wrath of the Lich King. The Hamlet-like story of the Lich King is a rather dramatic tale set by Blizzard and the author Christie Golden does not disappoint in filling in some of the blanks on how and why Arthas became the Lich King.

However, even with the gaps being filled, I have to question the style in which the novel was written. As a writer of fiction I am aware of the concept "show, don't tell", which denotes the writer should show action being taken place instead of telling the reader. Unfortunately, this book has a lot of tell and it outweighs showing.

Apart from this though the book is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Arthas (World of Warcraft) (Mass Market Paperback)
My expectations to this book were quite high - and Christie Golden fulfills them gracefully. It was one of those books I opened and only reluctantly closed when every page was turned. Truly a shattering read, such as the story often is with Arthas. Golden lets you fall so deeply in love with Arthas' charm and good heart that even after all the evil he has done as the Lich King, killing him is heart breaking. Also, worth adding is that the recognisable conversations from the Warcraft III champaign made my heart swell with warm nostalgia.
A wonderfully frustrating book that I'll recommend to anyone, and of course especially those interested in Warcraft lore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Arthas (World of Warcraft) (Mass Market Paperback)
I'd never thought to try to read a world of warcraft novel because I just didn't think it would bring the game to life successfully.
How wrong was I! This book is fantastic, perfectly written and descriptive down to the last detail. There's action, romance and fantasy-based excellence.
Anyone who plays the game and interested about the lore behind it will love it. Even people who don't play the game will love it too. It might even convince them to start playing!

I will be buying more of the novels in the near future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing storyline poorly written, 20 July 2012
Matthew (Narborough, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arthas (World of Warcraft) (Mass Market Paperback)
The books story line is that of arthas's lore. The lore itself is well thought out and very imaginative. The actual execution of the book was poor. I felt that the writer rushed it and knows she has an audience due to the vast world of Warcraft fan base and therefore doesn't have to try.
She's let down blizzard
She's let down arthas
She's let down us- the reader
She let down herself.
Any self respecting writer would not let a sloppy book such as this to be published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 7 Jan. 2014
If you are a fan of the warcraft lore then this book is for you. It had me griped in anticipation for Arthas to become, The Lich King

Arthas (World of Warcraft)
Arthas (World of Warcraft) by Christie Golden (Mass Market Paperback - 26 Jan. 2010)