on 27 August 2010
I have really enjoyed all of Kresley Cole's "immortals after dark" series. Her writing is consistently good.

Demon from the dark has a really different tone. Most of the other books are REALLY hot stuff with some action humour and romance thrown in. I found this to be be more romance and action with a little bit of the hot stuff but very little humour. I quite liked the change in tone although I hope it goes back to what it was for the next book. I missed the humour in particular.

Carrow the witch has featured in passing in the previous stories and here we find out the explanation for her wild behaviour. She finds herself in a difficult situation, captured and forced to betray a vemon she has never met to save her adopted daughter. The vemon concerned, Malkom, is a great character; the absolute highlight of the book. Their scenes together in the first half of the book are great to read. They struggle to communicate, with Malkom having forgotten English and Carrow having very limited demonish. So when he recognises her as his other half, his attempts to explain to her how he feels are so endearing. They made my heart go flip-flop.

There is a side-plot that has been running through the last few books about Lothaire and his mysterious goals and another about various immortals being snatched from their families. These plotlines both continue and are left to be concluded in further books. There are also clear openings for Regin's story, Lanthe's story and possibly Lothaire's story.

I will continue to buy this series and I suspect, I will enjoy this installment even more when I have read it a couple of times. Recommended to Kresley Cole fans.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindle: If you are considering the Kindle edition, I would wait. It is littered with typos, mispelt character names and other mistakes the whole way through. I have the paperback and the Kindle edition and those mistakes are not in the paperback. I have emailed the epublisher to complain and I will remove this comment if they update the Kindle edition. I have NOT based my star rating on this problem, it is purely a rating for the story.

2nd EDIT- I have heard back from the publishers and they are going to correct the mistakes that I have pointed out.
on 26 August 2010
Basic storyline is...

Demon Malkin has been made into a Scarba, a lethal mix of Vampire & Demon, you could say he has a few issues, having to survive in the harshest of climates he is reviled among his kind, an outcast & an abomination. He comes across as a neandrathal, animalistic & without having ever known love or loyalty.

Carrow who's confident, clever, witty, sarcastic, a powerful witch is coerced into going onto his plain of existance to lure him into the hands of mortal fanatics. They want Malkin, not ever having captured one of his kind before, so they can study any weakness. Already they have a menagerie of immortals caged & collared. It's here new intriguing characters are introduced, you get to meet character threads for future novels, I think.

The interactions & humour between Malkin & Carrow make this a memorable love story, long after you've read the last page. I really do not want to spill any spoilers, it's best just to read the book, if you like this genre you will love it.

We get reintroduced to the indominatable 'nucking futs' oracle Nix, who is still a little tapped & driving everyone crazy with her cryptic visions & unhelpful words of wisdom, yet she is still a master of manipulation & I sometimes wonder if's she as mad as she makes out.

I think this is going to suppass her previous novels & will be become one of my favourites in the series so far, it used to be Hunger like No Other, but Demon After Dark has just pipped it to the post.

I unreservedly give this a 5 Star, KC is back, a master at the romantic fantasy genre. It can be read on it's own, even though it is part of a series. Go on give your self a treat.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 August 2010
In the 8th full length novel of her IAD series KC has created her most tortured hero yet in the form of Malkom Slaine. A Vemon; a rare vampiric demon, he is stronger, faster, and far more aggressive than many of this series previous heroes. Yet like those alpha males, Malkom is about to meet a woman that can bring him to his knees.

This lucky woman is Carrow, a young witch who is blackmailed into entering Malkom's hellish world and tasked with bringing him back through a portal to face experimentation. For 6 days Carrow learns to understand Malkom and falls deeply in love with him, yet he will face his greatest betrayal (and there have been some nasty ones in his past) at the hands of Carrow, his demonic and vampiric mate.

