1.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment, 16 Mar 2009
Jennifer "jengmmac" (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed Eric Flint's series about West Virginia going back in time enormously. The premise is great, and the characters have been superb. I wait anxiously for the new book to emerge, so I can see how everyone is doing, and pre order every one. But the Dreeson Incident is not in the same class as the other books. The characters are much more one dimensional, and even when the old characters are mentioned they are not treated as they have been previously. There is very little continuity with the other books, the text of this book leaps all over the place, seemingly at random, and with no real direction. All in all a real disappointment. I am still trying to get to the end of the book - its boring, and I keep finidng other things to do, or other books to read. If this was an experiment, it failed for me. Please, go back to the winning formula and style. I really want to know what happens to Harry, Melissa, Gretchen, Mike, Jeff et al, but I hope I don't have to suffer through more of this sort of book to find out. I recoomend waiting until the book is remaindered before you buy! You are not missing all that much and will save yourself some money.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Dreeson Incident - Waste of good paper, 7 April 2009
J. Olsen (Dubai, UAE) - See all my reviews
I been reading Eric Flint for year now, and loved every minute of his alternative history tales as well as his hugely funny SF tales likes Rats, Bats & Vats etc. This last book "the dreeson incident" is in my opinion, a HUGE disappointment. It basically takes you on a tour around the central European country side while at the same time introducing an endless row of new names on every page (true characters of the book they never become, just one dimensional names). How a book with a total lack of plot made it past the editor at the publishing house I don't understand. In short - DON'T waste your money on this book, and stay away from any future cooperation book that has Virginia DeMarce name on it, as I seriously doubt Eric Flint contributed much to this publication it bears no resemblance of his writing style anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deepening disapointment, 29 Jan 2009
Fredrik Johnson "Pop" (Nynaeshamn, Sweden) - See all my reviews
I started to read Eric Flint from the beginning, and I thought he was getting better and better. The last two (the bavarian crisis and the dreeson incident) are , in my opinion, simply booring. The first one takes you on tour around Bavaria and and brings the story foward no more than a short story would. The same is true of TDI only more so, now they throw a lot( and i mean alot) of new names on what seems evry page. Most of these names dont seem to appear again.
If the series does not shape up ; well there i plenty of other authors out there that I can spend my money on .

1.0 out of 5 stars Grantville Geneology, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: 1635: The Dreeson Incident (Ring of Fire) (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read every predecessor in the Ring of Fire series and enjoyed them all, even if one or two have tended to stray a little into tedium, I had huge expectations of this one; after all the Dreeson name is famous in the Series.
Having struggled through over 400 pages of turgid detail of who is married to who, who is a cousin of which other person etc I have decided to give up. There is a plot in there but at less than 10% of the book actually dedicated to it, it becomes increasingly difficult to find. A Huegenot plot to kill Gustav Adolfus, Mike Stearn and several other dignitaries and re-ignite a European wide war sounds good but its Byzantine complexity makes it impossible to follow and just as impossible to write. Hidden away in mindless 'hickville' twaddle it just becomes an irrelevance.
A hugely disappointing book - you have been warned!

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh so humdrum, 13 Dec 2010
J. Roycroft "Sci Fi Fan" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is not the Eric Flint that we have come to know and love. While the book is interesting in parts it does not follow the well trodden path of action and fertile imagination that so many other books in the series demonstrate. I enjoyed it up to a point but could put it down and forget about it. In essence this book delves in depth into the detail of daily Grantville life with really very little in the way of action and the almost casual disposal/termination of the poor Mayor. I guess this very slow pace is down to the influence of Virginia DeMarce. Would not recommend the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars very clunky, but it gets better, 27 Oct 2010
This is a book for people already committed to the 1632 books. Probably the worst written of the books so far, and at the start I had some doubts as to whether I'd get through it, but by the finish I was pleased to have read it.

1635: The Dreeson Incident (Ring of Fire)
1635: The Dreeson Incident (Ring of Fire) by Virginia DeMarce (Mass Market Paperback - 31 Aug 2010)
6.50