4.0 out of 5 stars great replica recipes of famous dishes
Oh, Mr Douglas, I declare my undying love for you ... well, that may be going a little too far, but I do admire your work.

As a subscriber to your newsletter, and website, I had to wait the extra couple of months for this to become available here in the UK - but the wait was definitely worth it.

The author has used trial and error and research in...
Published on 7 Dec. 2009 by Su

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not what i thought, thought there would be more recipes that are from where we know in England.
Published 5 months ago by janine

4.0 out of 5 stars great replica recipes of famous dishes, 7 Dec. 2009
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: America's Most Wanted Recipes: Delicious Recipes from Your Family's Favorite Restaurants (Paperback)

The author has used trial and error and research in order to reproduce some of America's most consumed restaurant and outlet food, and his investigating efforts have not been wasted.

The book index was the first thing that received intense scrutiny and the first recipe tried was the one for the famous southern fried chicken (KFC) and it's as spot on as you can get (with one alteration, explained below) without buying it from the outlet.

One difficulty for me was (because I am in England) I don't recognise most of the outlets listed, such as Applebees, Arby, Bullfish, etc, so it is hard for me to know if these recipes are anything like the dishes served in the restaurants. Of those dishes I have tried I have to say that I enjoyed them (mostly - there were a couple that weren't to my personal taste).

Another problem was the ingredients - I have had to research some of the ingredients in order to find alternatives available here in the UK - especially the US branded products. For example, the KFC recipe requires a product called "Accent" which I have discovered is Monosodium Glutamate powder (MSG) and not readily available in the UK (assuming that you would want to add MSG with its reported health side affects).

Some of the ingredients are available but harder to find, I recommend filling in those suggestion and request cards at the supermarkets or trying a specialist outlet - one of the ingredients which was a problem for me was buttermilk, but I was able to discover an outlet eventually.

Mr Douglas points out how much cheaper it is to cook these dishes yourself, but he misses the sense of self-achievement you get when you produce a delicious tasting meal. He also forgets cooking the dishes yourself gives you the ability to ensure that they are not eating anything that they may be allergic to.

It may only be a minor point, but there are no photographs of the final dishes in the book, and considering that we eat with our eyes when using a recipe book (especially if we have no experience of the dish in question) it might have been better to include a few small pictures for those of us who have never seen them.

Overall I have enjoyed this recipe book and I am sure that I will return to it many times in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 8 Mar. 2013
Love this book...living in Scotland its great to have recipes from all my fav places in America....made the Panda Express Orange chicken and it tasted just like the original....will be getting more of these books...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Feb. 2015
These series of books are great only downside is no pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Dec. 2014
Great

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 1 Oct. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but need improvement, 15 Aug. 2013
No pictures and for example it does not tell you how much flower and which type of flower to use with KFC receipe
also the book does not tell you how to make KFC French fries !