Phew "Demon From The Dark" is one hell of a book and a must read for fans of this series. The 400+ pages passed far too swiftly as an array of battles, misunderstandings, stark moments of personal pain, humour and hot passionate scenes took place. Again this author created a mismatched but perfect together couple and set them on an adventure that entertained this reader enormously. Familiar faces make an appearance, and some of these immortals are facing their own horrors as Malkom and Carrow muddle their way through falling in love and revealing a vulnerable side to the other. "The Immortals After Dark" series is proving to be one of my favourite series in the paranormal romance genre, and my enjoyment of this series increases with every new book. Come on though KC, isn't it about time Regin the Radiant had her own story, after all she could use some serious TLC from Mr Right considering what she endures in this book.
on 31 August 2010
As other reviewers have given in-depth summaries of the plot I will be brief...in a nutshell the story focuses on Carrow (a party-girl witch with abandonment issues) and Malkom (a demon/vampire hybrid with some serious issues of his own, dating back to being a blood-slave as a child), who are fated mates. The story begins with Carrow being captured by a sinister human organisation taking immortals to study for their own mysterious and malevolent purposes. She is blackmailed by this organisation to capture Malkom - who lives in a treacherous demon realm holed up in a mountain lair - under threat of torture, and driven with the promise of her own freedom and that of a young witch also captured by the humans as an incentive.

Like many, I really enjoy this series and to begin with I thought this was going to be one of the good ones - however I felt that the first half of the story was much better than the second, and this spoiled some of my enjoyment of the book. The interactions between Carrow and Malkom to begin with were excellent and very entertaining, and they seemed like a good match for each other. The language barrier was a bit frustrating, and I couldn't help think all their problems might have been solved if they could have communicated with each other, but I doubt that would have made such an interesting story and it was a minor frustration. The main issue I had with this instalment was how Carrow felt she had to betray Malkom to save the young witch Ruby. I found Carrow's relationship with Ruby a trifle forced and unrealistic, given that she knows her for a couple of weeks and immediately starts loving her like a daughter when her mother is killed - and eventually it began to annoy me that this was the fuel for her betrayal of Malkom. The child Ruby comes across as spoiled, and unfortunately I spent most of the time reading about her wishing she would disappear. Understandably, after her betrayal of him, Malkom and Carrow's relationship goes a bit sour and the rest of the book involves her trying to make it up to him.

Another thing about this instalment in the series which began to bother me a bit was the constant torture or reference to torture - which seemed a bit excessive and detailed. I'm not normally overly bothered by that sort of thing, but it was quite explicit to the storyline and a lot of the characters (and especially Malkom) are tortured horribly at some point in the book.

However these problems aside, this book still has all the elements which make up a good Immortals After Dark story and is well worth a read to any fans. Malkom is a very good hero a bit different in some ways to the usual Kresley Cole male, and everything that happened to him in his past really makes you feel for him. Even Carrow - when not interacting with the brat - was a likeable character and her powers are also not of the usual kick-ass variety. One thing I really enjoyed about this book was the glimpses into the stories of other immortals they encounter, good and bad, and the potential for those stories to be told is definitely something to look forward to. Overall a 4/5 as I was a bit disappointed at the lost potential, but still head and shoulders above most other fantasy/romance out there.
on 26 August 2010
With DEMON FROM THE DARK Kresley Cole steers the overall plot arc to new heights and possibilities. From the moment I started reading this new IAD novel the story pulsated with the force of new threats and dangers, lots of recurring and new characters, and I was whisked away to the demon hell plane where a blooming romance just wow-ed me. I couldn't get enough of the plot arc but the chemistry between Malkom and Carrow was absolutely the dream of any romance lover.

The reasons behind Carrows introduction to Malkom on his demonic hell plane aim for enough drama as is but I was temporarily completely absorbed by the off-the-chart magnetic pull between these two main characters. The language barrier created misunderstandings and the internal thoughts of both Carrow and Malkom were at times endearing, emanating anger or frustration but most of all it endeared me so. Especially Malkom's. The time spend in Malkom's cave, which actually encompassed quite a few chapters and about five or six days, was rife with an abundance of conflicting emotions. At one hand Carrow is determined to do what needs to be done and at the other hand Malkom mesmerizes and enamors her. Not only are Kresley Cole's signature sensually charged scenes present, the bathing scene is toe curling good and Malkom's kisses are definitely getting me hot and bothered, but there's also room for their back story's to unfold.

