1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Military Scifi, 4 Oct 2010
cybermage.se (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ragnarok (The Xan-Sskarn War) (Paperback)
I was underwhelmed by the cover but interested by the blurb. And I am glad I read this shiny new debut novel by Patrick A. Vanner. I am always on the lookout after new military science fiction and this looks like a promising new series.

It is a about Alexandra McLaughlin a Navy commander who have had to jump out, leaving friends and comrades behind to warn Earth of a Xan-Sskarn surprise attack. She is riddled with survivor's guilt but determined to pay the aliens back. But there is a human traitor on the loose and the Xan-Sskarn victories starts to threaten the very survival of the human race. Eventually she might be the only one standing between them and eternal slavery or extinction.

There is some world building but not very extensive instead it is the characters that stand out. Patrick spends a lot of time honing out Alexandra and she is really good. There are some other memorable characters like Barbie the fighter pilot and her new team mates. The Marine Recon squad is also pretty awesome and interesting character wise. I hope we will get to know their background a little more in the next book as they come across a bit shallow in this book.

With a little more effort into the world building this would have been an awesome debut instead of just a very good one. On the other hand this is a book about a war and not about the lives of civilians so I guess Patrick might have made a good choice with dwelling further into leadership problems, staff meetings and the occasional military party.

Ragnarok is a fitting name on this book because in a way it is much more that than I expected and the ending did surprise me a bit even if it felt very satisfying, I want to read the second book in this series soon but I have no idea when it will be out.

Ragnarok (The Xan-Sskarn War)
Ragnarok (The Xan-Sskarn War) by Patrick A. Vanner (Paperback - 7 Sep 2010)
9.87