Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 16 August 2012
This is the first of a series that is a semi-independant story off the main Korval and Liaden series of Lee and Miller. It ties strongly into the Liaden plots at several levels but can be read easily as a stand alone series.

1. Fledgling
2. Saltation
3. Ghost ship
4. Dragon Ship (coming soon)

It can be (recommended) read after 'Mouse and Dragon' which is the link book to the main series. The big Omnibus editions from the Main plot lines are: Dragon Variation, Agent Gambit, Korval's Game, Crystal Variation. This is where Daav 'Korval' goes, and is the tale of Theo his 14 year old 'daughter'. It is another world and culture with it's own pace, priorities and protocols. Very different and as richly drawn as anything we've seen so far from Lee-Miller. Growing up and finding values and skills. Multi-layered sub-plots of wider significance bubble and the pace never lets up as usual.

For those of you not met the series yet, it is space opera but focused not on tech and battles, but on culture and conflict, trade and 'balance'. The tone of dialogue, protocols and etiquette are intelligent, convincing and clearly govern characters and plot. Intuitive grasp of skills needed is well drawn without boring or skimping, well balanced as we follow what it is that makes a pilot.... pros and cons!

A keeper for the bookshelves. On a par with Webber (Honourverse), Bujold (Vor), Moon (Serrano/ Vatta) and the great McCaffrey (who is a fan too). Enjoy!
on 22 March 2014
If you like the books by Anne McCaffrey, you'll probably like this. The Liaden books tends towards the romantic fantasy end of the spectrum and dwells on similar themes, although without the dragons. Hard Sci Fi fans won't find much of interest here but it's well written and decently paced.

The story centres on Theo, awkward and bumbling before discovering her innate talents and her mother, who finds herself rolling up her sleeves to take on the in-fighting and intrigues of a university faculty. It's all fairly gentle stuff, people are, on the whole, just a bit too nice and the Liadens (well, the Korvals at least) are always a bit too good to be true. I'd have loved it at the age of 15 or so but now I'm a bit too old and cynical to allow myself to fall for it now. Frankly, I was craving a bit more bite and black humour by the end of it.
on 12 April 2014
I generally like fairly 'hard' science-fiction (Asimov, Weber, Moon, Shepherd etc) and this academic world was definitely a bit different for me. However, once I started reading and got past the introduction I found myself not wanting to put the book down and having to ration myself to avoid exhaustion the next day.

The heroine avoided perfection admirably yet it was clear from an early point that something pleasantly spectacular would emerge later on. Suspense was maintained, whilst enough clues were given to lay a bread trail to keep one's interest going.

I have never bought their books before but it looks like I am going to have to now!
on 8 April 2013
I loved Theo, her parents and the cats, not forgetting all the other fascinating characters in this tale of a girl's coming of age. The contrast between the home place of Theo (rigidly matriarchal and scholastic) and the freedom Theo encounters on the ship are a major part of what made the story so interesting for me. I look forward to the continuation of this story in Salutations as soon as possible.
on 28 December 2014
I was sceptic getting some SF. I am more of fantasy maniac but I've came across these two authors reading a short story in a magazine or something. The world in this series is really complex and beautiful full of really great surprises. Take it from an old Fantasy maniac... if you would like to try some SF, this series is definitely a good point to start .
on 10 August 2013
I usually love Sci-Fi / Science Fantasy books. This is the first one that I didn't finish; it seemed to start in the middle with lots unexplained and no real rhyme or reason for what is going on. Didn't build any affinity with the lead character. This series is definitely not for me and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
on 24 May 2013
I loive the whole Liaden series and highly recomonned this side story about Theo. She is a great character and this whole series has joined my comfort book shelf, i can just always re-read them and enkoy them all over again.
on 24 January 2014
an enjoyable book just as all the other books in the leaden series have been. just wish I could get a correct reading order as I am to lazy to try and put a list together
on 16 December 2013
Another excellent story by these authors. A coming of age story, literally but also on other levels. Very good with believable and likeable characters.
on 23 July 2014
verey good i found it more enjoyable the second reading