Carrow is a Witch and draws her power from happiness. She's is known as a party-girl but besides her cheery, upbeat nature there is also a loneliness in her that was heart breaking at times. One of the things that made Carrow such a formidable character to read is that she gives as good as she gets. She has a quick-witted tongue, she can fight and can take a punch but in the presence of those she loves there is a wicked and softer side surfacing. She has backbone but also has her vulnerabilities and it turned her in to a great opponent for Malkom.

Malkom was without a doubt a male who just spoke to all my female wants and needs for a flawed hero. He was a blood slave turned commander, he takes the trust-issue to a whole other level and his past gives the heart wrenching reasons. I really was able to understand what drove him with his monologues due to the language barrier. His resilience, his willingness to discover, learn, open up bit by bit spoke of an inner strength and I fell for him just as hard as Carrow was. The sum of his personality traits wooed me at every turn and he is one of the reasons that make DEMON FROM THE DARK so special.

Of course the romance couldn't remain all growing lovey-dovey as the plot came back full force that spun Malkom and Carrow's world on their axes. The Ascension has reached another chapter with The Order and some of my favorite factions got hit hard, on a very personal level, and my anger rose with the characters at what was done. Lanthe, Regin, Uillean MacRieve, I love all these characters, the good ones and even the bad ones because together they shape a fascinating world where battles are fought, romance is worth everything and friendships are forged and treasured. The humor, especially coming from Lanthe, is present but toned down a bit for a somewhat grittier plot but the dialogues between all characters are crisp, acerbic at times and sizzle with their personalities.

With the plot and romance steaming full ahead there is a child character introduced who grabbed my attention as well, she's a seven year old witch named Ruby. I always enjoyed the Witch faction but it also played second violin to the Valkyrie's with all its beloved characters. I can tell you that with this entry Kresley Cole really let the Witches come in to play and I love the fact that each faction has its own strengths. The ending really ups the ante in terms of a recap of events have been shared, decisions are made and action will follow but I will have to wait for the next novel to discover how it will all play out.

With DEMON FROM THE DARK Kresley Cole does not only give me charismatic and unique characters whose personalities leap of the pages, or a fast-paced intriguing plot, or a powerful, seductive and sensual-laden romance. She does it all and fuses it with her strong and imaginative writing voice which just sucked me in and took me on a grand journey. I can only hope now that there is much more in store for us readers since this series has been a fantastic ride so far.
4.5 stars
on 12 October 2010
Where have you been all my life Kresley Cole? This book rocked. I usually find PNR ok, not as good as UF. It's all the romance and not enough action, well here, I loved it.

Immortals are being kidnapped and kept in a prison, some experimented on, and tortured. Carrow Graie, a witch, gets an ultimatum, capture Malkom, bring him there and regain her freedom. Malkom lives in Oblivion, where vampires have destroyed their demon kingdom. He hates them, and he can't live with demons either since he is an abomination.

This one, what a savage brute Malkom was, and I just melted, even when he rather annoyingly begged for a good time. It was impossible not care for his tortured soul, but then I am a sucker for heroes like that. The wounded, broken ones that do not believe anyone could ever love them. And here someone falls for him, because deep in he is such a good soul, and just wants to protect here.

My heat even stopped at one time, I knew the truth, but since he did not, it was hard to read. He is not a man to betray.

Carrow, I guess she was ok, I honestly didn't pay much attention to her, lol, just kidding. She was the right woman for him. And it sure takes a real brave woman to handle him too.

This book had a great history with all the different beings walking around in our world and in other dimensions. It had action and drama, considering that wicked men wants to capture and erase immortals from the face of the earth. It has them fleeing from other demons and strange creatures, and it has the love, passion, some things that made me giggle.

I can't believe I found this book first now, at book 10. Also it was easy to just jump in with out knowing anything.

