Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 December 2009
David Busch's D300s is a very useful supplement to the Nikon manual for the D300s and essentially covers in some detail the operation and menu options of the camera. The book is very easy to read and understand. One of the main benefits of the book is that it explains not only what the various options and buttons on the D300s do, but how and in what circumstance to use them. It does this in a very user friendly manner and with few assumptions about previous photographic knowledge. The book is large with 525 pages and includes useful items on general digital photography such as depth of field, flash photography, f/stops and shutter speeds and working with lenses, though always with reference to Nikon accessories. It gives a detailed run through of the camera knobs and buttons and the operation and options of the menu system.

The book is well illustrated in colour throughout except where black and white is used for a specific illustrative purpose. Its main readership would be anyone who wants to increase their knowledge of the D300s capabilities. It is comprehensive and covers many areas of general photography not specific to the D300s. I have certainly found the book most useful.

Why only four stars. Well there are a number of unfortunate text errors in the book through poor quality control. Most are obvious, but I was left wondering about any less obvious errors which I may have missed. Page 37 indicates that use of the "Autofocus Points" will be dealt with in more detail in Chapter 2. Unfortunately there is precious little extra information in Chapter 2, Chapter 7 page 280 is the place to look. On page 38 the "Info" button is referenced and confused with the position and icon of the "Help/Protect" button. On page 56 mention is made of use of the "AF-ON" button which is cross-referenced to Chapter 6 for more detail, the nearest I could find to any detail was on page 170 in Chapter 4. On page 68, "Active D-Lighting" is cross referenced to Chapter 4, in fact it should be Chapter 3, and on page 255, "Shutter Priority" is given the icon "A" where the icon should be "S". In the index page 496 under the entry for "AF-ON button", this is a duplicated reference to the "AE-L/AF-L button" which already has its own entry. In my view these errors should have been sorted at source and would not have occurred if a proper quality control was in place.
on 13 March 2010
I upgraded to the Nikon D300s from Pentax K20D, and although I knew the basics of using a digital camera, I really wanted to improve my skills as I learned how to use the much more advanced Nikon D300s. I have never read any of David's Busch's books But I thought I'll give them a try and see if the book is any good I have to admitted I was pleasantly surprised. The author not only goes through how every feature and menu operates, but more importantly, he give you his suggestions and reasons on why you'd want to use each feature All in easy to understand format. I will be buying a David Busch Guide. I recommend it highly!
on 3 June 2010
This is an excellent book.

It explains all the features of the D300s in a much clearer manner than the manual and it does it in a very clear and precise way and does not assume you are an expert photographer to begin with.

I am really getting a lot more out of my camera having read this and I am getting better pictures too!

Reading this has been a real benefit.

Highly recommended.
on 24 January 2013
It did not meet my expectations in spite of the volume and price of the book. Practically most of the text is found in tha manufacturer guide book. A waste
on 5 March 2011
An excellent book, clear and concise and very informative covering everything from menus to lens calibration. I highly recommend it.
on 24 November 2011
I upgraded my Camera to a Nikon D300s and found the accompanying manual rather daunting. David Busch's Guide is absolutely clear in decribing the use and settings of the D300s.His explaination of each menu item was excellent and his recommendations spot on.Without this guide it would have taken twice as long to master this camera.David Busch's Nikon D300s Guide to Digital SLR Photography
on 20 January 2012
Nikon europe short change their customers with only a printed manual. The electronic version cannot be printed or copy/paste sections unlike Nikon USA which does not password protect its manuals. I purchased this as a second paper copy. It is a very good reference book and goes well beyond the Nikon Manual for the prosumer.
on 23 April 2012
If you want a comprehensive, easy to understand manual for your Nikon D300s then this is the book for you.
on 5 September 2014