5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to 'gaming the classroom' with case studies, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game (Paperback)
Lee Sheldon sets out his own experiences of turning a US college class into a game through the use of video gaming terminology and motivational game mechanics, such as experience points (XP), questing etc. As an experienced video game designer, as well as US professor, he writes with authority and from a background of great expertise in the gaming field.

I really enjoyed the author's down-to-earth style and readable prose. There is a good variety of case studies too, in addition to detail about his own experiences of 'gaming the classroom'. He writes with great honesty about the triumphs and pitfalls of his journey.

For teachers and educators, the section by Marie-Pierre Huguet, of Rensselaer Polytecnic Institute in the US, adds a pedagogical view, with links to learning theory from Piaget, Bruner and Vygotsky, which helps to anchor the text in sound educational theory as well as practice.

The case studies, all from the US, range from 8th grade (age 12) to graduate collage students, and all provide a new insight into the field of gamification in education.

I loved it, a great introduction and food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational view of how to gamify the classroom, 25 Jun 2013
Andrew Dalby "ardalby" (oxford) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book presents the next steps in progressive education. The problem with rote learning and didactic methods is that they are not real learning. They are revise for the exam and then forget it "learning". People learn best outside of the classroom and so this book shows how we can really flip the classroom and turn it into an environment where students learn by playing games. The aim is to use video game design to design learning experiences. The author is lucky that his own courses are on gaming and so he has an audience that is receptive to this revolution in teaching. But he presents case studies to show that it can be used in a broader context and suggests that there is no subject in which some aspect cannot be made into a game.

At my institution this week we had a session where students showed off the games they have developed in a collaboration between politics and software engineering. My own subject is going to be harder to gamify but after reading this book I have been persuaded that it can be and I have already started aligning the learning outcomes and classes to the gaming structures from the books.

It is a wonderful book that is very easy to read and that is inspirational. It has given me the confidence and framework for developing my own gamified courses and I think that it will become a classic in the field.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not for me, 21 April 2013
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a colleague, in order to explore innovative teaching methods. I found it well-structured and easy to follow, even for a non-gamer like me. The case studies were useful.

Ultimately I concluded that the methods outlined were unlikely to work in my own institution.

The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game
The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework as a Game by Lee Sheldon (Paperback - 27 Jun 2011)