5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch Nikon D7000
Published on 22 July 2011 by George R. Profit

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great!
Published 17 months ago by Phil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch Nikon D7000, 22 July 2011
This review is from: David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography (Paperback)
David Busch has a well-deserved reputation as one of the best authors of clear, practical, camera guides. I have used his guides in the past for my Nikon D60 and Canon G11 and consider his associated guide to be an essential accessory to any new camera. However, this guide on the Nikon D7000 is a whole order different from the two I referred to. This is a master reference document, laid out in a completely logical format with crystal clear descriptions of all of the D7000's many features, options and capabilities. I could not recommend it more highly as essential for all D7000 purchasers who are keen amateurs and for whom the D7000 is a significant step up from their previous digital camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the doctor ordered, 3 Aug. 2011
I made the mistake of buying John Batdorff's book (From Snapshots to Great Shots - the title should have warned me!) but at that time David Busch's book hadn't been released. David's book, by comparison, is properly comprehensive and clearly aimed at photographers who have used a SLR before and now want to know how to leverage the full functionality of the D7000. I have found it an excellent reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book on how to use the Nikon D7000, 20 Dec. 2011
First if all I am not new to photography, having learn't my trade on 32mm / 120mm formats. After deciding to take the plunge I purchased a D7000 over the more expensive D300 / D700 for reasons you will probably be aware of. The standard Nikon manual that comes with the camera is tedious beyond belief but I have never been a fan of technical books. After spending 30 minutes or so I opted for this one.

When I first received the book i was quite surprised at it's size, the cover, pages and content are all of a very high quality. The chapters and content are laid out in a logical manner and not only does it cover everything you need it is also an enjoyable read. The book is crammed full of colour photographs. The topics are covered in sufficient depth and include everything you need to know and there is a handy section on updating your firmware. The book dose not just describe what the D7000 functions are like other books I have seen, it tells you why you should be using them which adds context.

This is a really useful book and even though I would describe myself as having a very good knowledge on photography I think there is something for everyone in this book. If I upgrade my camera in the future I would have no hesitation in buying a book by this author. The book I would suggest is too big for your camera bag, there is also a stripped down version which some people may prefer. (for me I want as much information as possible). There is also a handy little iPhone App by this the same Author. You have to pay extra (£6 I think) but that's my field guide when I am out-and-about.

In summary, well written, good value and very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthusiast still found lots of help in here, 22 Nov. 2011
The D7000 is a big step up from my early DSLR, and whilst competent with composition and exposure, Busch's book has flattened my learning curve considerably. It's comprehensive (3cm thick!), written in an easy style which avoids being irritating or nerdy. The format is logical and it does absolutely get you into the depths of the D7000 and provides an understanding of how to to use the camera's features to provide much better shots, sooner. Well worth the £15 on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guidebook, 27 Nov. 2011
I first came across David Busch several years ago when I bought his field guide for the Nikon D80.I have recently upgraded to the D7000 and did not think twice about purchasing his guide for my current camera as it has a lot more features than the D80.Without a doubt the D7000 guide is an excellent buy and takes the reader through every menu and setup programme in language and instructions that are easy to follow.Although the D7000 is,I believe,not aimed at the beginner coming into digital photography some of the guide does cover topics that the user will already be familiar with,but as the old saying goes 'You can never have too much information'.
If anyone is thinking of buying Davids book you will not be disappointed in the wealth of information compared to the Nikon instruction book that comes with the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography, 30 Nov. 2011
This really is quite a tome, - a most comprehensive and well written book, - far better and clearer read than the Nikon D7000 manual that comes with the camera. I thoroughly recommend it to all but professional photographers and the most experienced amatuer purchasers of the camera. However, as complete, clear and excellent as it undoubtedly is, it is not, - nor was it intended to be, - a book one might just pop into one's camera bag or rucksack. It is just too darn big and heavy! For such convenience, David Busch's "Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D7000", containing essential information about settings, menus and options in a spiral-bound lay-flat book is the answer. He is an excellent writer of Nikon camera guides, probably the very best in my view. I am delighted to have this book as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D7000 Guide, 17 Nov. 2011
Y. Gladman (UK) - See all my reviews
Was looking for a more detailed guide for my D7000, This guide does take over where the manual leaves off. Explains the functions, menus and short cuts. At first I thought the book rather expensive but on reading reviews decided to pay the extra for this book, really glad that I did. This guide will be a useful for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Book That Should Be Supplied With The Nikon D7000, 29 Aug. 2014
I purchased this book to get more information on the D7000 before purchasing the camera about one year later.
I had purchased this author's guide to the Nikon D90 some years previously and found it very useful as I was new to digital photography.
The guide to the D7000 provided a lot of useful information on the potential new camera by describing both the differences and also the similarity between the 2 cameras, some text covered the same basics but the most of the text covered the D7000's many settings.
In summary this book is very readable where the supplied book with the camera is not, I would recommend purchasing this book in order to get best from the D7000 , the information may be in Nikon's supplied manual , but may take a lifetime to find.
J.A.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's In There Somewhere..., 19 July 2012
What to know how to use your sparkling new camera? Then read this book - if you have the time. There's a lot of it, but in comparison with similar books I've read, I like this the most. It's all in there, but as a reference book sometimes it takes a bit of digging. No complaints, recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great!, 25 Sept. 2013
Phil (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
Not entirely sure how this book has received such great reviews, it seems to me that there are glaring omissions. When i first received this book I wanted to know how to set up the U1 and U2 modes, this book just states that the camera has these modes for quickly recalling pre programmed settings.... There is no mention of how or why, so I had to refer to the user manual anyway. The start of the book is all about how great the writer thinks he is and the rest does contain useful info but it is just way too padded out and long winded. I would give it a miss, especially at this price, and buy one of the other guides.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography
David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David Busch (Paperback - 13 Jun. 2011)