Final thoughts: I even think this book was the best paranormal romance I have ever read.
on 14 September 2010
Carrow Graie, a witch, finds herself captured, along with a group of other immortals, and then she alone is used as bait to bring Malkom Slaine - a legendary vampire demon - back to the people who captured her. To ensure she does as she is told they hold something important to her. This means she must do everything in her power to obey the orders given to her. As she spends more time with Malkom she comes to care for him, but that doesn't change what she has to do. But what will Malkom, who has been betrayed throughout his life, do when he learns of this latest betrayal at the hands of his fated love?

Whilst anxiously waiting for my own copy of this book to arrive, I read a mixed bag of reviews; for every one that said how great the book was, there was another that said the writing had changed, and not for the better. So it was with some degree of trepidation that I started reading. It's undeniable that there is a slightly different tone to the book, but that is in no way a bad thing, in my opinion. The plotline which was introduced in the very first book of the series is drawing inexorably closer to its culmination with every book, which means that pages which were once perhaps devoted solely to character building must now be used to help along the advancing story. That being said, I don't think there was a noticeable detraction from the time that the hero and heroine spent together. Instead, the page time of the secondary characters is cut down. Although these characters provide much of the humour throughout the series, their absence merely gives the story a tighter feel, a sense that it is moving on; the only problem I have with this is that I would much rather the series went on indefinitely.

People have also mentioned that Carrow becomes less of her wild self as the book goes on, but I think this is completely understandable: first she is kidnapped and held with the constant threat of violence, then she is forced to do something she does not want to do under the threat of violence to somebody she loves, and in doing this she has to deceive and betray her mate, after which she is suddenly a mother. This is a hell of a lot of responsibilty to take on and I think the development of Carrow's character is one of the better aspects of the book, which is quite a feat as, in my opinion, the book is all amazing.

Admittedly, there are flaws, as there are with every book. I think that the way in which Carrow's spells work was a little too convenient to the plot, and there may have been other little things like that which did not detract from my enjoyment, but which I noticed. However, I am not attempting to say that this book is perfect. I just think that, in comparison to the other books in the series, this comes out favourably.
on 20 October 2010
I love Kresley's paranormal fantasy series! I was hooked from book one and there isn't one of the books that I don't like and this continues with Demon from the Dark.
At the end of Pleasure of a Dark Prince, immortals were disappearing and obviously in this book we find out how and why and by whom ...
The couple of Carrow and Malkom I really liked. A party witch that had to curb her ways when her little niece Ruby is left orphaned and a Vemon that that has to overcome so much to be with Carrow.
Betrayal of course had to be thrown into the mix...couldn't possibly be simple for Malkom and Carrow.
Overall this book is a great next instalment of the immortals series- great couple and great plot. This hasn't taken the place of my other favs in the series (Bowen and Mariketa) but its close.
I am definitely looking forward to the next book- Regin's!!!!
I love this series and i have every book so far, this book never let me down.
Kresley is a brilliant author, she writes stories with great description, context and complexity and it is very hard to put them down once you start reading them.
I look forward to many more to come !!
Once again Cole hits the mark giving us the perfect mix of hot steamy sex and character driven plot. As with previous books in this series this one is an enjoyable comfortable read. The world that Cole has provided us is as familiar to me as our own which makes slipping between the pages of this book effortless.

Malkom was.... oh my word I don't even know where to start. Ok so in the beginning I think its fair to say he was very misunderstood. The fact that he could only speak Demonish and Carrow knew very little didn't help. On more than one occasion my heart broke for this poor man, who on the surface seems like quite the brute but as his story unfolds we see a completely different part to him, a really vulnerable part of him. I'm not ashamed to admit that on more than one occasion my heart broke for Malkom.

Carrow appears to be really well put together on the surface, but once you scratch the surface you realise she's been left almost as emotionally damaged by her past as Malkom has by his. And finally she finds a way to be happy, a chance to be truly happy but she's in an impossible situation.

I read this book in one day. And when I was finished I cursed Cole because I wanted more and I know the next book is going to feature another couple and although we might see some more of Malkom and Carrow it wont be the same. This was my favourite book in the series so far... and I know I say that after every book, but that's because Cole improves every book